Infraction Appeal Process

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by Lias, 5 Sep 2011.

1. Angel  Harmison

Angel Harmison Ride Naked..Put some color on your cheeks!
    Amused

Excellent idea!!
    i do not think it should be made public information when a person has received an infraction and etc... This should be between the site owner/mod and the member only.

2. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Disagrees, reason ...Peps was very public.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Angel  Harmison

Angel Harmison Ride Naked..Put some color on your cheeks!
    Amused

That had happened when i first joined and wow.. it was something as a new member at that time i didn't want to know about and honestly did not care to hear abt but that was all anyone was writing abt. Things like that can discourage new members because a lot of hate was spewed forth on the boards over it. Everyone posting abt it came off in a less then nice light and it was so0o0o0o venom filled from so many.
    Pep's should not have been public IMO.. I am not a fan of his or a few of the others that have gotten infractions but that does not mean i want to know abt it and debate it cause that is not my business it should be handled with discretion.. but in Peps case he lovesssss to have things broadcast like that.. most do not i would think.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Maryanne

Maryanne Running Naked through the Forums going "Wheee!"
    Balanced

So the proposal (I might have this wrong) would be a form to fill out and email in to Mars? Who would then have a certain amount of time to reply?

Am I grasping that correctly?

5. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

From what I've read of what Nina has said, I get the impression that she isn't all that open to discussions outside of the forum, as it could appear to be backchannel negotiations.

I think that the mods here are pretty lenient, and that we should just accept infractions as they come.

They have the chance to expire, some rather quickly, being one week in duration. Unless one continually infracts it shouldn't really be an issue.

6. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

In fact, the policies of the planet is really easy to understand, if you are in a drama zone you can say anything, inclusiv death ,or wishing cancer and some more.
    If you are in a SFW zone and let your handkerchief fall onth floor you will get a warning.
    I am supporting the appeal from Lias, Lam, and badgie.

7. Jolene

Amazed

You know Tout? You are right.

It certainly does seem that posting drama in a no drama zone will get folks hit with a penalty, quicker than posting a death threat in Area 17.

I know that we've had discussion in this forum regarding death threats and the like. Was anything ever settled in terms of regulations?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

That was the beginnings of an idea about developing a appeal process. It was shot down on page one and no one wanted to expand upon it. But I feel that a clearer definition of what is 'causing drama' and how that can be applied to everyone has to be developed before the process is really put in place.

9. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

I did not say anything at this time , but I was very sad about what people said to you and I understand your reaction because you were hurt.

10. Maryanne

Maryanne Running Naked through the Forums going "Wheee!"
    Balanced

That's a valid point, and one that will be infinitely open to interpretation and judgment. Because every time you make a definition about the boundaries of behavior there will be someone there to challenge them and test where the line truly is. At a certain point, the enforcers have to be given some discretion about what is and is not an infraction. And someone will always be unhappy about the decision, either way. But a good reasonable definition certainly wouldn't hurt the process.

11. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

we tried to discuss that.
    imo, 'drama' is pettiness that threatens to derail threads. the thread derailment is the evil that we seek to avoid.
    forums dedicated to tech, world events, etc are just that- forums for tech and world events, not drama-laden thread derailments.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

We did discuss that for ten pages. And many suggestions were used when creating Area 17. There was very little discussion on creating an infraction appeal process.

That did not cause any drama. It sat there for hours before being flagged for an infraction and no one ever responded to. It just got two likes and that was it.

Showing someone where they can take an argument is not causing drama in a no-drama thread. It has never been an infraction here and it has not been cited as an infraction since.

That was an inappropriate infraction and should be removed.

13. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Why do infractions need an appeal process? I do not understand at all. It should be no appeal unless you have been banned. Infractions are reminders like :) a bell that goes off after so many maybe you hear the bell....before it actually tolls. I don't agree with an infractions appeal process. Ban appeals only.

14. Cato Badger

Cato Badger Infractor

Your world your lack of imagination.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jolene

Amazed

Except?

She OWNS this forum and can set the rules as she sees fit.

Don't like it? Too restrictive for you?

Post somewhere else.

Forums owners are not required to bend to your will.

Everything that I've seen has shown that she is willing to consider other viewpoints and recommendations.

If she willy, nilly banned anyone who spoke up against the current rules and regulations, Lee would have been banned long ago.

There's a HUGE difference between those that seek to improve, and those that seek to tear down.

You are WELL aware of this.

You know where you stand on it, too.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Banning is an automative process that occurs when infractions add up. You can't appeal a banning because you are denied access to the site and software banned you - not a admin.

The admin that applies infractions should base those infractions on a set standard that is available for everyone and also respond to the appeals of the posters.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jolene

Amazed

Sorry, no.

If you've accumulated enough infractions to be banned, then you deserve it.

Infractions are hard to come by here. To get enough to be banned, you've been above and beyond, disruptive here.

It's simple. Don't abuse the board so that you get infractions.

How hard is that for people to understand?

Some folks seem to think that this is a democracy. It's not.

You aren't entitled to the same rights you expect in a democracy, especially when you repeatedly post things that get you infractions.

If a person cannot post here in any meaningful matter, and chooses to troll the board, then cya.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Not really. That's like saying 'close all of the traffic courts because everyone is guilty as charged'.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jolene

Amazed

This isn't traffic court, and it's not a democracy.

The mods here are VERY lenient. Witness all of the posts that SHOULD technically warrant infractions, but do not.

If you muck up here, you've gone above and beyond accepted rules.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Liona Clio

Liona Clio Poetry in Motion
    Benevolent

If the MCP has abandoned community governance, then the community does not have a say in changing the state of an infraction (which is basically what appealing is). There is also no set standard publicly needed, as the public has cannot affect said standards. If you get an infraction, accept it. That's the only option. If the planets decide to rescind an infraction, they do it at their discretion, not the discretion of others.

Organizations that enforce standards are not democracies, they are police states. What the MCP and the planets say goes. If you can't live with their decision, as many have said, post somewhere else.

• Like Like x 3