Alt Accounts

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Earth, 20 Apr 2011.

Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

As things are now the MCP allows alts as long as the alts arent used to flame or violate Community Standards. Alts are not referred to in either the Community Standards or in the Inhabitant Rights. Should they be? Perhaps so.

Description of an alt: a secondary, alternate account.

Community Standards
    Is account sharing ok? Multi-user accounts?​
    A clear policy outlining acceptable alt usage, or​
    A clear policy forbidding the use of alts​
    Inhabitant Rights
    In any event the "right to privacy" section of the Rights could address an Inhabitants right against alt disclosure.​

Please be aware that this thread is not intended as a soapbox. This is not the thread to demand accountability of anyone for past actions, focus on others, try to work out who is an alt, and so on. This thread is about drafting policy.
    This is also my first governance thread. I don't want this to spiral out of control into flaming, nastiness, or negativity. Although I really dread to issue infraction points, I will do it if need be.

So please share with us you thoughts on a gV alt policy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Will there be another thread discussing multi-user accounts? Or are they covered in the more general "alt" definition here?

• Like Like x 2
  3. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Yes, my question is about "account sharing." What will be the Community Standard for that?

4. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

We can include multi-users/account sharing in this discussion.
    I will edit the post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

What other purpose could an alt possibly have on a forum?

• Like Like x 2
  6. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Thank you. And best wishes on your first governance thread.

7. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

Sometimes alts are used as a gag (an alt named Santa during Christmas for example). Sometimes forum alts are used much the same way as SL alts- as two distinct personalities. Sometimes alts are used to separate a personal identity from a professional identity.

• Like Like x 3
  8. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

Oh.

9. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Sometimes alts are used to separate members from planets.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Bulldick!

Bulldick! Rampaging
    Notamused

Trying to combine the idea of alts management and privacy seems weird. How would anyone "detect" an alt account if not by analyzing source routing information of the accounts being considered?

:hug:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Old Familiar Face

Old Familiar Face Patriarch of the CCC

What about separate marketing identities from personal ones, and would that count as Spam as defined in the CS?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Before I can formulate and opinion, I need to know whether Mars is reasonably capable of identifying alts.

A related but separate question, and just as important if not more so, is Mars reasonably capable of identifying multi-user accounts?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Professional identity? You mean like as a business owner in SL or some other virtual reality? Allowing you to "misbehave" so that you don't lose sales or business for being an imbecile.
    So alts are only allowed on major holidays then so that Santas and Easter Bunnies can play goofs on the community. Otherwise, the fine line between baiting, trolling, bullying and flaming tends to become blurred or exploited by the butthurt and the damned.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Old Familiar Face

Old Familiar Face Patriarch of the CCC

Posting styles.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

The privacy issue related to an administrator outting an alt. Do you think it is ok for them to do so? Would it depend upon circumstances? How they determine who is an alt, or even if they are correct in their judgement is a whole new issue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. McLovin

Nerdy

I use alts on SL to have sex with myself. It takes the loneliness out of masturbating to a cartoon character.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

I don't have an issue with account sharing, but I'm not sure what the cons would be of just that fact alone.
    I can see a multi-user account used in the same way as some alts are. It's possible it could just be for fun.
    If anyone can tell me the pitfalls of a multi-user account, please let me know.

I think alts should be allowed, I don't know of that ever having been a real issue.
    Their identity should not be able to be seen through account information.

Spamming, flame/troll-ONLY, commercial use... these are things an alt shouldn't be used for.
    Mainly because NO account is allowed to be used for those purposes, alt or not.

18. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

If the Planets are unable to determine with any certainty whether an account is an alt or a multi-user account then this thread is moot.
    I have no interest in ever utilizing an alt or multi user account so it is a non issue for me anyway save for the abuse that tends to result from the other's abuse of the capability.
    I am against them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. McLovin

Nerdy

What's wrong with the Larry account anyway? Why did you ban the account?

20. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

Marketing is not forbidden by the community standards- although it does appear the commercial subforum hasnt actually been created yet. I will see about getting that fixed.
    I don't know the specifics but I would think he does. I will ask.
    Not necessarily misbehave. But if you buttered your bread by selling scripted vendors you might be hesitant to use that name to get into flame wars about politics and religion.
    Holidays were an example not an exception.

• Like Like x 1
Topic Status:
Read-only.