Lain (is Bams) Who's getting hacked today thread

Discussion in 'tech' started by Lain, 11 Jun 2011.

1. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...f-millions-of-pcs-servers-and-android-phones/

Short version - if you are using a *nix based device with a 3.8 kernel (the about section of your Droid settings menu or other device usually has this info) upgrade it IMMEDIATELY!

If you cannot for some reason (update is unavaiable or no longer provided) discontinue use of the device on the NET (which includes data for cell phones)

If your phone is unable to be updated GET a NEW phone. Even if it uses SELinux as it doesn't protect you it only makes the exploit more difficult

Last edited: 20 Jan 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/0...pple_dredges_imessage_photos_videos_in_ios_9/

3. Lain

Sneaky

Nice

4. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

i don't know if this counts as being hacked, but...

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/24/mi...-bot-tay-after-twitter-users-teach-it-racism/

racisttay.JPG

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  5. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Bitchy

Microsoft: "Oh, for chrissake."

• Laugh Laugh x 2
  6. Lain

Sneaky

Isn't it awesome when an entire generation of misguided twits is allowed to partake in such an eye opening social experiment.

Seriously, what else did they expect? Manners are gone, morals are questionable, and the educational system is a total disaster.

Good Times

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    • Noob Noob x 1
  7. Mulch

Psychedelic

TRANSLATION: "Get off my lawn!!!!"

bams is getting old

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Bitchy

O tempora o mores - Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE), Consul of the Roman Republic, Roman Senator

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lain

Sneaky

Facts is facts.

And I will run you down with my ride-on mower.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. nina

Nerdy

CNBC's secure password tutorial sent your password in the clear to 30 advertisers
    http://boingboing.net/2016/03/30/cnbcs-secure-password-tutori.html

11. Mulch

Psychedelic

ok, i have been using it for like 2 years now

its time to OFFICIALLY ENDORSE a product/service

https://lastpass.com/

pay $12 a year. just fucking pay it. bitch at me in 12 months if it isnt worth it

very secure encryption (recovering lost passwords can be "problematic" if you dont secure your shit, as in pen and paper)

password manager

the tech is solid. been audited repeatedly. thats why it is hard to recover with a lost password. they dont have a key to get in

particularly during signing up new accounts, this shined

every password you have can easily have a 16 character (more) randomly generated, saved, secure, and portable password assigned to it that you never have to even think about and is secure and safe

lastpass is the sweet spot, in terms of price, security, and convenience all rolled into one. in fact, its even better than a "sweet spot"

it is near perfection

/endorsement

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. nina

Nerdy

ive used lastpass for years, before they were even known as lastpass.
    they are fucking awesome! its worth pointing out that its 'freemium', meaning its free to use on your home pc/lappy, but the mobile phone app costs 12/yr

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mulch

Psychedelic

the mobile is where it shines, tho. i wouldnt consider using the free one unless you are using a flip phone or something

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

15. Lain

Sneaky

A great lesson in why production level software should not depend on a codebase outside of the developers control.

Lazy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Mulch

Psychedelic

shared libraries make the world go round

progress would cease without shared libraries

• Like Like x 1
    • Poo Poo x 1
  17. Lain

Sneaky

IF you have no choice but to rely on shared libraries the code should be maintained locally and developers should have the capability to patch code that is rendered useless for ANY reason.

Lazy people who want to save time be reusing code from other projects should be prepared to get fucked in the back end when they aren't watching their six.

I'm surprised this is the first time we've heard about something like this, personally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mulch

Psychedelic

not quite appropriate for this thread, but fits in best here

rm -rf

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...mpany-with-one-line-of-bad-code-a6984256.html

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  19. Lain

Sneaky

Even if this is true, not because you posted it but because this is so incredulous that someone who has the wherewithal to build and run a web hosting company that is Linux based would make a 'mistake' of this magnitude.

Insurance scam perhaps? I guess it's possible someone is that stupid.

Where are the offsite redundant backups? Where are the on-site redundant backups? Where are the cloud based backups?

How was this jackass able to get bonded and certified as a web host without due diligence?

If he's not bonded and certified, then it's on the client.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lain

Sneaky