Man eats 25,000th Big Mac

Discussion in 'onTopic' started by Clancy, 17 May 2011.

1. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Unless he had a heart attack, it happened

Posted May 16, 2011
    Fond du Lac man prepares to eat 25,000th Big Mac
    By Russell Plummer
    Gannett Wisconsin Media

FOND DU LAC — Don Gorske sometimes cannot taste the Big Macs he eats every day.

But he keeps eating, and this week he expects to hit another Big Mac milestone: On Tuesday, Gorske plans to consume his 25,000th Big Mac.

Gorske, 57, says that since birth his taste buds have fluctuated in sensitivity, possibly worsening when he worked inside tanks at a factory.

However, not knowing if he'll taste the Big Macs has not dampened his love for the McDonald's staple.

He began eating the popular special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun burgers on May 17, 1972.

Gorske will devour his 25,000th Big Mac at the McDonald's at 699 S. Military Ave. in Fond du Lac — exactly 39 years since he drove his father's Dodge Polara to the original McDonald's on Military Avenue and fell in love with the sandwich.

"A person like me, I just don't change too much," Gorske said. "It's pretty much two Big Macs a day. When I can travel to sporting events, I like to take my Big Mac along."

Tuesday also will be Gorske's retirement party. He has spent 25 years as a scheduling officer at Waupun Correctional Institution.

Gorske hopes to be surrounded by friends and family Tuesday at McDonald's, where the first 300 people will be getting Gorske buttons and free meal coupons.

He also will bring three displays only viewed by his family and the Guinness World Records — including receipts documenting his obsession.

The need to keep track of his Big Mac consumption is part of the obsessive-compulsive disorder he has dealt with since childhood.

In 1990 — the year Gorske ate his 10,000th Big Mac — a tornado damaged the roof of his home and made a mess of his collection.

Gorske had to do the unthinkable.

"I thought, 'I might as well get rid of them.' I burned like 7,000 cartons over at my brother-in-law's farm," Gorske said.

He said his receipts and a special witness — his wife, Mary — validate his obsession.

Gorske now purchases six Big Macs on Monday and eight on Thursday. He has a spare in his freezer in case of an emergency.

In his basement are relics from the original McDonald's on Military. On a section of the wall is the seat he sat in during the film "Super Size Me" and the booth seat where he and his father enjoyed his 10,000th Big Mac.

He puts two Big Macs in his luggage in case he cannot find a McDonald's when he travels.

Gorske even ate a Big Mac from Hawaii that a friend mailed to him.

"I froze it and then I baked it in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees," Gorske said. "I figured if that didn't kill the germs, nothing would."

His wife, a nurse, just shakes her head when Gorske tells the tale of his Hawaii burger.

2. Lain

Lain lyrical wordsmith motherfuckin' genius
    Musical

3. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

4. Cody

Cody a.k.a. Ecliptic Lackey
    Balanced

Wow, look at that guy. He must be at least almost 2 pounds overweight. And he looks so sickly, like he can barely walk and talk. Obviously all that fast food and chemical additives are toxic and anti-healthy.

5. Clancy

Diggingit

His arteries could be clogged, he could be in danger of a stroke. It is possible.

6. Cody

Balanced

That is always possible of anyone; and it doesn't require 25,000 Big Macs either (although they certainly don't do anything to alleviate the situation). But I spotted something in a video of the occasion that supports a personal theory about why many people who eat at fast food joints don't get fat.

7. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

go on...

8. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

I confess: I love Big Macs.....I know they are supposed to be bad and everybody tells me they taste awful, but: :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Then again, I don't eat two a day, but one per 1 or 2 months.

9. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cody

Balanced

Well, in the video you see the guy happily wolfing his Big Mac. It's supposed to be the 25,000th in 39 years, which works out to not quite 2 every day (7 every 4-day period), and so far the guy shows no obvious health problems. Tarzan postulates that he might have an invisible issue, like high cholesterol; but let's leave that aside for the moment since we really have no way of proving does/doesn't, and anyway the main grievance people have with McDonald's is that it's supposed to cause a very visible health issue, u.k.a. obesity. The guy's not getting fat on almost two Big Macs a day for four decades straight.

What I noticed in the video is no french fries with his sandwich, just a drink. My personal little theory is that obesity vis-a-vis restaurants is too much of ANY food in general, potatoes specifically. I contend that French fries, like Big Mac sandwiches, aren't inherently "bad for you", inasmuch your body is perfectly capable of metabolizing them with no trouble and you can eat one and not suffer any incidental negative health effects as a result. It's not that they're potatoes, or even that they're fried. The problem is portion control, and that is extremely difficult to do with french fries because there are practically no visual cues, and every restaurant's fries are different sizes, making it difficult to standardize in your mind. Despite this, restaurants - including fast food joints but particularly regular, non-fast food restaurants, which people are culturally predisposed to consider healthier than fast food joints, for some reason really love to pile on the french fries.

Just think about the last time you ate out at one of these places. Imagine a menu at an casual restaurant where you buy an item, any item (sandwich or otherwise) with a choice of potato. You can pick a baked potato (1 whole potato), or you can pick mashed potatoes (of which a serving is roughly the same amount of potato as the baked potato gives you); but if you get french fries, you typically end up with as much "potato" in total as two, or three baked potatoes, or even more depending on the restaurant. And the typical person who would have felt satisfied after his baked potato or scoop of mashed potatoes will eat all or at least most of the fries on his plate because the individual fries are (relatively) small and seem negligible by themselves, essentially fooling the brain into not realizing just how much total food all those skinny little fries represents.

Restaurants that serve breakfast go even more nuts with their various breakfast-style potato offerings than they do with french fries, laying whole slabs of potatoes on the plate; in the case of breakfast, I daresay fast food restaurants' potato portions tend to be surprisingly sane and conservative.

The body can handle two Big Macs a day. They're far from the biggest, or most "unhealthy" sandwich the restaurant sells. What it can't handle is the equivalent of two or three whole potatoes every time you sit down to eat. It doesn't need all that. When you eat more food than normal, the body is genetically programmed to store excess for use in times of famine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cody

Balanced

• Like Like x 1
  13. colleen Criss

Cheerful

CaTO ! LOL don't eat them they will hate your heart and your hips over time !

14. colleen Criss

Cheerful

In all honesty we really do not do fast food unless we have no choice ie traveling .

15. Cody

Balanced

There's no question that there's better quality food choices out there for your daily fare. McDonald's food isn't necessarily "bad" for you on one-off occasions, but there's better things to eat for your money on a regular basis.

16. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

Yup.

17. Clancy

Diggingit

I am proud to live in a country where you can eat 10,000 Big Macs, become insane from the chemical additives, eat 15,000 more and be recognised by the press for your achievement.