legal threats/actions, death threats, etc

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by nina, 23 Jul 2011.

1. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Nina don't mind hearing opinions from us. She wants people to be happy here. So, if there is a discussion about administrative action I do feel free to comment, and even expect thoughtful consideration of what I have to say. There isn't much more to be said on this particular issue but people do tend to repeat the same stuff as a way of advocating certain perspectives.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Wasted made no real threats of any legal action. Something that cannot transpire in reality is not a threat against anyone. Don stands alone with that title. WE has no place in an conversation on this subject. This convo could include Don, ev0L, Fester and Wad - all of which were never sanctioned for any physical or legal threats they have made.

3. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

Obviously, the admin felt otherwise.

You cannot judge it based upon the chance of it having feasibility.

If that were the case, then Don's threat is equally ridiculous, as it's highly unlikely that he'll successfully sue the owner (based in Oz) from the US.

No, it's someone (anyone) attempting to strong arm the owner/admin/posters here, to affect their behavior, with the threat of any type of legal action which is at the heart of the issue here.

• Like Like x 3
  4. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I don't believe that the the owner of a forum, particularly one that is paid out of that person's own pocket should be required to tolerate any kind of threat against them and their forum. Whether or not WE was in a position to make the threat real or not is in my opinion irrelevant.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Behave better, real or imaginary threats aren't liked by the admin: that's the message. She won't tolerate them against forum members, either. Seems fair to me.
    Pretty much every thing else can be discussed at gV, and is every day.
    That's the best deal ever.

Case dismissed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

"i'm going to pick you up and hurl you at the sun so you burst into flames and die" is an imaginary threat like We's threat to call the police because of harbouring 'asslickers'. And, accordind to you, should be squashed with admin sanctions. Of ccourse, that is never going to happen on a regular basis.

7. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

LOL wut.

He never threatened to sue the owner of gV - he sent an attorney letter to compel the owner of gV to reveal real life info of another poster. He wanted to sue a member of gV- not the owner of gV.

IF there is actually a real threat made and not just babbling nonsense. Harbouring asslickers is not a crime investigated or prosecuted in Australia, Spain or America.

8. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

It's not what position WE is in to carry out anything - it is the fact that what he said was not anything comprehensible in the real world.

If the cocaine is baby laxitive, then no crime was committed - no matter what.

WE's thread was just a joke because none of what he wrote makes any sense or is plausible. I think this bizarre declaration from some about threats comes from some reading too much WE and trying to argue with him over nonsense for months.

9. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Why is this about WE? I thought Nina was asking thoughts on how to handle threats not thoughts on WE? It has to be across the board one standard for all members.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

We can brow LL's 'Bad Word' software. Whenever anyone posts, 'police', 'sue', 'court' or 'FBI' the forum will automatically quarantine the offending account.

11. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I disagree. It's all fun and games until some lunatic actually does find a way to make good on a threat. In some ways, a forum owner is in the position of a tethered goat. If a forum member feels threatened (justifiably or not) they can at least withdraw from the forum for a time whereas a forum owner's only recourse if they wanted to withdraw (and why should they have to?) would be to shut down the forum.

• Like Like x 3
  12. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

This is just silly. There are any number of discussion contexts where the four words you mention would be perfectly acceptable.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Exactly.

It's beginning to resemble the storyline in 'The Emperor's New Clothes'

14. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I cannot make good on my threat to hurl you into the sun because it's not plausible. Harbouring Second Life asslickers will never be invested by any law enforcement agency.

No forum owner feels threatened by nonsensical statements. I believe what you are endorsing is revenge - not real justified admin actions.

15. Angel  Harmison

Angel Harmison Ride Naked..Put some color on your cheeks!
    Amused

Since i have become a member i have heard some very outragious things said here to each other. Things that have amazed me. One member felt another member deserved or they just wanted to say to hurt the other member or they just said for shock value.

Right now I am thinking only of Jolene and Lain.. both of these were terrible events. I feel had the people doing this been delt with right away it would have not went south the way it did. Both of these people suffered at the hands of different people one of them even provided proof.. yet it took it becoming spread out all over other forums and talked abt all over the place before it was delt with in Jolene's case. In Lains case nothing absolutely nothing was done. Yes each one could have left here and taken a break but what did they do wrong??? Why should the offenders be rewarded with the ability to continue posting here while the one's that were done so bad take a short break???

Most of us are all in agreement that when a person threatens legal action, serves papers etc etc call FBI etc etc to the owner/admin that they be delt with right away i still think zero tolerance on that issue.

Yet what about the threats.... why can we not come here have discussion, agree or disagree, call each other names, etc etc with out threatening a person's real life or family etc etc. I do believe we need some sort of limit on this like don't do it at all. That way we can have a good forum still do what ever without dragging in peoples real life or family members. :2cents:

PS::: before i forget no one knows how financially well off that crazy person threatening you is or how off balanced their brain truly is. So we can not assume that a lot of this is idle crap because it takes just once for those two things to come together and someone here get hurt in real for it to ruin a forum for good.

just a thought

• Like Like x 3
  16. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

I have to agree here. We need to limit this discussion (if there's going to be one) to what happens when someone types a threat on this forum. THAT is the only thing that can be governed here. Personally, I'm happy with either way. I agree that if it's going to be a punishable offense for someone to run their mouth and make a threat of legal action... that it should be across the board starting whenever the rule is implemented.

The exception I was taking was because someone brought up punishing the real life action of seeking legal avenues. I dont remember who it was... but frankly this forum, or any other, has no right to dictate a person's real world legal rights.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sarah Nerd

Sarah Nerd Feels most comfortable around other misfits.
    Barefooter

THIS THIS THIS!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Well, that's not really the answer here. It's not really set up to be a dictatorship.

19. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

I think we've already discussed that although it's not a 'dictatorship', it's not a 'democracy' either.

If anything is supposed to be gained from this discussion, it should be limited to the topic that the admin actually has governing rights over.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Right. So the 'If you don't like it leave' meme does not really fit.