Infraction Appeal Process

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by Lias, 5 Sep 2011.

1. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

And just to make at least one on-topic comment...
    I don't see any problems with how infractions and the ability to appeal them is set up.
    The only infraction that is harder than posting a thread is one that gets you suspended/banned.
    Even then, there's a "Contact Us" link on every page, whether you can login or not.

Lias, I'm not sure what comment you're talking about in the OP (so I don't have an opinion on what happened), but I do know that you can use the contact form instead of starting a thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

There is no ability to appeal infractions - that is why I started this thread.

There seems to be some confused ideas on what actual process is in place.

Making a thread to appeal a friend's banning falls under 'Community Governance'. Community Governance has been abandoned. Therefore - the appeal process for banning (starting a thread and getting the community to debate it) is no longer in place.

So there never was any ability to appeal an infraction and the appeal for a banning no longer exists.

I believe the appeal process for an infraction should be established. My infraction was based on what the admin 'felt' my request to another poster indicated and not what it actually was. And absolutely no one else on the forum has ever even been warned for asking someone to post in the correct area. I am still waiting to have this false infraction removed from my account.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

Sure there is.
    You can send an email, for instance.
    That's kinda the default for forums anyway... if you have an issue, either PM or email the owner/admin.

You could also start a thread, but Nina already said that probably wouldn't be the best method... and in fact, emailing would be a good choice.

Which is what I was saying, for infractions (not bans), when I said "ability to appeal".
    I was referring to the ability to send an email and that I don't have any issues with that being the preferred method, since it's pretty much the standard for any forum where you receive a warning/suspension/ban.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maryanne

Maryanne Running Naked through the Forums going "Wheee!"
    Balanced

The appeals process would appear to be rather straight-forward. If you don't like something, send the email to Mars/Nina and make your case. She'll either agree or disagree and take what she deems to be the appropriate action or inaction.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Amazing, ain't it? Why others can't seem to get that, I just don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

"Send an E-mail to an anonymous account and maybe someone will respond to you if they feel like it"

is not an documented appeal process. I was told to make this thread to appeal because there is purposely no way to make direct contact with the admins. Then I'm told that making a thread is the wrong approach and that I should attempt to make direct private contact with the admins - but that would probably be ignored also.

7. Clancy

Diggingit

The board admin has stated that you can send her an email. That's the documented process.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

Like the infraction is made on the forum ,i do not see why we have to send an Imail.
    Infraction on the forum.
    Appeal on the forum too.

9. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

This is ridiculous. Christ all of the people here are supposed to be fucking adults and you're arguing over what amounts to a black mark on your attendance sheet.

It's already been stated what the process is for 'infraction appeal'. Why don't the fucking people on this board grow the fuck up and start acting like adults? If you want to act like a horse's ass and insert yourself into every fucking drama incident on the board then you should expect an infraction or two to be headed in your general direction.

The non-stop whining by people like Ev0l, Cat0, and this on-going crap about infraction appeals is bulshit.

GROW THE FUCK UP AND ACT YOUR GODDAMN AGES.

Enough with the soft-handed bullshit, let's clean out the assholes and stop the crying when we get into trouble over something stupid. If you don't want the chance of an infraction, get the fuck out of the drama threads.

That is fucking all.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

"Someone will respond if they feel like" it is not a documented process.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

I think that we don't really need a documented process. I feel that the current situation is perfectly adequate, as I trust in the judgement of the administrator, Mars. I feel that if a node were to improperly infract someone, Mars would have the decency to recind the infraction and post an appropriate explanation.

In the absence of said rescinded infraction and the lack of an explanation post, I would assume, as a long standing member of the gV community, that the administration had made it's stance clear on the subject, especially considering the length of time which has transpired since the infraction occured.

I feel that topics like these are a waste of time when other, more relevant topic need to be discussed, like what to do about people like Ev0l and Wasted Engineer, who impede the flow of the community.

If you had been banned, then I would be on the other side of the fence, as the infraction you are speaking about was borderline at best, but you weren't. So I can't help but feel that it's just more of a nuisance to combat the infraction than to step out of the situation in which it occured and move forward, keeping the newly established limit in mind.

Sometimes it's just easier to pay the fucking speeding ticket than take time out of your life to go to court on a case you probably won't win anyhow, and whether it's right or wrong that's just life.

Documenting and outlining every conceivable action is simply not possible here, or anywhere really, and some type of judgment must come from the admin in order to keep the place running smoothly, without needless interruptions. If you ever played paper and pencil RPGs, you would know people like that as 'rules lawyers', and no one likes to play in the sandbox with a rules lawyer, they fuck up the game.

12. Clancy

Diggingit

It is documented. Whether you like the policy or not is another matter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I have not been able to locate it when I click 'Help". I really do not think it is there.

14. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

15. Clancy

Diggingit

Nina has said in a post, 'send an email'. That qualifies as documented.

That's all I meant.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I believe we do, since it has been shown that infractions are based on the feelings of the admin giving the infraction at that time (others have asked people to post in the right area and such an request has never been considered an infraction before then or after.)

I don't see that happening. If asking someone to post in the right section is against the rules - then everyone that had made the same request since then would have received an infraction - and no one ever has.

I don't agree with that. The lack of an explanation post or private e-mail when a long-standing member asked a reasonable question does not translate into a 'clear stance' at all to me.

These infractions lead up to bannings - (as Cato found out).

Since then (and before then), others have asked people in SFW zones to post properly and in NSFW without getting an warning or infraction.

That's only acceptable if you were actually speeding and it can be proved to you.

But consistency is possible.

I believe accepting that the admins will do what they want, when they want and to whomever they want leads to abuses of power (like someo of us were victims of elsewhere).

What also messes up the game is inconsistency and lack of communication.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Maryanne

Maryanne Running Naked through the Forums going "Wheee!"
    Balanced

Just to indulge in a bit of theorizing, what system would you like to see in place? How would you run an appeals process if you were Mars?

• Like Like x 1
  18. ev0L

ev0L Ghost in The Shell

Not speaking for Lias, just I think she has a valid point.
    The biggest concern is the process of creative moderation.
    Thats is, the rules not being applied in a consistent manner.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

That is not indicated as apart of any appeal process - because there is no documentation at all regarding any appeal process.

1. When you click 'Help', you get a list of topics.
    2. When you click 'infraction' on that list you get three headings:
    -A demerit-based system
    -Current Infractions
    -In Practice
    3. If you just decide to click 'contact us', a generic e-mail form pop-ups.

There is no appeal process at all. And no indication that one should send an generic e-mail to a anonymous in-box to (perhaps) have someone respond.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I suggested that in the second post in this thread and received no response.

• Like Like x 1