MSI GE Series GE62 Apache-276 Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'tech' started by Mulch, 22 Nov 2015.

1. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

so for the past 6 or so years, i have been buying $300ish laptops and ending up getting frustrated when they kinda suck and dont do what i am asking well, even on an i5, or when they are fine and just go and die on me (my mothers is still sitting in over 9,000 pieces) because to change out a simple cpu fan, i had to take EVERYTHING apart and out, including the damn bluetooth card (about half the size of a US dime), to get to this 1 $12 fan.

so putting it back together, even though it is a well specced $300ish laptop (thats a refurb that worked great until she dropped it and the cpu fan broke) has been a daunting task, because if i connect something wrong, its not a matter of 2 thumb screws to open it and "jiggle the handle," its taking apart tons of shit, in order, with a fuckton of screws to fix that 1 simple thing, risking fucking up everything between that point and a sealed case whilst putting it back together. laptop repair SUX

but anyway, i decided i would get me away from the commodity junk sector as i do need a laptop, and get a very nice PC laptop, as my last foreign keyboard, a well specced, "bargain" refurb i5 intel hd3000 "ultrabook," currently broken in many ways atm and unusable (even when it worked fine). kita even warned me, that when they had over 1,000 refurbs to sell (newegg), that there was a reason there were so many and were at a greatly reduced in price. so now i know and she was right. that model turned out to be a well specced lemon =(

it may have SOME use when re-purposed eventually, but as a mobile windows system, those days are over

anyway, i decided to buy a mid range/high end year old (brand new, on sale) laptop mostly for work (legit, i do video, i need a powerful system for fieldwork), but gaming is cool too. it can edit videos in competitive time with my powerhouse desktop machine under the right circumstances (well, not really in volume, but compared to getting it to my main machine would take more time beyond rendering/processing it with networking issues, EVEN LOCALLY ON Fiber or courier with usb3.0, then rendering it on this machine would be faster).

it was new, it was on sale, it was well reviewed (averaging 4/5 on multiple sites); nothing near its specs came within hundreds of dollars, and MSI made it, and i use an MSI GPU on my main rig HAPPILY (even more happily when i "fixed" their overuse of thermal grease with ultra high end, temp lowering, good for 10 years, *in the right amount* it has well exceeded expectations, even many years on) , so i gave it ago. Especially since the cpu alone costs around 80% of the entire price of the laptop, which contained a nice gpu (GTX960m), a decent hard drive, 12 gigs of ram with room to expand, and a 1 tb 7,200 hardrive with room to add an ssd as a boot, and a 5th gen quad core i7 with HT

add the programmable backlit keys, AWESOME screen (1080p), really nice and responsive trackpad , buttons, and keyboard (REALLY NICE)

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-15-6-Inch-GE62-APACHE-082-9S7-16J212-082/dp/B00YPEIFYA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152903

i luv it so far!. msi steps right up with asrock and asus as brands of choice for those who care

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Nov 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mulch

Psychedelic

btw, i REALLY like windows 10

its dumb enough for my mom to figure out, and smart enough to let me steer the ship

it is also spyware. but that is a totally different conversation.

but i like it A LOT. only reason i wont upgrade my main rig is atm, it does everything i want in a stable environment for 4 more years. no reason to disrupt this

the laptop on 10. A+

windows 10 is or can be with small tweaks, the best windows if not the best OS ever

and i am a linux fan (and freebsd)

windows 10 ends the "windows is fucking annoying and in the way" stage

i hate to say it it, but windows 10 makes windows actually worth buying... based only on my experiences so far

(and completely understanding that it is spyware)

3. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

what is that on your screen?
    i have never owned a lappy. not a proper lappy anyway. the place i live in is so small that i would need to sit at the comp desk to use it anyway :happy:

4. Mulch

Psychedelic

thats a picture of gizmo on my screen <3

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

I love the keyboard! :hearts:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mulch

Psychedelic

i kept it the gay flag but it has 3 zones you can set the color for. havent decided which yet because the rainbow does look pretty cool.

i can also turn off the backlight as well. i like this laptop

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mulch

Psychedelic

i just added an m.2 samsung 850 evo 500 gig hd to the it. much better (here is a pick of the 500 gig ssd hd, barely larger than a thumb drive

(damnit, file still too large to upload. fix this plx NiƱa, still not large enough upload)

the finger is for scale

http://imgur.com/4MULETt