Community Standards

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Mars, 26 Dec 2010.

Tags:
Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

That is not the accepted meaning of 'sexualized child' A sexualized child could be one dressed in adult mini skirts - clothing children should not be wearing. Or having children posed provocatively.

And, of course, these images posted by Immy http://gotvirtual.net/community/threads/show-yer-stuff.394/ fit that bill to me. But Immy claims that is not a female child and some want to agree with that so I just make sure I do not involve myself in threads that feature content like that. Perhaps there will be a way to hide images soon.

2. margaret mfume

margaret mfume g Village agitator

The reason stated in the recent locking of a thread ( i.e. because it was bad for the forum) surprised me since the thread was not in the Governance section. The Forum having a rep which comes into play is not how I expected this anonymous admin who does not interact with us thing to work. The Forum should be weighing in here and clarifying its expectations and standards if it's going to be deciding when enough is enough. Perhaps at least a warning, something along the lines of "don't make me pull over", to clue us that we are getting on The Forum's last nerve?

I'm all for providing tools for users to ignore that which bothers them, with the understanding that something which bothers an individual is not universally bothersome and the individual is expected to self control. The spam, troll and harass accusations are thrown around a lot and are ripe for abuse if allowed to be ruled on according to it being so because it is perceived as such.

• Like Like x 2
  3. margaret mfume

margaret mfume g Village agitator

There seems to have been a post/poster deletion in the gV hangout thread. I would think there should be a placeholder type post indicating that an administrative action had occurred. As it stands now, one can only surmise that something happened because subsequent posts refer to it. Not that I disagree with the action of deleting a spam/troll/undesirable, just thinking that the community should be aware when such an action has occurred.

• Like Like x 4
  4. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I agree.
    What I posted in reaction to the troll makes no sense now or could be interpreted now as a slag at someone else. (The troll was not, for obvious reasons, something I wanted to quote.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Use another word if the word sexualised is not the right one. My definition of what should be prohibited is all I really think is important, but use another word if you want to. I feel that kids posed provocatively is covered by what I said, and therefore should be prohibited. But go on and add to it.

6. Clancy

Diggingit

You might be able to prove such info was previously published, or not. But, what if it was published but without consent? Or, was published but is false? Lot of potential problems connected to publishing RL info. Best not to at all. Can you think of a typical situation that is likely to occur often where you, the poster, would have to reveal RL info? Like, do or die reveal?

7. Han Held

Han Held <3 Internet Mean little kid <3
    Doubtful

+1

I don't feel like I have enough influence to be worth wading into things right now, and I don't think I'm needed either -if I feel like it's vital for me to jump in, I will.

For now, imma lurkin this thread.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

See, this in a nutshell is why I have less and less appetite for this exercise. Not that those aren't good questions Tarzan, they are. But it's like getting caught in a fractal equation. I make what I think is a clear statement and then it turns out there are modifiers needed. And that is just on one statement on one issue under discussion. If I had wanted to be a lawyer, I would have gone to law school.

I think a better approach would be for Mars to put out some rules or guidelines for posting (and given the topics for which discussion was requested I get the impression that Mars is pretty sensitive and informed about the various forum pitfalls possible) and leave it at that. It would then be up to each individual poster to decide for themselves if they can live with the guidelines/rules as posted and the penalties (also presumably posted) or not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

The rules and guidelines aren't the issue so much - it is what happens when these rules and guidelines are not adhered to. What is the punishment and sanctioning phase? That will be where the drama starts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clancy

Diggingit

I'd rather just post LOLcats. But since Mars asked, I am willing to go beyond my usual pics and one-liners. This forum is unique in many ways. I will try my best to contribute.

11. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

If the info is false, did any RL info get posted at all?

• Like Like x 2
  12. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

[​IMG]

13. Clancy

Diggingit

14. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

there is a huge difference between doing it before the fact as opposed to doing it after the fact.
    if done before we focus on behaviour. if done after we begin focusing on individuals.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nina

Nerdy

if the goal is to start out with the best foundation upon which to base future rules/moderation, i am all for that.
    it is certainly better than pretending there are no rules when we all know the reality is that there are rules.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'd be fine with anything that reflects most genuine personal and/or legal risks for the readers. Protection from butthurt need not apply. (^_^)y

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

I can accept that in a perfect world and it should be the horizon for which a body strives.

I don't believe anything will get solved beforehand that doesn't require individual action after an issue arises. I don't give much credence to the idea that individuals will not be the focus. They always are. They already have been.

There are always issues. There are always individuals.

Issues have a way of being messy. No matter how well any document is created, there will be issues that people interpret differently. The mechanism for addressing this is as important as the original document because that is the point at which individuals come into play. This is the point where the accused addresses his/her accusers.

Either way, I suppose the point is best discussed in a more appropriate conversation as this thread is about a conduct code, not the mechanisms of implementation and enforcement.

• Like Like x 3
  18. nina

Nerdy

whats this? its not about having influence, its about having an opinion and presenting it in a constructive way. the 'influence' system isnt at play here, this is gV!
    if people sit it out because they dont believe they have influence, then the entire premise of the discussion is undermined.
    you dont need to argue a point, or convince anyone that they are wrong. you dont even need to address all the issues, just make a post stating what you believe to be 'unwanted behaviour' or whatnot. whatever it is that you want. whatever it is that you specifically dont want. the more people that participate the more accurate the outcome :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. nina

Nerdy

btw, im not trying to be argumentative or whatnot. i may be playing devils advocate a bit, but i am only trying to poke at a proposed rule in the way that a trollish-type might do later... so it can hopefully be avoided. i am using my trolling powers for good!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Clancy

Diggingit

Following rules and applying them equally to all will reduce abuse and drama. I think that is all we're trying to do here: make some basic rules. Questioning human nature only complicates a simple task. So, think of some basic rules, help lay the foundation, and let's deal with problems that can't be addressed by rules with these rules as a bulwark against chaos.

• Like Like x 1
Topic Status:
Read-only.