gV update - 22.may.11

Discussion in 'news' started by Earth, 21 May 2011.

1. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

a few things have happened since the last update thread last month.
    • in addition to the community standards and the inhabitant rights pages, an informational infraction page has been posted.
    • currently there are five active modules: mars, phobos, deimos, earth, and mercury. there are further module activations in the works.
    • dev/null/ has been reactivated. its purpose is to function as a repository for off-topic threads, spam, and toxic threads. inhabitants cannot start new threads within the node, but they may reply to most threads within the node. content located in dev/null/ will not appear on 'whats new' or 'recent threads'.
    • the number of reports has diminished dramatically in recent weeks, which is a good thing.
    • the earth module was relinquished back to the mcp. when the earth module again became available, i (nina) decided to take possession of it myself, and use it to interact 'officially' with my fellow inhabitants.
    needless to say, gV has undergone changes since its launch in november, but mars as a module has remained the same. back then i made a decision to place mars 'outside' the social element of community. i wanted mars to serve as nothing more than an official voice for the administration. i wanted mars to announce, solicit feedback, and to facilitate the wishes of the community while at the same time protecting my own vision of what gV would become, all in a no-drama context. in that respect, he has been marvelous. in case it isnt obvious, the entire reason for the detached administrator was that i wanted to avoid becoming a 'your mom' counterpart. the downside though... mars could not answer questions directly. mars could not warn people off of unwanted behaviour. mars was powerless to intervene in anything until after the fact, and even then it had to be taken in a roundabout fashion.

once i had been 'outed' i found myself in a very uncomfortable position. i was now being referenced directly as the administrator of gV. i suddenly had people appealing to me. some were issuing me thinly-veiled ultimatums, 'get rid of so-and-so or im leaving' (that has never worked btw). i am dismayed to find myself in a nearly identical role as cristiano, which has been the last thing i have wanted. the whole point of mars was to avoid having a social member that people felt they needed to submit to or whatnot. i want nina to be just another person here, although i think that is now nothing more than wishful thinking. i am being forced to answer questions and to moderate as nina, which violates the spirit of the celestial administration.

it is clear to me that this is not sustainable. i will be using earth not as nina, nor as mars. i will be using earth in the same manner that all the other interface units should be used. earth will be their example.

nina: just another inhabitant (best we can manage)
    mars: the mcp, doing as he has always done and will always do.
    earth: the interface unit, used for official purposes, to moderate, to interact, and to serve as an example to existing and future modules.

i will leave this thread open, but please pay heed to the following:

//////////////////////////////////////
    vigorous debate of this posting is encouraged, but under no circumstances should the thread be derailed or used as a venue to deride one another.
    let us make this more clear: we will not, under any possible circumstances, tolerate off-topic commentary or ad hominem exchanges within the threads we initiate.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

Just hoping Earth will not ban Nina for revealing RL informations.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

I'm a happy astronomer. Good job, Nina.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mitch_Wexler

Mitch_Wexler Myth or Metaphor
    Mellow

I nominate Pluto for a module... it's still there even if it's not a planet anymore...(too off topic?)

5. Kokoro Fasching

Kokoro Fasching Hydrargyrum Pixie
    Volatile

You may of course appeal to Mercury, or me directly... and you will have to live with what ever outcome the dice state. >:p

6. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

Weird.

I don't understand why folks *appeal* to Forum Management or file reports. I guess I *can* understand why they might report a post for certain infractions, like rl information and whatnot, because that is a serious infraction that could harm someone if not deleted quickly.

I don't understand when they may wish to report that someone said they were a poopyhead.

I have never done that on any site.

• Like Like x 5
  7. tout

Mondayblues

Called poopyhead is a serious offence here on GV.:(

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pisthetairos

Pisthetairos Apotheosis

I understand if it is a planet you call a poopyhead it is a bannable offence.

9. Cody

Cody a.k.a. Ecliptic Lackey
    Balanced

NEVER!

• Like Like x 1
  10. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Are you considering testing that theory?

11. tout

Mondayblues

Yes , please never call a planet poopyhead, cuz the planet could stick you on a rock like Prometheus and you will loose your liver.

• Like Like x 4