Alt Accounts

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Earth, 20 Apr 2011.

Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Old Familiar Face

Old Familiar Face Patriarch of the CCC

What guarantees would we the posters have of knowing that as soon as Mod takes off his/her ModMask that the identity of the alt is safe?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Old Familiar Face

Point of clarification. The question was not is it forbidden, the question was is it spam as defined by the CS?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

This is not the thread to discuss that in. In any case the quote in OP is the only information on that I even have.

4. Old Familiar Face

Ultimately, the problem with account sharing is that you, irregardless of if you were the active member or not, are responsible for every action of the shared account.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

I have no way of determining alts that you dont also have. I cannot see IP addresses or anything like that. To say that Mars is paranoid about "rogue modules" is an understatement.
    No, it would not be considered spam to name yourself 'bobs widgets', load your sig with links to your site, then post as any normal user does.

6. Old Familiar Face

The question was not what access to information do you have, but rather what access to information does your more senior Mods have.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Keep in mind, however...that the MEMBERS here who POPULATE the modules WILL know who is behind ANY and ALL alts. That's one of those 'unfair advantages' that were discussed, but dismissed, in my mind, both prematurely and unwisely.

• Like Like x 3
  8. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

Yes, it is. You started a thread about alt accounts and I brought up an alt account. If you don't want to hold a discussion about a topic--don't start the discussion.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

So Earth can't determine which accounts are alts. Then the question as Off points out is, can Mars? If not, then this thread is a useless exercise.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

And if so, what assurance is there that the information will not 'trickle down' on an 'as needed' basis to lesser modules. For instance, both Pep and I have been "followed" by deimos almost from the day we started. Deimos isn't following ANY other members. Anyone else find that a bit off-putting? earth, care to comment on this? It has some bearing on the concerns of 'alt security', albeit indirectly...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

It was a "bot" apparently and was not banned but disabled. Though it was seen here after Mars made that declaration.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Old Familiar Face

Point of clarification:

When can we get a Mod who is both willing, and able to answer questions about a topic they bring up for discussion?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

The only module that would have unfettered access to information is Mars.That isnt so surprising. Any "founder" will have the same access. Earth (and the others i believe) have access to very limited information. Far more limited than a moderator on any other forum I have moderated. Like I said Mars is paranoid about rogue Modules.
    I have no alt-spotting tools available to me that you do not have yourself.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

No. It is not. This is a thread about creating an alt policy. Please stop derailing the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  15. McLovin

Nerdy

The only thing that's going to happen in an alt discussion on an internet forum is every troll worth their salt is going to show up to exploit the execption to the rule and then claim unfair moderation when they use the exception.

It's lame. There's no need for it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Old Familiar Face

Yes, as a matter of fact it is surprising that Mods would have such limited access to information that would tend to lend aid in the security of this site. Additionally it is astounding that you, a Mod would not be trusted by the Senior Mod after being promoted from the ranks of your fellow posters.

However that is all besides the point and I can accept the answer, regardless of how uneasy I am with the details around the answer.

• Like Like x 2
  17. McLovin

Nerdy

Yes. It is. I'm not derailing the thread--you are. You started a thread about alt policy and I'm posting in it about (what else) alt policy!

Please stop derailing your own thread.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

Deimos started following you the other day. Lee even posted a thread drawing attention to the fact that he had been looking at your profile.
    But in any case you have the same assurance that the info wont trickle down as you do on any other forum.

19. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

And that would be the perceived credibility and integrity of the owner and their functionaries wouldn't it?

20. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
Topic Status:
Read-only.