Alt Accounts

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Earth, 20 Apr 2011.

Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Well, mods don't have to get in the middle of private domestic issues. All a stalker has to do is google their target's usual handle and follow the links and sign up. That's why some may see the need to alt to get a little peace.

2. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

I think the administration will not be drawn into the drama du jour. Mars made very clear how he felt about alts and it has been posted in OP. This thread was initiated by Mars. The person that wants your feedback is Mars. The person wanting to address alts in the Community Standards is Mars. So can we leave the conspiracy theories to the other threads and discuss alt policy please.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

That is not an alt. For purposes of this discussion an alt is a secondary gV account.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

A purely hypothetical observation.

For purposes of this discussion, and cognizant of all the various permutations of the possible uses of an alt account, doesn't a member logging on in the guise of a module fall within at least one of the various definitions of an alt account? And, if one concedes that this is the case, would not said module/alt account then come under the same constraints of governance as any other alt account?

5. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

When the stalking starts the infractions start - no matter what handle they are hiding behind.

6. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

Well I said my piece. Twice. My participation in this discussion is no longer necessary. Cheers.

7. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

I would say that they currently do.
    If alts were forbidden though- I wouldnt expect the planets to vanish.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Old Familiar Face

Old Familiar Face Patriarch of the CCC

You seem to misunderstand me at every step. I am saying that if we do allow for alts in this forum, a suggestion that I am opposed to, that we as a community have a very serious talk about the safety and security of this site, with someone who has the power and privileges necessary for such discussion. This is not a slight on you as a Mod, but you yourself have explained that you have no authority when it comes to site security.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

True enough. If management is looking out for alts... which it will only be doing if there's a reason to... such as considering the possibility of alts being used to stalk.

• Like Like x 2
  10. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

I don't understand what your point is about this. Everyone is talking about alt policy REPEATEDLY and all you do is say they're off topic or derailing the thread. You're unfairly steering the conversation by accusing everyone of derailing your thread when you don't agree with what they have to say. Why can't you just let the conversation percolate and see what useful information bubbles out of it?

There's valid info here. From the anonymity the Larry account provided to the stalking/alt necessity that someone else pointed out. These are a couple of examples that people used to point out situations where alts might not be such a bad idea and just may persuade people to change their mind. Truth be told I don't like alt accounts, but when someone mentioned the idea of having them to avoid stalkers I thought about it a little more.

I'm not being difficult or obtuse--I'm asking you to sit back and listen to peoples opinions even if they aren't the simple YES or NO that you were hoping for.

Edit: Also--you were the one that started the thread..not Mars. Is Mars your alt? :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Then, as a follow-up to that premise you've just accepted, I would suggest that I am then currently being 'stalked' by the deimos/alt account.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

I agree in principle but I don't want the thread derailed into a discussion about the dramatic elements of that event.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Then you should have just made it a poll if you weren't interested in discussion.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Nice red stripe for you I see, lol

• Like Like x 3
  15. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Last thing I'll say here, as I do not want to prolong this off topic line of discussion. But I do want to make this perfectly clear:

If Mars has indeed been very clear in your estimation, then Mars should have no issues with directly answering the question of whether she was involved with or had knowledge of Larry, or not. Unsurprisingly, some consider Mars' statement today to be a bit wishy washy.

Mars may want our feedback, but hopefully Mars realises that there is give and take, and we would like a definitive and concise statement. I don't think it's too much to ask given Mars' anonymity. For some people here, having confidence in Mars is part and parcel to being comfortable being a member here.

Calling it "drama du jour" belittles the reasons why some people here are asking for clarification. Perhaps you do not realize this, but hopefully Mars does.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

I am interested in discussion of policy, not discussion of yesterdays drama.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Old Familiar Face

Old Familiar Face Patriarch of the CCC

Point of clarification:

Was this discussion scheduled prior to the event that you choose to not discuss?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

Umm... can you explain why that post was 'dinged'? It goes to the topic of alt accounts and stalking. And to the very valid concern already stated by some members about 'mods' and their behaviors. That is not only a part of this thread, but a direct reflection of this node, no?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

THIS!! Precisely!!

20. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

Mars and Earth seem to be confused as to which of them started the thread and requested feedback etc.

Is Earth one of Mars alts?

• Like Like x 2
Topic Status:
Read-only.