Brand New Computer Lists for $25 ?????

Discussion in 'tech' started by Ajax Manatiso, 29 Jun 2012.

1. Ajax Manatiso

Ajax Manatiso Everybody lambada!
    Dancing

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

good luck

i have been on a waiting list for like 5 months since its release

and check out the $35 version. it is more pimp

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mulch

Psychedelic

we finally just got ours today

we are using the Raspbian “wheezy” debian linux release

kita has REALLY gotten charged about this, and is learning circuit boards in hopes to turn the pi into a robot of some sort

it is very small. the body could easily fit into a pack of king cigarettes

first boot successful. i think i am going to have to order myself one (since she took mine), although since the OS is on an SD card, we can both tinker on our own system using separate cards... just not at the same time

• Like Like x 6
  4. Ajax Manatiso

Dancing

Very cool -- let us know how it goes. The site I tried to order from said "not in stock" -- will try to place an order now.

5. Aimee Weber

Aimee Weber Queen of the Metaverse

I've been thinking of getting one of those to tinker with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Saffs

Saffs Accredited batshit buster
    Probing

I got one last week for my nephew's 12th birthday off ebay. You have to pay over the odds but at these prices it hardly matters. The idea is that kids learn how to program with it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Once I get some money, I am going to order some breadboards and components. Been watching some online classes and reading a lot, really excited about getting hands on!

Next step is independent tinkering with the Pi and breadboard projects, seeing what each can do, and getting my gears going. I have some small starter projects in mind I will do before I begin to attempt to combine the two. There is already a TON of resources for Pi out there, so I know when I am ready I can find all the info I need to get going :)

I also hope they drop the Arduino prices as Pi becomes more widely available so I can tinker with those before risking my Pi!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mulch

Psychedelic

kita told me this AFTER we figured it out. trust us on this. especially if giving as a gift. this is "batteries not included"

the usb has VERY inadequate power. if giving this as a standalone unit, like, designed to have a laser mouse or keyboard attached, you MUST HAVE a powered usb hub or it wont work. it should be fine if you just ssh or vnc in (like I would), but if you plan to make this a new "tower" or "laptop" real cheap, a powered USB hub is pretty much essential if you plan to use a mouse/keyboard

again, SSH should be fine

just a first report

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mulch

Psychedelic

i registered for this product with another vendor like 9 months ago. they NEVER contacted me. we ordered it through the link you posted, element14, as it was the only site that had it available for order. we got it from your link, element14.

try them again, kita told me that we could have ordered more than 1. we didnt ONLY because summer is a slow work season and we are forced to take separate vacations this year (dont worry, it works out well for us both), so we are saving more than spending and we figured because of the SD card, we could SHARE 1 instead of ordering 2 since we had extra SD cards hanging around

but try them again. i was prevented from ordering from every other vendor i tried to order from or preregistered for... yhour link delivered

so thank you, and try again... THEY GOT THE GOODS!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

I want one or two of these but have no time to devote to playing with them, which is what will happen if I order a pair. Maybe for Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mulch

Psychedelic

12. Ajax Manatiso

Dancing

went to the site and ordered but it said only 6 left so if you want one, order it fast! Also the price is now $35

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

• Like Like x 1
  14. Saffs

Probing

I only had time to see my nephew switch his on for the first time and we were a bit puzzled that the desktop on the TV screen was not in colour. Anyone know why please?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ajax Manatiso

Dancing

Watch the video Mulch posted. There is a gui mode.It boots without a gui to conserve memory and power.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Saffs

Probing

ah right, will pass that on, though he has probably worked it out himself by now. Thanks.

17. Ajax Manatiso

Dancing

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lain

Sneaky

I have one of these USB kbs for all sorts of reasons. Very cool device to have in your kit.
    6378532-620-465.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Ajax Manatiso

Dancing

Where did you get it?

20. Lain

Sneaky

• Like Like x 2