Lain's Windows 10 Review - Hopefully - or not :D

Discussion in 'onTopic' started by Briana, 30 Jul 2015.

Tags:
  1. Briana

Briana Vibrating erver closer to 4th Density
    Woot

Hi Lain!

I am ready to upgrade to Windows 10, but am skurred.

Are you going to upgrade? If so can you tell us what your experience is like - pro's & con's?
    If not, can you give us some insight if it's technical and all that stuff?

I love your tech posts and insight. So hook-a-sista-up.

Direct Link to download if you are still in the queue awaiting the upgrade on your lil windows Tray thingo: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

I do intend to upgrade.

That being said, I generally wait for the first service pack when any iteration of Windows is released unless it is installed on a new device I've purchased.

Reviews are mixed. The Edge browser offers a change but will probably fall to the wayside after Chrome is installed.

My Asus is running 8.1, and I've mostly tweaked it to my liking, but it feels like a rushed product. I'm hoping Ten solves little peeves of mine, like 'hot corners' (one of the things thankfully removed).

I'm on the road this week but plan to grab the file this weekend and see what happens. Since my Asus is fairly new, I can stomach a reset if need be.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I am with Lain, waiting for the first service pack.

Windows 8.1 is running really stable on my laptop, so I am in no hurry. My first exposure of it may be upgrading the copy of 8.1 pro I am putting in my friend's gaming rig :) I most likely will upgrade to it, since this old thing can use all the help it can get in squeezing the most performance out of it I can.

I will wait until the last second to make a decision for my main rig. It is a beast, and doesn't mind a bloated OS one bit. 7 runs very nice on it, and I certainly don't want to start breaking things when I am happy with how nicely things run. Anxiously awaiting reviews, and will go from there :)

Overall, I am hoping they aren't rushing this out. I would be willing to wait another year if they need it. Windows 8.1 is *fine*, in all honesty, it's just not what people wanted. It runs lean and stable, has great compatibility, and all the features people wanted even if they threw in a shitty interface. For a laptop, it is a nice Windows OS-- the best you can put on. However, 8 feels lacking on a desktop system, a bit too lean without tweaking (requires a lot more than 7 out of the box), and the new stuff is even more obnoxious there. But still nowhere near end of life, which is why I am in no hurry for 10. I'll wait for the initial wrinkles to be ironed out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

I'm still waiting for my little icon to tell me I'm legit to upgrade.
    In the meantime, I'm more than happy with 8.1 on my desktop (which is the only internet enabled thing I have, for me, besides Xbox).

My wife upgraded and a couple days ago and is still getting used to it.
    She says the Edge browser is significantly faster than most any other browser she uses, if not faster than all others.

I'll miss the hot corners, to be honest... I make use of them on a somewhat regular basis.
    But, not a big deal really.

5. Lain

Sneaky

But how hackable is Edge? If there's anywhere near the security issues with it that are prevelant in IE, who cares how quick it is?

:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

i dont update often, normally only because i am forced in one way or another. 98 > win2k > xp > 7 with many years in between.
    win 10 may be the first os that i update green, and only because my install of 7 is so many years old that i am looking at a clean reinstall in the near future anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

Mine is finally ready, but now I'm putting off a bit.

Lain, good points about Edge.
    No matter how good it is, I probably won't use it anyway as I'm already set up with SeaMonkey and Chrome.

From what I've skimmed, 10 looks like it does fine with Elder Scrolls Online.
    And from what I just quickly looked up, it seems it should be fine with SL, too.

8. nina

Nerdy

well i updated, and all is well. i havent found any programs that didnt function as expected, nor any other problems.
    i would still like to do a clean install sooner or later.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

clean install is recommended AFTER an upgrade, in order to keep the license intact

my laptop just became ready and since its more of a convenience than mission critical, i am all in

my desktop... i think i am going to stay windows 7. i like it, have no problems, have no need, and it is supported until 2020. it is more mission critical and it aint broke, so no need to fix it

of course i may change my mind at some point, but i see no reason at the current time

i will report news on the laptop install, if any. otherwise, based on all reports, i expect pretty smooth sailing

10. Mulch

Psychedelic

i also understand that you have 30 days to revert to your old windows, just in case it doesnt work out for someone

also, its ALWAYS a good idea to make sure the important shit is backed up prior to an upgrade

just sayin'

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lain

Sneaky

Mine is forever downloading as I bop in and out of random wifi spots.

• Hug Hug x 1
  12. Mulch

Psychedelic

just got to play with windows 10 on my laptop

wow

i like it... a lot

absolutely painless install, and even better with resources than windows 8 or 8.1

i hope everyone is finding windows 10 like i am

big win for microsoft

• Like Like x 1
  13. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

It's the best OS since NT 4.0. I humbly suggest upgrading.

• Like Like x 1
  14. nina

Nerdy

im hearing lots of talk about privacy issues.

http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10
    http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-privacy-spying.html

http://arstechnica.co.uk/informatio...ndows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mulch

Psychedelic

what is this "privacy" that you speak of?

• Like Like x 2
    • Laugh Laugh x 2
  16. nina

Nerdy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lain

Sneaky

I'm still looking for a way to install Linux on this.

There have been rumors going around that Microsoft hasn't picked up the message when it comes to privacy.

Windows 10 sends identifiable data to Microsoft despite privacy settings

Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft

And Microsoft responded with the following.... you can decide for yourself if it addresses the issues being presented as problematic:

Microsoft responds to Windows 10 privacy policy concerns

Windows 10 Privacy Policy
    Microsoft Response:
    At first glance, it would appear that Microsoft Windows 10 isn't playing nice. We'll have to see how this plays out. I would think that using a third party firewall solution would allow you to block services and applications from accessing the internet.

One of my largest concerns outside of privacy is the enormous amount of bandwidth that Windows wastes for the sake of wasting it.

If Windows is going to be a viable mobile OS solution, privacy and bandwidth consumption are it's biggest obstacles.

18. Lain

Sneaky

Found this on an Asus Transformer specific forum.....

http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...ndows-10-update-pro-s-con-s-2.html#post347358

Standard stuff here. Microsoft pushed a half finished product on people hoping the bugs would distract them from the fact that it's riddled with privacy issues and broken "features."

Looks like they've kept pace with the past and reduced the end-users control over the system (until the wave of feedback makes them relent as per usual).

Good Times.

19. Lain

Sneaky

Found this on an Asus Transformer specific forum.....

http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...ndows-10-update-pro-s-con-s-2.html#post347358

Standard stuff here. Microsoft pushed a half finished product on people hoping the bugs would distract them from the fact that it's riddled with privacy issues and broken "features."

Looks like they've kept pace with the past and reduced the end-users control over the system (until the wave of feedback makes them relent as per usual).

Good Times.

20. Mulch

Psychedelic

you can turn off updates on a per connection basis so it wont download updates on specific wifi connections

i already did this for my tethered connection. was pretty easy to figure out how

• Agree Agree x 1