Brand New Computer Lists for $25 ?????

Discussion in 'tech' started by Ajax Manatiso, 29 Jun 2012.

1. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

I've been kicking around doing a LFS build for an Android I've been torturing recently.

I wonder if FreeBSD might be worth a look.

2. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

You will probably want to poke around the Pi places, as they are the only places I am aware of that have BSD for arm7 CPUs. Either that or chrochet to roll your own image (but this requires a working install of freebsd to use. It may work in a VM, but I haven't personally tested this yet)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lain

Sneaky

That should be easy enough to piece together a BSD laptop I can use as a build machine.

I've rooted the device and installed CWM so I can get a solid nandroid backup of the default firmware and have been gutting out unwanted packages to see how far I can strip it without breaking the functionality.

I've built a few image files that can be chrooted which gives me a Linux 'layer'. Some of Kali's tools don't care for the environment and this particular device doesn't run Kalihunter, a Nexus only project right now.

Yet another reason to buy a Nexus or two. But the idea of a throwaway handset I can use as a portable arsenal for under $100 a shot is too enticing.

I've bought several handsets for less than $50 that are really nice. Loss leader for the cell company equals excellent source of pocket computing power on the cheap.

4. Mulch

Psychedelic

You do know Kali has a native build for the raspberry pi, right?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lain

Sneaky

I did notice that.

That's a neat project but I haven't seen anyone implement it in a way that's portable and stealthy.

An Android throwaway handset looks like every other handset. So that inconspicuous lady in the corner at the coffee shop who looks like she's texting someone is downloading the contents of all your shit. ;)

Plus you can buy them anywhere, even gas stations and 7-11s have Android phones for sale on the cheap.

Less tracable, more portable, easily found in a common hardware configuration. So theoretically a single build with tweaks should port from device to device.

I'm not sure if the Kalihunter source is available or not, but after much reading I'm wondering if a personalized Linux build wouldn't be the best solution for the droids for all the same reasons we do it on the laptop.

6. Lain

Sneaky

I did find this on Lifehacker.
    1515197114728550314.jpg

While it has gadget factor it's not exactly stealthy.

7. Mulch

Psychedelic

sadly, there are very few "useful" ports in freebsd that are compatible with the arm architecture. same goes for many dependencies. i am finding it less than useful, and i am sad as i do enjoy tinkering with freebsd

there is a solution for linix for this problem, maybe a solution can be created for bsd

i had to use this solution last year, when i was working on putting the new server together, i still needed a functioning teamspeak, which was pretty popular last year, while i tweaked and reset the server for a couple weeks trying to get the bugs of the OS, xserver, steam client, and various web servers to all play well in the environment on the hardware i cobbled together

teamspeak needs x86 architecture, it will not run on arm7

i did however, find a solution. it is NOT open source, it is NOT free, and it is somewhat restrictive in its use, but it works. it works very well

it is an x86 emulator for arm cpus, focused (but not exclusively) on the raspberry pi. it is called exagear desktop

it may be a year late, but man do i have to give the actual functionality mad props. i installed snappy ubuntu on the pi2, then i installed exagear. then i installed teamspeak. then i got ready to twist and turn and troubleshoot until i got it to work. but i was confused. the error messages i was expected were missing. huh? it was working, right out of the box, with less pains to configure than on the actual server. i was easily able to import the teamspeak settings and keys and it was quickly deployed as the main server

i watched it for a couple days before i actually nuked the original server, just in case. to my surprise, it was rock fucking solid. not only that, but i was monitoring top, and with 20 some people on teamspeak, my load barely hit 0.1 (on a 1ghz quad core arm device with 1 gig of ram)

so not only does it work, not only is it silly easy to get working, but it is ridiculously lightweight in use

i should have reviewed this while it was deployed so you could see the server performance yourself. well, the freebsd debacle made the issue of compatibility come up again, so i figured i might as well belatedly give props where due. this WORKS and works well turning a $35 computer into a fully functioning linux machine

they even claim, although i have not tested this, to be able to use wine to run full x86 windows programs via the x86 emulation. wine and i never really got along (admitted, the last time i tried it was WAY back in the early stages of development and it was rather unpleasant and ineffective), but if it works, the price tag for the software is pretty fair considering how much utility it can extract from a raspberry pi, turning a hobbyist "toy" into a fully fledged, budget friendly, utility workhorse

8. Mulch

Psychedelic

people have embedded raspberry pis into a huge variety of creative enclosures. 2 builds for emulators have gone so far as putting them in a gutted gameboy and a gutted xbox controller, with the controller functionality intact

i suspect, if stealth is your thing, you could figure out what to embed this into to mask what you are doing. just loook up raspberry pi projects for tons of other ideas people have had, and maybe adapt and expand on this

if you dont really need muscle, try to get your hands on a raspberry pi zero (easier said than done), a very tiny, somewhat limited, raspberry pi board that retails for $5

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lain

Sneaky

I like that.

10. Lain

Sneaky

My primary tools are CLI based.

I've been experimenting with a rooted zte I have installed a chrooted version of Kali on.

What's interesting is I can use it as a router/repeater so, for example, I 'forget' my phone, and then SSH into it from afar. With full access.to their trusted network.

Or drop it in a drawer and leave it overnight cracking keys, etc.

It's a work in progress but it's proven very useful for the purpose mentioned above. Ofc this will only work if they have wireless. This is becoming more of a non-factor all the time.

I like that little guy. I can already see it embedded I'm a variety of innocuous objects. ;)

11. Mulch

Psychedelic

hmmm

i wonder if i can use exagear to install steam on a raspberry pi and maybe even play some of the linux compatible games on it.

fun project!

and if that works, maybe i should set up a date with wine and see if i cant get a gog game running on it!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lain

Sneaky

I love projects. It's a nice distraction from the bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mulch

Psychedelic

the hardest part will be getting a hold of 1. they are more in demand than the original pi was. i have heard the way to get them sooner is to buy a "kit" for $20 or $30 with a case and power supply and sd card or adapters or something. obviously, those will be useless to you, but if you are in a hurry and dont mind being extorted to buying extra peripherals from 3rd party resellers, that is one way to go (i am just going to buy a pi3, myself. upped specs and internal wifi increase its utility for me as size isnt really a consideration)

that sucks though, considering when it launched, IT WAS GIVEN AWAY FREE IN A MAGAZINE

[​IMG]

as an aside, i bought 1 of these for work this year to help network some gear, and i love it.

View: http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Wireless-Pocket-Ethernet-MWR102/dp/B005WKIKA0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

it is tiny, adorable, functional (as either a full fledged dhcp router with 1 lan and 1 wan port or a wireless access point), can be powered via usb, and is a steal at less than $20

[​IMG]

i dont if this would be useful for you, but it is really nice to have around and the price is pretty silly good for the utility wrapped in a small package

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lain

Sneaky

Zyxel makes great little routers. You will enjoy that box.

Eta: I own several TP-Link nano routers. Their versatility is underrated. And I will leave it at that. :p

15. Mulch

Psychedelic

do you hack your routers firmware and use dd-wrt or anything?

fios just sent me a new gigabit router/modem and it has crossed my mind to see if its possible to replace their firmware on it. i havent even opened the box yet, as i am curious, but i cant really afford much downtime as i do run servers, and even setting up the ports takes a ridiculously long time

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lain

Sneaky

I have never had an issue replacing firmware with ddWrt or its counterpart OpenWRT and I have done some router hacking.

Mostly replacing stock firmware with ddWRT to gain access to their system. There's a few ways this can be done depending on the router but it helps when they have misconfigured the remote access features. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mulch

Psychedelic

which do you prefer?

any reason for preference?

18. Lain

Sneaky

I prefer OpenWRT because it's hardware compatibility is excellent.

Being open source the code is available and it has package management. Community support and plugins are aplenty.

Some people say it's tricky to setup but I have not had and issues finding an abundance of help and documentation. Usually someone has already put it into whatever device you want it and its no problem finding ready made images.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mulch

Psychedelic

bah. i think 14.04 snappy still allowed the use of apt-get, 15.04 does NOT

and it doesn't even have htop available

fuck that, going with ubuntu mate and will try that

if not, raspbian. i am pretty much native debian, so i may end up doing that

i see why the hatred for snappy now

20. Lain

Sneaky

Lol.

Htop should be easy enough to compile. It's a must have utility for sure. I even have it on my zte. :p

• Agree Agree x 1