Alt Accounts

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Earth, 20 Apr 2011.

Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Since you know this, and as I've said, Pep and I are the ONLY two under such continued scrutiny, AND deimos stated purpose is allegedly anti-viral, perhaps you can shed light on the rationale behind this 'selective' action?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Old Familiar Face

Old Familiar Face Patriarch of the CCC

Point of clarification:

That would be no assurance?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

What is your observation of that perceived credibility and integrity by the members concerning this board at this juncture?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

You are obviously on Deimos' radar.

Let's please return to the discussion of alt policy everyone.

5. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

If that is how you feel.
    I think there are a few Inhabitants that are wanting to implicate the administration in the actions of a few Inhabitants.

6. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

people may be alting because a stalker is following them and they can't use their regular handle. Then it would be a bad idea to out them.

I don't think there is any way to completely and safely out alts without the admission of the poster.

7. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

What's wrong with the Larry account anyway? Why did you ban the account?

I'm serious and I'm not trying to derail anything. Consider the question rhetorical. I can't figure out why that account would put anyone off or cause any issues. It looked like a clever little addition to the forum. On more than one forum I've been on there's been requests for 100% anonymous posting in a special forum. Having a proxy/bot as an agent to make those posts is a nice idea.

8. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

To what end?
    You are unable to determine if there are alt or multi-user accounts.
    How do you propose to identify them?
    Will it be by instinct or by acclamation?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

It would seem more worrisome that their only alternative to being stalked in this forum is to create an alt. One would certainly hope that STALKING would put the offending member on deimos "radar", no?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

From my experience on several forums (read: way too many), allowing any account sharing or 'sock puppet' (alt accounts) of any kind is the first stepping stone to complete forum meltdown. No integrity = No long standing non trolling members.

Mods do as you wish. You can either stick around... or be a statistic.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Thanks. It would be great to attract some SL Merchants to advertise here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

If I may lend a slight addition: there are a few inhabitants that are wanting assurance that the administration is not linked to the actions of a few inhabitants.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

That is not an answer to the question.
    That is a defensive response made by someone who is insecure in their position.
    The members asking for clarification are not 'wanting to implicate" the administration. They are asking the administration to demonstrate that they are not complicit.
    Two different things, isn't it?
    The question concerned your observations on the members perceptions. Not on their desires.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Old Familiar Face

Old Familiar Face Patriarch of the CCC

As such I am moved to ask that these forums NOT allow any member more than one active account at any given time, as we all human and even Mods make mistakes. While I will not be as brass to say that any one Mod would willfully out a poster and his/her alt, I would not be surprised if it did happen. Therefor I find that the security of the Alt to remain as a true alternative account is a false presumption. I however am willing to bend to the majority decision of the community, but if determined that Alts be allowed that this forum have a conversation regarding the use of sockpuppets and that it be led by Mars.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Conversely, people may be alting to stalk someone. In that case it would be a good idea to out them, perhaps?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

There is already a Larry thread if you would like to discuss Larry. If you want to discuss proxy/bot usage to anonymize posts, then frame it as such.
    I did not claim they could not be detected. I said I couldnt detect them and that I didnt know what Mars capability was and that I would ask.
    This is not a discussion on how to detect alt. This is a discussion on what our policy is on alts. Do we want them or not?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

This^^^^
    I am against alts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

I did, and you didn't read my post. Try it again for us?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

Since you asked in a simple concise manner here. I will answer in a simple concise manner.

NO.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

No alts.
    meh
    Whats the point?

• Like Like x 3
Topic Status:
Read-only.