gV policy regarding voluntary account deletion.

Discussion in 'news' started by Mars, 25 Dec 2010.

Tags:
  1. Mars

Mars MCP
    vbulletin4

the Internal Security Policy does not permit MARS to act upon an inhabitants request for self-termination.
    amongst other reasons, removal of an account is not practical. there are numerous technical complications, as removing an account not only affects that account, but any other account that has had interaction with them (profile comments, likes, conversations, etc).
    this being said, it is possible for inhabitants to render their own accounts inaccessible:
    1. remove your avatar, signature, identity credentials (facebook, twitter, etc) and any other personal details
    2. if you are following anybody, stop following them.
    3. alter your profile preferences to allow only those you follow to interact with you (conversations, profile comments, etc) or to view your profile.
    4. change your e-mail address on record to a non-existent address , but do not verify.
    5. change your password to a password that you are sure to forget.
    6. logout.
    we regret that any inhabitant would resort to such action. it is our objective to create a welcoming, all-inclusive community. it is our desire that all inhabitants recognise that they have a voice and have a role in the genesis of gV. we regret that we have failed you.

vigorous debate of this policy is encouraged, but under no circumstances should the thread be derailed or used as a venue to deride one another.
    let us make this more clear: the MCP will not, under any possible circumstances, tolerate off-topic commentary or ad hominem exchanges within the threads it initiates.

we thank you in advance for your participation.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wasted Engineer

Wasted Engineer Secret Identity
    Notamused

Regarding the policy about the account deletion, I understand your point and I could accept the excuse if the "Name Change Feature" was not allowed.

If any user changes his name, it is also affecting at every any other account he has had interaction with, so, what is the difference between a name change and an account deletion?, could I change my name to "x"?

3. Cato Badger

Cato Badger Infractor

Just a note here to say that according to Lithium Technologies Inc which has a legal department dedicated to such matters if a user requests termination of their account and removal of all evidence of their participation then the administrator is obliged to comply with that request fully regardless of technical difficulties even to the extent of removing ALL users and posts unless such a potential request was specfically addressed in the public terms of service of the forum PRIOR to registration.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Lawyers have opinions. Me, too. But I don't charge by the hour for mine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cato Badger

Cato Badger Infractor

I have generally found that what you get for free is worth what you pay for it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Non sequitur.

7. Cato Badger

Cato Badger Infractor

To clarify your misunderstanding it was relevant as I was referring to the opinions you said you did not charge for unless you were like most lawyers I know and charge by the minute.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Lawyers can be paid to say anything, and for a bit more they'll even write it down for you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

account deletion would result in threads/posts/conversations/likes/etc vanishing from the board, quite unlike a name change.

if we were germans this might be a concern.
    but we are not...

• Like Like x 2
  10. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

Germans appreciate your answer Nina.......sarcasm of course.

11. ev0L

ev0L Ghost in The Shell

Courts have been known to follow a precedent set in other countries.

12. Wasted Engineer

Wasted Engineer Secret Identity
    Notamused

The account deletion request from any user means exactly that, he doesn´t want his likes/post anymore to be in this forum, for whatever reason.

The name change feature is as difficult as the removal of any account to perform, I only say that, but if the real reason is that you don´t want to lose content in this forum, I am OK with it, this forums is yours and only your, so althought it´s only my opinion you can do whatever you want with it.