legal threats/actions, death threats, etc

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by nina, 23 Jul 2011.

1. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

thats something i have been meaning to talk about; legal threats and legal actions, and whether we as a community feel they are welcome or not. i am inclined to not like them. ive always believed they not only have a chilling effect on debate, but are overly provocative. due to the current legal crap i am thinking it would be something we are better off without, fullstop.

• Like Like x 11
  2. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

Threatening a forum owner/admin with the police is the equivalent of (forum) suicide by cop in my book.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Mitch_Wexler

Mitch_Wexler Myth or Metaphor
    Mellow

I would agree that anyone that threatens the forum with groundless legal threats is an unwelcome member. It would be well to caution people that threats like that can't be taken lightly. We are here by our own free will. If someone is that upset with something they should just leave.

• Like Like x 6
  4. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

what about threatening other members?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mitch_Wexler

Mellow

I would say that it would depend on how threatened the other member/members feel. When someone threatens actual RL injury legal or physical...that's akin to an assault. Not acceptable ... in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

Or maybe sending a forum admin a letter from your attorney? :whistling:

7. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

I think my position on these issues is well documented. I don't think we would be less of a community without Wasted Engineer. I think we need more stringent application of the standards when people like Wasted (and a few others but I digress) have overstepped their boundaries.

For the record I think it's rather lame that someone was infracted and banned for threatening to call the police on the forum admin but the real life stalking incident went mostly unanswered when it occured, and the Wasted Engineer bullshit has been way over that line more than enough, so I feel that this particular infraction looks rather self serving, imo, and isn't very compliant with an even standard.

8. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Plus the fact that Don wasn't banned when he actually TOOK legal action against the forum, yet you infracted and banned Wasted due to a mere mention of the fact. Ev0l also threatened to sue and/or call the police on the forum and he went uninfracted and unbanned.

If you're going to enforce this infraction and banning you will need to rethink your position on Don, Fester and Ev0l simply to balance the double standard being formed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mitch_Wexler

Mellow

I agree with Lain (is Bams) Why would anyone take legal action against a forum in the first place...? There are no legal rights to free speech...it's an owned forum.... Legal threats to an individual poster... Not the concern of the forum in my opinion ... physical threats to a poster or anyone ON the forum including the owner and moderators... big concern... get them off....

• Like Like x 1
  10. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I think that calling the cops and calling a lawyer are two quite different things.
    (Although in the context of a forum such as this both are equally retarded. :p)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Mitch_Wexler

Mellow

Another opinion of mine...anyone threatening to sue over something on a VIRTUAL FUCKING WORLD forum..should just be shot. Banned...then shot... weed out the stupid of the world....

• Like Like x 1
  12. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

*initiates legal action against the avatar known as Mitch_Wexler et al for inciting physical real world violence against various John and Jane Does.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Mitch_Wexler

Mellow

yep........ there's always THAT danger

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Then Don should get some infractions maybe?

15. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Ah ok I did not know that was how it worked.

16. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

No threats should be tolerated to anyone's life. No stalker crossover from forum to real life should be permitted. Death threats are illegal in the world , yes?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I understand the first post in this thread received an infraction. But this one I can't figure out why it was a rule breaker. Perhaps Mercury was a little trigger happy and need just one more to send WE on his way.

18. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

If you look at the details, the first one is just a warning.
    The second one was worth 10 points.
    And it looks like he's threatening with reporting the forum for something related to children in the second post... maybe that's why that one got included?

19. Shelby S

Shelby S Stupid should hurt.
    Creative

W.E. does this for fun. I think it's his primary source of entertainment. He spews nonsense, stirs the pot and sits back and laughs as the drama ensues.
    I'm new here, but I think the atmosphere is welcoming and interesting, and the community is growing. Threatening police or legal actions on a forum is ridiculous and pretty childish, (hell I wish WE would call the police, they wouldn't find him funny at all and maybe it would even get him put on some LIST somewhere. Maybe with homeland security or something...) but I don't know the history here on gV and all I can really comment on is WE. I'm glad he's in time out. Next ban (and there will be one) will probably be permanent, just a guess and it IS his usual pattern.
    Nina, I hope whatever threats you've been given are just someone blowing off steam, pouting and stomping their feet, and don't cause you any inconvenience.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

No, Don should get some therapy.

Wasted Engineer, too.

Unlike Don, or Bulldick!, however, Wasted Engineer continued to post at gV after threatening to have the forum admin prosecuted. Allowing Wasted Engineer to post while he is threatening legal action to hurt to the forum administrator has no logical justification. Neither does his continued postings, or ravings I should call them, but he is mentally incapable of making good, balanced judgments even on this simple level. The forum admin, on the other hand, has shown herself to be well-balanced, and more than fair to Wasted Engineer and others who regularly disrupt her forum. But, allowing him to post after he has condemned her and threatened to send the police after her is expecting a bit too fucking much.

Case closed.

• Like Like x 5