Asus T100TA Transformerbook (a LiB thread)

Discussion in 'tech' started by Lain, 18 Jul 2015.

1. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

So, I haven't done much with my Asus as of late. I'm regretting the purchase as I don't feel I use the machine enough to warrant it's acquisition, and wish I had instead sought out the Android version of the same hardware (and am currently considering purchasing the newest iteration of said machine)

It makes a good video box, and manages my iTunes for the iPhone I recently acquired, and that's about it.

Will have to see what Christmas brings.

2. Lain

Sneaky

In an effort to breathe life into a device that spends the majority of it's life sitting in my main pack-along bag, I have hopped onto Steam and purchased Left4Dead, Star Wars Force Unleashed Ultimate, and Gestureworks Gameplay (lets me create screen overlay controls for games that don't have them).

Left4Dead looks like an awesome title. Should prove to be fun in the dark with the headphones on. Star Wars has a huge footprint at over 20gb and I need to get a bigger SDCard before I can pull that one down.

Will report back on gameplay after I have a chance to give it a whirl.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

grab brutal legend for $1.50 on sale as well

worthy worthy investment

(force unleashed has an epic opening. go big your first time through.)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lain

Sneaky

Done.

That game looks great.

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

It looks awesome! I even want to play it, thanks for the heads up!

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

play brutal legend with a controller (xbox) for best results. you will be fine playing keyboard and mouse, but xbox controller is better for brutal legend

• Like Like x 1
  7. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

the most important peripheral needed for brutal legend: fucking headphones :rock:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lain

Sneaky

Installed AMIDuOS, an Android emulator that costs $15 for the top version and has a 30 day trial.

So far into a week of trial use it's really very usable, performing most tasks without lag. It even runs my FL Studio Mobile, Cross DJ, and Sketchbook Pro apps without any significant lag.

Resource intensive for sure, it does lock up on me occasionally. So far it runs the gamut of my casual game list, I haven't tried anything intense like NFS, but it does run Chinatown Wars. ;)

Stomps the battery. But I'm leaning towards the, totally worth $15 side of the fence.

YMMV

9. Lain

Sneaky

I have been very busy with too many projects but wanted to stop in here and log what's current with this project, because I don't want to neglect my gotvirtual fans. ;)

AMIDuOS is an excellent Android emulator. I cannot log too many complaints about it's performance, no this moderately specced Tablet it ran just a out everything that would run. A short list would include

• Clash of Clans
    • Hitman: Sniper
    • Fruity Loops Studio Mobile
    • Cross DJ
    • Tiny Vegas
    • Chrome
    • Firefox
    • Sketchbook Pro

Too many more to list but it's quite robust for an emulator. I have not done any development with it, or tried to access it via ADB as I moved onto settting up a multi-boot environment so I can use Windows/Ubuntu and Android on the bare metal.

How well does this work? Well the Asus has shit driver support in Linux so I can boot all three OSes with the some issues. Mainly *nix based setups are failing to properly support Bluetooth (some report this works, I haven't been able to brute force it into submission yet), things like autorotation are wonky in Ubuntu, as well as issues with sleep and hibernation. The camera doesn't work and neither does the microphone, so no skyping in *nix.

Windows is for iTunes, Ubuntu is workable for quick stuff, and the Android system so far has failed to perform as well as the emulator. Sure it's faster, but there are more compatibility issues with the apps. I'm using an x86 4.4.4 image because someone was kind enough to provide a working kernel for the Asus but have been unsuccessful in getting it to run anything higher than 4.4.4

So for now this machine is still a toy that has some minor uses but mostly is for experimentation and goofing around. Not really what I had in mind when I picked it up.

Good Times