I saw a suicide and it was so sad

Discussion in 'onTopic' started by Briana, 23 Nov 2010.

1. Briana

Briana Vibrating erver closer to 4th Density
    Woot

I arrived in Chicago last week, and within 10mins of my arriving, some poor guy jumps from the 12th floor, literally just after i walk in the door and go the window to see the view of Lake Michigan, the guy jumps. :(

The sad part is that he jumped from his floor, 12th, not the 22nd, where he could open a window and jump from the hall. He laid there for a long while. A woman doctor passing by stopped and she crouched over him but refused to touch him because she was afraid of liability issues - lame.

It seems his parents died a week or so ago, and he himself has cancer, and I guess at age 50 he was thinking he would have no one to care for him as he aged and dealt with the cancer-chemo, so he jumped.

I fucking hate big cities, big time.

He did die. Not immediately, unfortunately for him. He laid there a crumpled, broken body, no blood, and he eventually let go the grip on life he had and was gone by the time they got the ambulance there and prepped him to move.

Oh well. I wish i had known him so I could have helped him to live with cancer and therapy.

2. ev0L

ev0L Ghost in The Shell

This is sad... are doctors not bound by law to do something ?

3. Sarah Nerd

Sarah Nerd Feels most comfortable around other misfits.
    Barefooter

Wow. That is horribly sad. I'm sorry you had to see that.

4. Cody

Cody a.k.a. Ecliptic Lackey
    Balanced

I think doctors have an ethical obligation to help, but not a legal one.

Doesn't Illinois have a Good Samaritan law?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

HUGS, and shame on that doctor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

7. Morgaine Alter

Morgaine Alter ppl watching what I like

so sorry you had that experience Bri :(
    I had someone die on me laying in the road after a bad car accident and I had a wilderness first responder license.
    The only good that I could take out of it at least he was not alone and I took that burden on of the horror of being his witness but, he was not alone.

8. Cody

Balanced

A lot of times there's that too. I've got a Basic card, and pretty much as soon as I got it, it occurred to me what limited use it is outside of an ambulance. Aside from CPR, I'm going to guess than 95% of the EMT-B course is learning how to use tools and equipment. So if you're driving along in your own car, or walking down the street, you don't have splints, C-collars, spine boards, an ET tube...you really can do very, very little besides yelling for someone to call 911.

9. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Me sad.

10. Trinity Serpentine

Trinity Serpentine How rainbows are made.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that. So sorry he felt he had to end it.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

My doctor has 4 kids and a wife and he spends a large chunk of his "free time" travelling around the world doing surgeries for free. He has my utmost respect and I owe my life to him.

I am sure he would of done something.

• Like Like x 1
  12. clio

clio Pokity Poke Poke
    Alone

Good sameritan laws to not apply to trained medical professionals, however at least in MN the doctor would be bound by law as well as ethics to render aid in such a situation.

(afriend is a paramedic/ambulance driver and he refuses to stop if off duty because of liability issues, even tho he could lose his license and face a large fine if it by some weird deal come out
    but either way what a sucky thing to have to witness Brianna

13. Briana

Woot

I do not agree with "Good Samaritan Laws".

If it is a mandate that you *must* assist, then there is nothing Good Samaritan about it.

It is also extremely presumptuous of the law to mandate that anyone on a scene attempt to render assistance. New York has a Good Samaritan law on the books. And I have read a case where a passerby was prosecuted for not lending assistance to a drowning person in a body of water.

Good luck getting me to help, especially if I am freaked out or nervous. I doubt I would enter into any body of water to attempt to save anyone that was not a child or dog, irregardless of so called Good Samaritan laws.

It is to me unlawful to mandate that any free individual be forced to help, assist, another person.

14. Charlemagne Allen

Charlemagne Allen The Contessa

I know it's in the Hippocratic Oath that you render assistance if you're trained as a doctor. If you're acting like an idiot and try to do GP stuff when you're a brain surgeon , you can be sued though.

15. Cody

Balanced

No no...the Good Samaratan law doesn't mandate you to help. What it does is IF you help, you're immune from liability if the victim dies or ends up injured while you're helping them, so long as you didn't do anything you weren't trained to do. Like, let's say you know CPR. CPR done right breaks ribs, so if you give someone CPR and they live, a Good Samaratan law keeps them from being able to sue you for the broken ribs. Or, keeps their family from being able to sue you if they die after you try to give them CPR.

The law would not help you if you tried to do something you never were trained for. No pen-cap tracheotomies.

16. Textured Surface

Textured Surface Fuck your title.

Shit Bri, I'm sorry you had to witness that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JohnnyVann

JohnnyVann Acthp!
    caffeine

I thought that was just part of being a doctor. I didn't know it was the law. I though Nurses had the same obligation. I think in Texas they are required to stop at car accidents to see if aid is needed. That may have changed but I remember that from 80s and 90s.

18. Cody

Balanced

Kind of an unenforceable law, yeah? I mean, how can anyone prove that any of the cars driving past their accident scene was a doctor who should've stopped?

19. Briana

Woot

Well, I am recalling a case i read in 1991 that was in New York where they attempted to prosecute someone using the Good Samaritan law. Perhaps that person was a medical professional or something. I cannot recall the facts as it was 19 years ago....wow.

20. ev0L

ev0L Ghost in The Shell

ummm... are you remembering the Seinfeld series finale ? :p