gV tips & hints #1 - 'whats new' and 'recent activity'

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by Mars, 22 Nov 2010.

Tags:
  1. Mars

Mars MCP
    vbulletin4

seeing as how gV is a rather drastic departure from the familiarity of vBulletin, we will be writing up some documentation to make the transition very easy.
    this is the first tips & hints thread, more will follow.

today we will take a look at watched threads, whats new, your news feed, and recent activity.

//watched threads
    watched threads is virtually the same function as the vbulletin 'subscribe without mail' option.
    if you enable* 'watch this thread' (either globally through preferences, or individually in each thread), the thread will become listed in a special section called 'watched threads'.
    the strength of this feature is that it allows you to check the status of every thread you have posted to with a single click.
    *watch this thread is now enabled by default on new registrations

watch01.png
    enabling watched threads via preferences

watch02.png
    viewing watched threads

//whats new
    whats new is is a listing of of all threads that have had some sort of activity over the past day (or more depending upon board activity).
    the strength of this feature is that it furnishes a quick and general overview.

whatsnew01.png
    viewing 'whats new'

(continued next post)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mars

Mars MCP
    vbulletin4

//your news feed
    allows you to see in detail the activities of those you follow. these include things like status comments, posts they 'like', any alterations to their profile, such as avatar and location, in addition to the other things you would expect to find here.

yournewsfeed.png
    viewing a news feed

//recent activity
    the most 'ispy-like' of them all, recent activity functions just like 'your news feed', but it includes the activities of everyone, not just those you follow.
    although it is not auto-polling like ispy (yet), you can still fetch seconds old activities with a simple refresh.

recentactivity.png
    recent activity page

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mars

Mars MCP
    vbulletin4

take the time to investigate your control panel applet.
    in its most fundamental sense, items on the left are preferences, and items on the right are informational pages

cp.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. Morgaine Alter

Morgaine Alter ppl watching what I like

so as far as the converstations you can start with others here
    Are they private like a PM?

• Like Like x 2
  5. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

lets test and find out!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Morgaine Alter

Morgaine Alter ppl watching what I like

ok dokie just got one
    I dont know if its visible since I am logged in.
    thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Conversations are basically threads where only certain people can view them right? So I began one with Bunnie, and as long as we leave it that way we can go back and forth without intervention, or if we want we can add others into it and remove people from it.

That's sort of handy (and would have been endlessly useful in the debacle I was dealing with on my last hangout, when I had 10 people in email/PM and was talking between then because they all use a diff protocol).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Is there anything like "View New Posts?" That's all I ever do on forums, and I'm feeling lost without it here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Textured Surface

Textured Surface Fuck your title.

Do you know what kills me?

The single line comments used by 'Mars.'
    We aren't allowed to use them, by convention, in our code where I work.

All comments have to be of the form:
    /* Comment */
    Which, of course, are multiple line (spanning) comments.
    I don't know why my workplace is so anal about this, but, it's true!

So, every time I read a post from Mars, I am thinking "ooooo he is so busted"

• Like Like x 1
  10. nina

Nerdy

you are correct.
    conversations are 'private threads'

• Like Like x 1
  11. nina

Nerdy

whats new

• Like Like x 1
  12. New Me

New Me Envoy's research assistant...
    Balanced

I've always found a "My Posts" selection handy for when I want to come back and pick up where I last left off in threads. At first I didn't see anything, but in the drop-down menu by your avatar name in the upper-right of the screen, there is a "Your Content" selection. Bingo!

I don't know if it exists elsewhere in the implementation, but that was a nice find...

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

Yay for recent activity! Bams got us a program to auto-refresh, so it's pretty much like ispy, but better! You can follow all the activity going on instead of just threads. Status changes, likes, etc.

14. ev0L

ev0L Ghost in The Shell

GASP !!
    : points finger :
    HACKERS !!

15. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

Nice steamy pm's by the way. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lain

Sneaky

For those using Chrome it's this plugin here that she's speaking of... seems to work fairly well.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/hmooaemjmediafeacjplpbpenjnpcneg

cntrl-shft-r kicks it on and then there's a recycle icon on your address bar to the right, next to your star. If you click it you can set a refresh time for the page, and then it will refresh at the set interval.

Good Times.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lilyana

Lilyana srs beans

news feed = stalking?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lain

Sneaky

So, something I poked around and figured out which some may or may not find useful... if you click the Forums button on the navbar, then What's New, you'll get a list of posts that are new in the threads. IF you then click "All Recent Messages" it will sort them chronologically, by last time stamp. So you can see the newest stuff on top.

:)

19. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

What is the difference between guest and robot?

• Like Like x 1
  20. nina

Nerdy

a robot is a known spider. google, baidu, bing, etc are robots.
    guest is unknown/unlogged traffic.

• Like Like x 2