legal threats/actions, death threats, etc

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by nina, 23 Jul 2011.

1. Angel  Harmison

Angel Harmison Ride Naked..Put some color on your cheeks!
    Amused

I honestly think when people threaten a forum with atty's and calls to the FBI or police or whatever that's crazy and should be delt with as you have done. You have proven you are a darn good judge of things of that nature and have delt swiftly with this problem and i think fairly also. Great job Sheriff!

Now as for people who threaten physical harm to others on a forum or death threats..
    i realize this is cyber space but honestly it sends cold chills down my spine to read that sort of thing. Threats of violence or death should never be taken lightly or as a joke or because they think another member deserves it or deserved it. A person/member making these threats of violence or death must be unbalanced to some degree to think it is okay to communicate like that. Some people can go off the wall and actually seek out a person and harm them in real. In my opinion i would give one warning and then if ever again they threaten with violence or death to that member or any other member anywhere on this forum i would show show zero tolerance...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Perhaps so. But you do realize that he cannot send police from Spain to Australia, don't you?

I do not think it is a good idea to get too immersed in WE's world and start playing along with his fantasies when it suits you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. clio

clio Pokity Poke Poke
    Alone

my 2 bits
    the treat was to laughable to be taken serious..in this case!
    having said that i agree that threats in general should be stomped on hard by admin.
    now i think this is a good discussion in a general way but i guess i agree with Cris at SLU talking about someone who cannot respond is just plan lame and should not be done.

that does not mean the discussion about threats to members and admin should not continue, just leave wasted out of it until he can speak incoherently for himself

• Like Like x 5
  4. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

Nina, do you mean threatening other members with police/lawyers?
    Or just in general?

Either way, I think only the entirely serious ones would need any infractions.
    For example, most of what Wasted has said to other members wouldn't fall under "truly" threatening... if not all of his comments for that matter.
    (He has crossed a line or two, but nothing seriously threatening an individual member of the forum, excluding the owner of course.)
    I mean, most people wouldn't be able to follow through on any of those threats, since in most situations the person wouldn't have the foggiest idea where the other person lived or worked anyway.

A threat of legal or police action would be more likely than any personal harm threats, most of the time.
    So I think I'd take a harder line with those.
    Just not a catch-all rule either though... like, what if someone was committing libel and they were threatened with legal action?
    But I figure you probably mean in clearly serious cases only, Nina, yes?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

That's not quite true.
    Technically, you could get the police/FBI/whatever involved in an inter-national case if there was enough reason for it.
    If someone from the USA was threatening someone in Siberia with hacking them or something, the person from Siberia could possibly get the police in the USA to look into it.

Depending on how this situation was described, it may be possible to get authorities to look into the forum.

I doubt he could actually accomplish anything against this forum, but it wouldn't be impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SCIF Princess

SCIF Princess Inhabited

*sigh* That pretty much sums up my real-world occupation. Even worse; apparently, I'm good at it. I was promoted to CWO3 a while back.

Stand at Parade Rest when you say that! :p Oh, screw it, never mind. There's San Pellegrino water in the mini-fridge over there. Help yourself

/waves hand towards the corner of room

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

A citizen of Spain living in Spain cannot get the United State's Federal Bureau of Investigations to look into the forum practices of an Australian citizen living in Australia.

Here is a visual interpretation of where this WE thread is going:

[​IMG]

8. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

It could very well depend on where the servers are, such as gotVirtual running on servers in the USA.

But that wasn't my point or what I implied.
    I said the "police/FBI/whatever", as in whatever authorities are applicable.

9. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

"Hello FBI, I am a citizen of Spain and I would like to report a forum owner in Australia that has servers in the United States. Her crime is that she runs a currupted community and allows secondlife´s asslickers to defend secondlife. I expect an immediate and thorough investigation"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Angel  Harmison

Angel Harmison Ride Naked..Put some color on your cheeks!
    Amused

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: that's funny!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

Whether or not a person's threats could be materialized (due to whatever reason, be it insanity or infeasibility), it's still a threat.

Do we, as a community want to allow that?

That is the question as I see it put to us.

I say no. It's easy enough to leave this forum if someone is dissatisfied. Nobody is forced to be here. Threats made to the owner/admins or even any of us show contempt for this forum.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

"I'm going to drag the moon out of the sky and hit you in the head with it".

It would be a silly policy used to snuff out silly statements.

Real threats, not nonsense.
    _________

When people start to openly suggest (or campaign) to get people to agree that a poster should be perma banned, I tend to lose interest. I just click the report button on someone as often as I feel necessary and move on. Using the word 'Community' to convince people to rally to do something like that to anotherr poster is an abuse of the word. Virtual lynch mobs have nothing to do with community.

[​IMG]

13. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Indeed. And, Nina hasn't. Nina doesn't play at stuff, she takes the bull by the horns (Oh, yeah! Spanish symbol ref!)

Wasted Engineer's temporary time-out is right any way you look at it. But, it will also be directly helpful to him. Allowing him to continue to post in his current vein of insane would be to enable bad behaviour, and that would be bad for him and everyone else. Now, he has to stop the socially aberrant behaviour if he wants to post again.

Nina knows how to prepare food and people's disarranged minds—valuable job skills in today's uncertain job market.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Oh, that's not true at all. Bad behavior is enabled for you - as it is for everyone that posts here. If anyone but Wasted made such a laughable comment it would have just been laughed at and nothing more.

15. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

That isn't bad behaviour, that's a right granted to me and you and even Wasted Engineer. Don't mistake what Wasted Engineer was doing for exercising freedom of speech.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Yeah, OK. His words aren't freedom of speech - yours are.

He made a nonsensical statement and there were over reactions. If folks had stopped and not responded with their standard knee-jerk reaction, they would have realized what he posted was not even possible.

I think many times people log onto the internet and replace their usual rational thought process with the emotions of a thirteen year old girl.

It's a nice release from being adult and aware of what is really happening and responding in an adult-like fashion, I agree. But one needs to know when to put the breaks on and use that rational adult thought process before it just gets out of control.

[​IMG]

17. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

REAL threats. He believes in his mind that it's a real threat, unlike your very silly statement (that you know to be silly).

I agree with Tarzan. It's putting him (or anyone else) on notice that it won't be tolerated.

Do we really need to wait for him to post death threats, like he did on the Flogs regarding Jack Linden?

You call it over reaction. I call it putting a line in the sand.

It's up to him, whether or not, he learns from it.

When you continuously make excuses for it, you are just asking for it to be ramped up more and more...And sure enough that is exactly what happens.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

IF someone actually had a case against the forum and didnt merely threaten legal action but took real world steps to bring about litigation, then it would seem that banning that person (while it IS the right of the site owners), would end up being counter productive.

Having a rule against bringing REAL legal action against the site or other posters (if the reason to bring legal action was legit enough to get the attention of a court system) can also be viewed as blackmail among other things.

Sure, have a rule against open ended, spouting off at the 'mouth' threats, that would fall under 'spam' blah blah... but if someone decides to take legal action for a legit reason, they shouldnt be told they cant. I doubt the owners of the site will sign a waver saying they give up the right to legal action against any and all participants and I dont feel that the participants should be asked to do so either.

If someone on here is stalked in the real world, by a participant of this forum, NO ONE has a right to tell them they cant take legal action. If someone on here defames another, and it can be proven, does anyone have the right to tell them they cant recoup losses? If the site is attacked and the owners incur losses, are they not going to take legal action?

That's a slippery slope you're walking up. IF you're going to implement a policy regarding this issue, it should be very very clearly defined.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

That's just about the point I was hoping would be made, that this has to be an all or nothing thing. You can't determine which threats are credible and which are false. You cannot confirm which threats have merit or validity and which do not. Just because Don says his claim is credible, and he was ableto pay someone to send a letter to that regard, that doesn't make his claim credible, nor does it make his threats viable. He is blackmailing Nina into giving up my information for his own personal stalking purposes.

So, in my case (with the stalking incident), there was CLEARLY a REAL LIFE threat being played out but that didn't really seem to hit any buttons, and then again in the Don thing that doesn't seem to hit that many buttons, and in Ev0l's case when he was ranting about legal threats and blackmail attempts that went unanswered for the most part..... but now we're going to create a rule about it and start banning people because some loon posted something relatively similar to the shit he posts daily?

the precedent being set here is that it's ok to do what you will to the members, but don't threaten the admins or you're getting the ban hammer. That's a lopsided policy that I can't get behind. Either it's not ok to engage in the behavior, or it's acceptable.

SINGLE STANDARDS ARE WHAT WE SHOULD BE STRIVING FOR.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Actually, you have no ability to know what he thinks. But insisting you know this will help you justify your stance - even though you know what he posted was just silly gibberish.

SCENARIO: I get arrested for cocaine possesion. The white powder gets tested and it's just baby laxitive. The prosecuting attorney says that since I thought it was real I shoulds get 20 years in jail. The judge agrees.

What is important is that thinking adults know it's silly and impossible.

Yes it is - by anyone else.

There is no real person on that forum named Jack Linden. The rules of the flogs don't even allow curse words - so none of you would last long there if you posted there like you post here.

I call it imposing a seperate standard on one poster.

I said that about you all responding to him - but that's not stopping anyone.

When Mulch and Wad had that slap fight and Wad offerred to lay in wait for Mulch with a sniper rifle - there was no outrage, warnings, demerits or calls for bannings.