Asus T100TA Transformerbook (a LiB thread)

Discussion in 'tech' started by Lain, 18 Jul 2015.

1. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

omg, forgot to add the link above, forum problem in the meantime, serious ones

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/179144/how-to-burn-debian-iso-to-usb

you may need to investigate further, but those dd commands look correct

you MUST "dd" it. cannot do in windows at all. i used one similar to unetbootin (forget which, had a flower icon) and it always works in bios but not uefi and did NOT work. i HAD to dd

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

My research at the moment is suggesting changing tools might be what you need. Windows changed what it likes in bootloaders and dual boot media with Windows 8. I was unaware of this as well, as I have barely touched Windows 8, and have most experience with 7 and earlier. This is good learning experience for me too. I will report my findings once I dig out relevant info.

What I have gathered right now is Mulch is correct, this is a UEFI thing. That stick will work in a Windows 7 or earlier system, but not in 8 or later, as that is when they changed a bunch of shit. I will see what I can find. Looks like I keep getting hits on a specific program called Rufus that I guess makes bootable media that 8 and 10 like. I will see what else I can find out.

3. Mulch

Psychedelic

seriosuly, almost an hour i been trying to post that you MUST dd the usb from linux for it to work. but it WILL

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mulch

Psychedelic

fuck bitrot (i bet that is what these forums are suffering from. abandoned dependencies somewhere in the chain)

i been trying to post this forever

it will ONLY work with dd. you MUST dd

5. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Ok. Going to create the USB with my Ubuntu netbook. After I get it back. My nephew is watching Poltergeist on it. ;P

6. Lain

Sneaky

In the meantime, hot tea with some weed butter in it sounds like an amazing idea. Back in a short.

/me trots off to heat some water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  7. Mulch

Psychedelic

just dd it in the command line and it will work (if you did everything right in the UEFI, lmafao)

microsoft sure makes it easy to use an alternate OS

the good news is that once you do it, it will be done. leave the UEFI alone and dd new live distros and everything should play very nicely together.

seriously went through literally, DAYS of trying to get the usb to work when i completely redid my server. i had a dvd player and burned media, but it was legacy IDE which would *maybe* load 1 out of 20 times.

i could NOT use that dvd to boot from, had to disable IDE support in UEFI, and dd the damn stick. AND make sure the UEFI settings were correct. it WILL work, they just dont make if fucking easy at all

(i even tried and failed because i am a n00b, to use PXE from my windows machine to get it to work)

once you get it work once, you are pretty much golden and subsequently it will be a breeze. up until that point... clumps of hair

8. Mulch

Psychedelic

if its the original, the SCARIEST movie i ever saw in my entire life, no doubt about it (if she is under like 13, prepare to hold her all night to keep her asleep, that shit scared me until i was 30!)

AND it was rated pg and a speilberg movie at that!

everything about it was terrifying. the tree, the zombies, the doll, the little girl, everything

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lain

Sneaky

He is watching the new remake. Although he is a huge fan of the original. He enjoys older horror movies like we do.

Speaking of which, next month is 31 days of scary movies! I just grabbed a few Hitchcock movies.... The man who knew too much and something else I can't recall right now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mulch

Psychedelic

nephew = he

sorry

im stoned, ok!

(in that case, be ready to hold him until at least 23)

11. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Here we go. Check everything in this thread. Everything with Windows 8 crosses over to 10 as well. It will blow past versions of Ubuntu and Linux it doesn't like too, and even blow past Grub. What a fucking Diva Windows has turned into with the introduction of UEFI. Christ.

askubuntu.com/questions/257479/ubuntu-wont-boot-from-a-usb-on-my-windows-8-laptop

Follow this guide, and check everything. You will need to make a new bootable device following all the new fun UEFI rules if you want it to work in Windows 8 and later systems.

help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Some people apparently have had success using the Boot Repair in GRUB as an easy fix that didn't involve redoing the whole stick to the new standards

This is actually all flooding back now. I have chased down this problem before, not sure when or where. Sometime in the last couple of years, but I had forgotten all about it. Blacked out the stupidity of it all, most likely. This will become a new headache in my field of choice. Uggghhh... I wish I had remembered all this so I could give a stern talking-to to the developer with Microsoft. What a crock of shit this is...

P.S. I am having major forum problems too. Can't get posts to go through, starting with that edit a couple pages ago where I mentioned it.

• Noob Noob x 1
  12. Lain

Sneaky

Well fucking fun stuff. Basically we have to go back to doing it the old way, before bootloaders played nice and autoscanned the media.

Isn't progress grand. But Microsoft is in no way trying to cheat to keep it's marketshare. (Big fat winkie face!)

13. Mulch

Psychedelic

yeah,l if she wants to chase logs, that is about when shit starting to go screwy with me too, which is why i linked this thread. right about when i read your post i got infected, too

you zombie forumed me, n00b!

14. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Try the boot fix tool in GRUB before trashing the stick. People reported it as working with Windows 8.

15. Lain

Sneaky

So I should disable that "Trusted Technology" something or other in the BIOS as well? fTPM I think it said.

Intel Platform Trust Technology

16. Mulch

Psychedelic

i know FOR A FACT microsoft isnt as concerned with sales on windows OS these days as other things for income (hence the free windows 10 to everyone who could fucking ask. you get it 100% free forever right now if you stay in developer edition and "test" it for them indefinitely), which is why it seems almost accidental that UEFI changed things so radically. its *almost* like drm, but its not drm because there are valid workarounds.

i think we just are so used to bios that the new way takes a bit of getting used to. microsoft is like "if you want to use a *nix OS, then use *nix utilities to make it happen; dont use our shit"

but i know that OS *SALES* isnt a priority atm with them

in other words, i dont think this was a shot across the bow of linux, at all, but it made everything more complicated as a result of whatever decision cause this new process

Last edited: 21 Sep 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Yes, that one too. It is part of the UEFI. Try turning all that shit off.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lain

Sneaky

Ok even with all of that off none of my standard sticks seem to boot. So I'll make a new one using the CLI once I can get control of my netbook and go from there.

19. Mulch

Psychedelic

it may take a few false starts to toggle thru UEFI. if you have IDE disabled, proper boot media selected, have dd'ed your media, if should come down to obscure new toggles in UEFI to get it to work. once you do, leave it the fuck alone, back it up, or both

20. Mulch

Psychedelic

it's dd

trust me

i done did this

save DAYS with this "protip"