legal threats/actions, death threats, etc

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by nina, 23 Jul 2011.

1. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

It's just the same and as unpleasant as someone claiming you are lying about your personal life. It's just cowards on the internet being as rude as they can.

No one is unless they use their real name and real image.

2. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

not really talking about something as simple as a 'death wish' so much as a death threat.
    inhumanity isnt a reference to a simple death wish either. 'i hope you die in a fire' is not the same thing as 'i am glad you have a brain tumour and i hope it kills you'.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

This is how I see it exactly.

I would like to add, mostly for Lias' sake as she cannot seem to grasp the notion: allowing "gamers" to issue death threats to other "gamers" leads to some of them doing it all the time to harass someone. It is not fun to read that shit daily and know it won't stop because the forum rules allow it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Sort of off-topic but the 'Infactors' tab sounds like a rather bad idea on the surface of it, sort of like a popularity contest for assholes. I just wanted to toss that out there for reflection.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

To be fair, that's your opinion of the matter.

I have an opinion too... and it says that those things are different.
    Saying someone is lying may not be nice, but it's a comment on what they're writing.
    Saying you hope someone suffers more due to an ailment they have is cruelly wishing pain on someone's physical person.

Many people share details about their RL and support each other in hard times.
    We post pictures that we've taken in RL and share opinions on a huge amount of topics.
    Not to mention some people have met in RL or talked on the phone or whatever.

All of that (and much more) taken together means we're connecting on a level more real than just anonymous people posting anonymous text on a forum board.

6. Ajax Manatiso

Ajax Manatiso Everybody lambada!
    Dancing

There are ALWAYS real people behind the avatars. The avatar is only a representation and not who you are actually dealing with. Some people disassociate themselves with reality on the net and pretend the avatar is only a character, allowing them to unleash inner demons and unresolved angst in a way that is totally inappropriate anywhere. A good rule of thumb is to never say anything online that you would not say to a co-worker at your place of work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dadatic

dadatic Should Update Title

My co-workers make me nervous. My rule of thumb is to never say anything to a co-worker that I would not say online.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Chaos_Factor

Chaos_Factor Flying Leprechaun
    Sick

+10

This was part of my original concern. It tends to leave tons of grey area open to interpretation. The users of Utherverse are all too familiar with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who said 'not again' when seeing the proposal for the first time.

9. Angel  Harmison

Angel Harmison Ride Naked..Put some color on your cheeks!
    Amused

yeah you are absolutely right.
    To me those unleashing their inner angst on line appear to be nut jobs and need to get off line. If the best they can do is attack people and curse like there is no tomorrow they are kinda showing how impotent they are in real and how really unhinged they are imo :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

Quite a few folks have been guilty of this one at one time or another. :whistling:

11. Angel  Harmison

Amused

possibly .. but for a few i have seen here..it has become an art to brag abt.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

Who's bragging?

13. Mitch_Wexler

Mitch_Wexler Myth or Metaphor
    Mellow

Honestly...I don't wish ANYONE death... Not even an Avatar. I can get mad, call people names, even wish I could punch someone every once in a while...I guess I'm just not much of a "gamer"

• Like Like x 3
  14. Angel  Harmison

Amused

yeah i am not much of a "gamer" either.. real keeps me to busy however being a human and not an avatar i do have feelings and have expressed them at times :p

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey