legal threats/actions, death threats, etc

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by nina, 23 Jul 2011.

1. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

If you say: Forum members, you can now threaten to beat up other forum members, or your spouse, or the president. Threats are not real, go ahead if you want to.

Do you know what happens next?

Some asshole every day of his asshole life will post something to the effect of:
    It's only a threat. Even after he posts that 50 times in 30 days, it's only a threat. So why should anyone get annoyed? Freedom of speech must include threats, right?

No, I don't think so.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

I will blow up this damn forum , if we don't talk more about chocolate....

• Like Like x 9
  3. LOL Tout! Yes! Chocolate is worth dieing for huh?

Peace!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Saffs

Saffs Accredited batshit buster
    Probing

That comes under banned for boring people with repetition

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

See?
    Now this doesn't need to be outlawed here.
    If we're going to outlaw those type of comments... :shudder:

I still like the idea of tying it to whether it's troll/flame-like behavior, instead of just "threats in general".

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

The problem is that deranged minds don't spam a death threat for repeated lols, they only use that as the cover story. The deranged mind threatens you often enough to make you nervous, to make you stop criticising him, or to compel you to leave the forum entirely. It's about power for these anonymous psychos, not a freedom of speech issue, and not lols. Lilliputian in scale as it may appear to you now, one who is not being threatened every day, this concern I raise may seem excessive and unjustified. But put yourself in the place of someone being harassed. Then reconsider whether threats should be allowed or not in this forum.

Threats are not cool no matter how you look at them, in my opinion. They have no place in a public forum. You are right about repeated threats being spam, and a sanctioned offense. But, there is this other aspect that is even more important as a reason why no threats should be permitted.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

Kick, I'm talking about provable illegal activity... not just running off at the mouth threats. Frankly, I think that anyone that rallies on and on in a forum about wanting to sue someone is full of shit. If it were me, I'd ban them simply for being an annoying little twit. That's not what I was talking about, though.

I'm talking about actually taking an action. It's no one's right to tell someone else that they cant take an action. It IS admins right to say they cant clog up the forum board with threats and propaganda.

A person with a real case or witness to illegal action will most of the time keep their mouth shut, contact a member of the court system (lawyer, police, etc) and file behind the scenes. Any lawyer will tell you that any case you DO have will be compromised by blabbing about it anyway.

No one has a right to tell me or anyone else what actions I'm allowed or not allowed to take in the real world. When on a forum, though, they do have a right to tell me I cant use the desired medium (text posts) to make threats, empty or otherwise on the boards.

Now, the admin CAN ban (has the right to) a person after finding out that they took real life legal action (whether it be against the admin or another poster) regardless of whether they posted about it or not. It will more than likely backfire, though, if the person kept everything quiet and behind the scenes.

So, just to clarify, I'm happy with either decision regarding the posting of threats of legal or harmful actions (empty threats or otherwise). I'm against any admin anywhere attempting to regulate anyone's behavior (real action) in the real world.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

Sounds like we're in agreement then. :)
    I agree, and even said so somewhere I think, that legit legal threats don't strike me as a good reason to ban someone.
    Which is why I've been talking about the trolling element as being important.

We're basically saying the same thing. :lol:

:hug:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

My opinion:
    1) Legal threats are legal threats. Either they have a case or they dont. These can fall by the wayside. Someone isnt physically in danger and real life information will be available until and unless it's court ordered by a judge that you turn over such records. In most cases, you probably dont even have such information since an ip address isnt exactly user / location specific beyond a small group of logins.

2) Death threats should NEVER be tolerated. Period. Threats of physical harm / death to another user should at the very least be awarded punishment points. You always want to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to physical harm.

3) Same as 2

4) This is a slippery slope on a lot of cases. People's version of 'inhumanity' varies unless it's taken to an extreme. That's like saying 'dont be mean' or dont 'insult'...
    As has been shown recently, anyone can claim 'insult' at someone simply responding to a post. Someone can claim 'insult' because they dont like a person's avatar pic. I'd leave this one out totally as it leaves things up to each mod and their perception / perspectives and interpretations of this rule.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Angel  Harmison

Angel Harmison Ride Naked..Put some color on your cheeks!
    Amused

I agree completely with Chao's statement all the way to number 4:
    Maybe Nina it would be nice to see exactly what you mean by the use of the word Inhumanity in regards to your forum please. :)

I feel when Jumpy and Wasted said all that to Jolene it was inhumane. When the guy made the comment to Lain that he was in her home town and touched her at a gas station that was inhumane...even tho he later said he was not being honest it was still frightening.
    But then again i also feel like both of these example fall clearly under 2 and 3 quoted above.

I could care less abt the name calling here or changing quotes to reply to another etc etc etc but i do believe that when a person make an obvious threat either physical threat to a member or their family or any type of death threat it needs to be delt with so it does not turn into a 200 page hate fest. I am not including things like blowing up the forum for chocolate that is an obvious joke. I know you can discern the obvious from the hate.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wasted Engineer

Wasted Engineer Secret Identity
    Notamused

funny how you pretend to have a decent civil discussion here in a forum where you support the abuse at children, and the deceitfulness.

The FBI investigates public corruption...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate

I will not sue gV , I´ll just send the tip, you are warned again nina.

https://tips.fbi.gov/

12. Earth

Earth Interface Unit

the automated deactivation was not updated with a correct reinstatement time. thus, the ban was automatically lifted prematurely.
    we will let it be, a technicality of sorts. the next infraction however...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wasted Engineer

Notamused

Earth, stop the infractions, can´t you see I´m leaving this forum?, at least let me have my farewell...

Imagine a forum pro-suicide, or pro-anorexia... it´s corrupted community...

now imagine a forum pro-gambling-children (or pro-lindenlab)....

14. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

inhumanity would be posts that appear sociopathic, such as the final comments of jumpy.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

You've got to be kidding me.

Like this completely unrepentant statement?

I will not sue gV , I´ll just send the tip, you are warned again nina.

https://tips.fbi.gov/

• Like Like x 3
  16. Wasted Engineer

Notamused

yes, nina, it´s all my bad... you are always perfect.

17. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

Ah well, it's my bedtime. Sweet dreams everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Wow. What a complete crock of shit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

it wont happen again.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wasted Engineer

Notamused

I knew it was an error. Everyone makes errors, but only some can admit it and learn from them.