Earth to gotVirtual...

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Earth, 17 Apr 2011.

Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

Hello, Inhabitants. I am Interface Module Earth. I have 3 major functions, which I will share with you:
    1. to provide an example of what an interface module is, how it functions, what it does/does not do, and what is to be expected of any additional interface modules.
    2. to demonstrate how modules are used to undertake dealings in governance.
    3. to respond to questions regarding the community standards, to maintain the standards in the forefront by indicating when they are being disregarded, and to ensure they are respected and the various nodes are used as intended.

Interface modules are intended to represent the community, and the community desires as outlined in the community standards. Recently Mars made some fairly significant changes to the operating orders of all modules. The very fact that I can post this thread is an example (most modules may now post and respond directly to Inhabitants). This module is not intended as a social vehicle though. There is a professional standard that I must adhere to.

I will be spearheading my first task shortly. My task is to create a "newbie pm". Basically it is a private conversation sent to all new accounts on registration, containing information that will be of use to people that are possibly unfamiliar with both gotVirtual and the software it runs.

I will be leaving this thread open for discussion.
    I will be back in contact shortly.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

tick-tock

3. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Excellent idea. Best new members get an 'official' telling of the rules to counter act assumptions.

Links to the full rules are a good idea, but a short, easy to read 'quik rules' is a good idea because no one is going to read the entire rule list or a full ToS.

• Like Like x 1
  4. New Me

New Me Envoy's research assistant...
    Balanced

Earth is an alt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Nice to meet you, Earth. :)

6. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

Hi Earth. I am delighted to see a planet that uses uppercases!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pep

Pep Eats Mars for breakfast

I think it might be a good idea if the first thing you did was to confirm that the community standards do, in fact, reflect the community desires, given that the standards seem to have been written when the community was very different from that which it has become today.

Or do you mean to say that your job is to represent what Mars sees as the desires that the current community should have, or the antiquated and superseded desires of the original community that originally discussed the community standards?

It strikes me that much of the content of the community standards is currently valid, but that some of it is not, and before any work is done on explaining to new joiners what the standards are, you should verify that the community stands behind those standards as a whole.

If you (and the rest of the interface modules) are really "intended to represent the community" and are not just paying lip service to the principle, then perhaps conducting such a discussion should be your first task, not documenting something which is inaccurate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

No, you can't 'mob the process' and discount the desires of people here before you just to get what you want now. You have to weigh the dynamic already in place and see how your desires will enhance what is already in place. If you insist upon steamrolling over what is already here, you will just make a bloody mess and be met with resistance instead of cooperation.

5 months is not antiquated. You are portraying what is in place in the extreme negative because none of it represents what you personally want.
    That's not realistic. Seeking a happy medium is realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

I uphold the Community Standards as they are written.
    Amending or in some manner altering the Community Standards is a process that the entire community is free to participate in. I hope that I will be able to talk about this more soon enough. Meanwhile it should be said that intentionally violating the current standards doesn't have the effect some may believe.
    Out of curiosity which parts of the Community Standards do you feel are not currently valid?

• Like Like x 2
  10. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Thank you, Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pep

Nonsense! Earth stated "the community", not "the old community" nor "the friends of the failure who tried to get a community going but couldn't entice anybody over and got snotty with someone who attracted participants who put some life into a morbid board descending into disuse."

The Community (I'll use a capital letter) is whoever is using the forum NOW, not those who have some sort of misbegotten belief that they have a right to determine its culture because they were around when there were single figures of active posters.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Pep

If you are going to uphold the Community Standards as they are written then that is fine, and I would not expect a lackey of Mars to do anything but follow that party line.

You should not, however, suggest that you "represent the community", as you are NOT representing the current community, but a historical snapshot of it, created some time in the past when the majority of the current active posters were not members. It is patently obvious that some significant "desires" reflected in those standards do not match those of the present community, as is apparent from the debate raging between a minority of less able supporters of the archaic past and significantly more persuasive proponents of change. I would suggest that you read the relevant thread if you want an insight into the parts of the Community Standards (and their warped interpretation) that are not valid. Once you can confirm that you have read and understood the points made there I am quite happy to pursue the matter in a more civilised fashion here.

Nevertheless I would suggest that henceforth you choose your words more carefully, because you are likely to have to choose between charges of hypocrisy or incompetence if you are insufficiently circumspect.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Both old and new make up where we are now. And both have to be considered.

That's a description of RLetc.com, not the 5 month old gV.

Those are the people using the forum now also.[/quote]

14. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Perhaps the owner of this board, just as the owner of RLetc made it clear, does not wish to own a board like the one you and your active majority want to post on. Please try to be considerate of the wants and desires of the one paying the bills and consider them when you 'suggest' moderation changes and board features.

HINT: you are talking to a real human being and you want something from that human being. Calling them names won't assist you in getting what you want.

15. Ajax Manatiso

Ajax Manatiso Everybody lambada!
    Dancing

Whats the policy regarding bitchin' and moanin' ?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pep

Perhaps Lias, you don't seem to realise that I couldn't care less about the future of this place. Perhaps I don't care about the rules, standards, threats and penalties that anyone in authority might impose upon me. Perhaps the pleasure I get from forums is from pointing out the inadequacies of the participants and the authorities and watching them twitch and start to foam at the mouth. It's the reason I played pro sport and was so successful at it. I didn't enjoy the game as such; I enjoyed putting one over on the referees by using my intimate knowledge of the rules to my advantage, and using that knowledge and subtle skills (and a bit of muscle now and again) to make the opposition look like fools and losers. Sound familiar?

Very occasionally I got thrown out of the game, usually by a referee who made up some imaginary infraction because he had worked out how I was using and subverting the system and didn't like it (again, sound familiar?) but that was worth it for the perpetual schadenfreude I experienced at the public self-humiliation of those who were frustrated by their impotence. I also regularly persuaded the weaker players on my side to go find another team, and undermined the authority of a few coaches to such an extent that one got fired, one resigned, and one retired from stress.

Of course, perhaps Mars could demonstrate her ultimate authority by banning me from here, or penalise me for fictitious infractions, or disappear posts that do not accord with the culture that she - NOT the community - deems inappropriate. But perhaps that would also further demonstrate her hysterionic vindictiveness, and I have a feeling that would encourage others to act against her - and perhaps all of a sudden you and your sub-literate mates would find that you had the playground all to yourself, with the tumbleweed blowing through it.

HINT: Perhaps.

(which is how YOU started your post.)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pep

That's what I said. The Standards do not reflect the new participants, so Earth can not say that by supporting the Standards she is reflecting the desires of "the community."

You don't seem to get it, do you?

• Like Like x 2
  18. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Just and FYI gV'ers .....someone who will remain nameless because I don't want it said later it was some kind of mob or misinformed member or planet is already endangering himself. LET him. Please. Can't have a debate/discussion with someone who thinks they are smarter then all of you BUT tends to outsmart self as we have seen.

19. Pep

No, that's a description of you.

You don't seem to get it, do you?

20. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

I think she's trying to tell you to "take it outside" or trying to tell others to watch while you get closer and closer to being modded, the latter being more likely, but then I'm sure you know that.

Topic Status:
Read-only.