Mulch & Kita & M Series BMW & a Private Race Track

Discussion in 'onTopic' started by Mulch, 2 Oct 2014.

1. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

Well, this week has certainly been amazing, and today was an experience I hope I never forget.

As many of you know, the area we live has some extreme wealth, like, make 1%s jealous wealth.

Well, I had a gig for BMW at a brand new private Race track. Yes, a private race track. You buy land around the track, build your million dollar garage trackside with the party pad upstairs, spend $80,000 a year for membership on the 4.5 miles of private racetrack.

It is called the "Thermal Club" and it is about 20 minutes from our house, in the city of Thermal (opposite side of Coachella from us).

No, I am not making any of this up, its like a country club for the super rich where you have up to 22 configurations and several miles of race track instead of a golf course.

BMW had an event there this week and I was working it. Amazingly, I had something they wanted and I was offered a day on the track playing with the uber high powered BMW M series (specifically, the M3, M4, M5, and M6) in exchange for what I could offer.

Since this is a private club, and I have never driven any kind of high performance vehicle, I took them up on their generous offer.

To be fair, what I did for them was worth maybe a few hundred dollars. Several of us participants discussed it, and we guessed that if you were to pay for this experience, it would cost maybe between $5,000 and $15,000, maybe more.

Anyway, I wanted to capture my experience on video, so I borrowed a friends Go Pro. However, I couldn't figure out how I was going to mount it, so I asked Kita to come with in hopes they would let her ride shotgun with me and video it.

Not only did they let her ride with me, she got the full treatment of driving too, down to the beer and wine reception and BMW gift bag.

Needless to say, it was a damn unforgettable day for us both. We had so much adrenaline going on today it is like coming off hard drugs right now coming down. Kita passed the fuck out as soon as she got home.

we were able to do 4 events throughout the course of the day, 2 obstacle courses with cones (1 was a speed competition), 1 drag race competition with a limited finish box you must stop in or you were eliminated , and of course, a few laps on the racetrack.

Let's get this out of the way 1st because she will never let me hear the end of it if i dont admit it. Kita beat me in the drag race. Yes she did. Her times were better than mine in the obstacle course.

So we took turns holding the go pro, and we have about 2 hours of footage I need to edit down of our times on the track (sorry, lots of dashboard, no viewfinder on a go pro).

We each drove the M4, M5, and M6. Both of us really really liked the M6 (the M% had some bugs that annoyed us, the M4 was cool, but we wanted to drive the M3, which is basically a race car, where the M6 is a coup, we did get to ride in an M3 though, more on that later).

So much power, so much control in high speed turning that the laws of physics seem to bend with this car. Now I know why they are called the ultimate driving machines, because, holy shit the M series is some serious serious car. we both reached speeds of 115 on the track (the pace car prevented us from going faster, which we could have)

We are not car people by any means whatsoever, but we are now BMW people. Neither of us could believe the control, the power, and the joy of driving these things. Holy shit what it a fun experience. The brakes were meant to be stomped on and stopped dead. 0 to 60 in 4 seconds acceleration. Turns that defy gravity.

The G forces we pulled in the car were insane. The car has a motherfucking heads up display projected on the windshield ffs. And we got to go hog wild with them all day today. I will get some video of us driving when I edit it later.

After all 4 of our events, we had 1 more treat in store. We got to ride in an M3 with a professional driver for a hot lap around the track (2 hot laps actually). And we got even luckier. The pro driver was aguy named Adam Seaman. He is one of the best in the world at "drifting." He is amazing, look up some of his youtube videos to see how it looks outside of the car.

Wanna see how it looks in an M3 going up to 140 MPH with mulch and kita giggly wildly in the back seat?

I used my phone to shoot this as the go pro was out of batteries by the end of the day, but you can see how the g forces throw me around even buckled in. Some of the views out the side windows are a trip because we are in fact going sideways VERY fast. Enjoy the first video of our day at the track. I will edit some highlights of us driving later, but there was nothing we did that could top what this driver could do.

Oh yeah, and buy a BMW, we both recommend the M^ or M3, depending on the size of car you want. We cant afford one, but we can dream , right?

more videos to come!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mulch

Psychedelic

sorry Niña

i am poaching your vistors

i want 3 online at 1 time instead of 2

seriously, i just want to upload this fun stuff to 1 place and i am not on facebook and my family lurks on my forum, so the BMW updates will be at http://fetedinnerhorde.com/forums/index.php?topic=958 at my forum

there will be updates of both me and kita driving BMWs in a variety of sick situations via the go pro

i just have some editing to do before it is web ready

unfortunately, we had the go pro in a waterproof case, which really fucked up and muffled the audio. not sure what to do about that, whether to let you try to figure out what we are saying all muffled and garbled or play some music or something. its not my go pro so i didnt know that would be an issue at all. the in car adam seaman video was from my phone, and is a highlight, not only as far as content, but from a technical standpoint.

no matter what, the g forces throwing me and kita around the cars make the videos pretty much less than professional, but still, at least to us, really fun

i prolly should have used my phone to record everything as it has a viewfinder and can do 4k and i have spare batteries.... but, i went with the go pro in a waterproof housing and there are a ton of drawbacks despite the huge advantages go pro offers. it just wasnt the right tool in this situaltion, i really should have used my GL2 as even though it only did 480x720, the controls, stability, lens, and quality are far superior

although, to be honest, in the spirit of a true "deadhead taper," the live experience trumps all. the taping should always be a secondary concern AT BEST and should NEVER take away from the live experience, which was orgasmic today

so what i am saying is even if you think it sucks, we will love it cuz we were there

just make sure to check it out at the youtube video and at http://fetedinnerhorde.com/forums/index.php?topic=958 for more updates, photos, videos, etc

no offense, Niña, but i don't want to post this material and backstory twice

• Like Like x 3
  3. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

Hey, must be a lot of fun around!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

that looks incredibly fun!
    of course i would likely be too chicken to actually do it. id spend the entire time thinking about dan wheldon crashes and the like. i suppose i not only envy the experience, but the fact you two actually had the stones to do it :)

as far as other forums go, we have always been one big incestuous family hey :goofy:

(i vote 'no music' on the audio point fwiw)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

Awesome! Lain would of loved this too!

6. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Mulch had mentioned the offer he received at the beginning of the week. I was giving him shit for not jumping on it at first! I also was REALLY nervous about him doing it. Like, I was mentally trying to steady myself for the inevitable call "Mulch is in the hospital". Really uncomfortable about it, but ready to let him do it.

He asked me to come hold his gopro on the day he was racing. I was hesitant. I didn't trust him to drive stupidly in a race car, nor did I want to be stuck outside all day if I wasn't allowed to ride. I got 4 hours of sleep the night before, and seriously considered not only conveniently 'forgetting' to set my alarm, after I decided to set the alarm, I was pounding the snooze button. I got up without Mulch pestering me, and went. Not excited, and very unsure. We got to the track, he got to work. I stood around for a couple hours until his contact caught me and mentioned we both needed to check in with our driver's licenses. I looked at the lanyard we got. Identical. Releases we signed. Identical. It finally set it as I walked away with my ultra snazzy lanyard... we are both driving. I was grabbing at Mulch, quietly squealing in his ear. I AM DRIVING TOO. OMFG. I called my mom, cause they have friends with beemers. :p

We got the full experience! Absolutely out of this world. Never in my life would I have thought I would ever do something like this. I have never touched a high performance car, but have driven a few luxury cars (unimpressed. Nice, but not worth the cost imho). Driving a race car is so far down on my list of 'things I want to do some day', it wasn't even something I entertained or went after. Then it was just given to me. I never knew I wanted to try it so much!

Oh my gawd. I have seriously missed a calling in life. I got it. I understood high performance cars by the end of the very first class. I always thought they were a waste of money. That is because I only had experience with luxury cars. Still think they are a waste of money. But a beemer? For the prices they had listed on the show models? Worth every penny. In fact, dollar for dollar, worth FAR more than any luxury car that cost as much or more. FAR better value than some flashy Ferrari. I couldn't imagine what these cars were missing, what a Ferrari could possibly have that they didn't other than a name and status symbol. BMW M series seriously seem to be the true, pure, enthusiast race car. Stripped of upcharges for status, no limited release, accessible price points, they are THE high performance car for people who care about the ride more than how they look in their ride. EXACTLY where Mulch and I come from.

Oh, and the adrenaline! These are adrenaline producing MACHINES. Thirty six hours later, I am STILL riding the adrenaline high every time I think about what I just did. How I took corners on a race track 'slowly' (as the instructor said) at SIXTY MILES PER HOUR. Numbers were moot. They meant nothing. The ride was smooth, never for a moment felt out of control. I only knew how fast I was going when tires squealed or trees passed far too quickly. Neither of us ever looked at the speedometer. We didn't need to. We knew we were going way too fucking fast for what we were doing. If we were driving our own cars, we both agree we would have flipped them, fishtailed them out of control, died in a fiery awful mangled death. Never for a moment doing absurd shit in these cars did we feel like this would happen. The safety features are out of this world, aimed at letting you do stupid shit with these cars safely. The biggest thing was the traction, how the tires responded when we took hairpin turns at 20+ MPH. How the brakes could stop dead in 3 feet after a drag race where I must have been pushing close to 100 mph. How all the models went 0-60 in less than 5 seconds., and could come to a dead stop even faster. They had settings that allow you more wiggle room when racing, allowing you to fishtail the end a hair around the corners, or the keep traction the whole way. Your choice. Or turn it off all the way and drift like a motherfucking boss. All cars were automatic AND manual. Push of a button. Just like switching the car between a street ride and a race track beast.

I know I sound like a hardcore shill, but I am trying to express how thoroughly our minds were blown by what we drove. Never could I even conceived of feeling remotely in control or safe, doing stupid shit in any car. They were a dream to drive. An absolute pleasure. Better adrenaline than a rollercoaster, with just as much security. We felt we could trust these machines even more than a roller coaster, and now know they are where we will look for future adrenaline rushes. These BMWs were so eons beyond the cars we drive every day. You even drive them differently when on a track, and we had trouble breaking 'good driving' habits in order to properly drive a race car!

MUST HAVE A RACE CAR. ARGHHH!!

Loved it! A day I will never forget! Truly, one of, if not THE best, day of my life. Hands down. AMAZING.

Oh, and they had a press conference today. BMW is building a driving school next door the the track, with access to the track for students. We will be following the school for sure, and try to get into some classes so we can have another opportunity to drive these gorgeous pieces of technology and mechanics again. MUST DRIVE MORE FAST CARS. I have a natural knack for it too. *smiles slyly*. I soundly beat Mulch in every contest, and was in the top of my class, next to people who OWN high performance cars. Me, who has owned hoopteys her whole life, learned to drive in mom's minivan, never touched a high performance car. I really did miss a calling here.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Bitchy

Yay, Kita!! What fun!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. nina

Nerdy

@Mulch needs to buy you a beemer :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mulch

Psychedelic

as i told her, not only can we not afford the car, we can't afford the gas or even the insurance. the price of one used would likely be double what a sensible car for our price range would be

trust me, i would love to (although i wouldnt let her drive, cuz you know, shes a girl)

• Meh Meh x 1
    • Poo Poo x 1
  10. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

After the impending apocalypse, you'll be able to drive anything you can find. ;)

Of course, anything without Kevlar armor and good suspension will be useless when running down mobs of infected and/or undead trying to eat brains.

:bams:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Bitchy

Zombies don't drive? Another hopeless inconsistency in the Zombie Meme.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Bitchy

Govi: <whispering in Kita's ear> VW GTI

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mulch

Psychedelic

14. nina

Nerdy

...and a puppy too.

15. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Haha! OMG! How did you know I like hatchbacks and wagons?? That is the kind of car I want for everyday; fuel efficient, but trunk space to haul all my sculpture/ garden/ bike shit around. The ideal tool for me! The price point is very nice too. :) Anyways, race cars are toys, not tools. :p

It took me almost four years to talk him into a puppy, and he just pointed at Gizmo and said 'Where do I sign?' before I even saw the dog.

I wonder how long it will take him to get the beemer? I have a feeling I will just come home one day, and it will be parked in the driveway with Mulch shrugging his shoulders and saying 'I saw it at a used car lot, it looked like my kind of car!'

• Like Like x 1
  16. nina

Nerdy

well, there is always the age-old 'if you really loved me' strategy :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I already know the answer-- He doesn't. ;_;

He saw how happy those cars made me! I would have left that day driving a beemer if he did love me...

• Laugh Laugh x 2
  18. Mulch

Psychedelic

so a coworker told me today he got to ride the new tesla model 2 d yestarday

it can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, almost 25% faster "launch" than the bmw (legit, was all over the news today), and he explained how the guy driving flipped a switch, lifted his arms, and he took his first ride in a driverless car...

no matter how bad ass you think you are, a week later someone else gets to be more badass for a day

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Poo Poo x 1
  19. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Now Tesla only takes 2.8 seconds. They also announced a roadster, expected in 4 years, that will be even faster. Tough choice now... I will need to drive one to decide if I like it or the beemers better :p I hope to have the opportunity to as well, since the biggest battery factory ever/ in the world is going up locally. They will be making ALL the batteries for Teslas there. I imagine there should be a dealership and test lot nearby as well :D

Wonder how long until we see them on the racetracks? Lighter weight, faster, instant acceleration... might not even be allowed. It would change the pace of the races and how the cars are driven. I remember 5 years ago when people still laughed at electric cars and their lack of balls. It was pretty effin obvious that they would grow out of that as the tech got better. :) No roar that some people like (such as assholes who ADD things to motorcycles to make them growl and pop and crack your ears open, because modern engines give a whine at most) but a silent punch instead. I seem to recall that topic coming up when they were discussing the M series too, about having to add something so you can hear the engine, because it purrs. People like to hear the race car whine and rev, but high performance engines are very quiet. Anyways, I think they do the same to electric cars, for actual safety reasons; people can't hear them coming! And drivers also get a little spooked without reassuring verbal cues of acceleration. Push the pedal, and now you are doing 60 before you think to look at the speedometer. That happened with the beemers too, which don't accelerate as fast. So quiet, such buttery smooth acceleration as gears shift... didn't realize how fast I was going until I was already at 90. Crazy! Except those stupid fucking M5 beemers that kept dropping/ slipping the transmission on me EVERY TIME. Drove it maybe 5 times, and triple checked by the 3rd time. Yup, definitely in automatic before I hit the gas. If I hit the gas too hard, it dropped into first gear and stuck in manual (maybe a safety feature? IDFK). I drove more than one M5 too, and they ALL did that. That was what was being used on the race course, and there was a time to beat. I got close, and the only guy who beat it owned/ drove high performance cars regularly, and also knew how to drive stick, so it didn't happen to him. I never drove stick. :/ My best time was achieved on the last two laps when I eased into the gas, which took valuable time off. The M4 and the M6 didn't do that. I DEFINITELY would have noticed it on the M6 if it did that too, because it was being used for the drag races. I stood on the gas, then stood on the brake. :p Flawless, even with such stupid abuse all day, all week. :p

The M4 was more like a young racehorse; peppy and whippy, like butter once you got the speed up, but seemed to lack the brute/ big engine feel of the M6. I don't like feeling like I am driving a tank, which isn't fair to call an M6 because it drove so smooth. But it definitely felt like a 'heavier' engine, like when you drive a v4 vs a v6. M6 felt punchier, but hard to say because it also definitely felt heavier and thus needed that extra punch. M4 felt much lighter on it's wheels, didn't have as big of a punch in acceleration, but was just as smooth and maneuvered like a dream. Which would win in a drag race? I think it would be a tie, but M6 would win on a shorter run and M4 would win on a longer one. M6 would be faster right out the gate in the higher gears, but suffer in the mid to end as it switched to lower ones and saw less speed gains. M4 doesn't have as much meat behind it's high gears, but would make up what it lost out of the gate when it transitions to the lower gears and continues to gain speed, and doesn't level out in speed until it hit the lowest ones. M4 ultimately is better for keeping an even pace, while M6 will have all it's fun when there are a lot of speed changes. An M4 could whip around a corner more nimbly, losing less speed than the bigger M6, but the M6 would roar out of it and regain the lost momentum quickly. So part of it I think it how ones drives. I do prefer to keep an even pace and anticipate, and Mulch likes to use his brakes and accelerate. So, predictably, I preferred the M4, and he the M6.

Ever play the original Super Mario Cart? Gawd, I loved that game! I could win all day with toadstool or koopa, who had the slowest cars but took corners like bosses, requiring almost no loss in speed. You had to have a serious touch to get Peach or Yoshi around the corners, as they were the fastest accelerators but spun out very easily on corners and required a perfect touch. They were harder to maneuver, so you had to know the courses very well too. They were only usable on the easy courses or on the easy circuits unless you were really really good at the game. They would win hands down in any long stretch dash. DK and Bowser were similar, as they were the fastest overall, but took so long to get up to speed, you needed to have perfect handling to keep the pace. I think they were preferred by the best players. Toadstool and Koopa were not usable in the upper level circuits, however, because they were just too slow in top speed and some courses needed the speed they lacked. You needed to switch to Mario or Luigi, who didn't take corners as well but were faster. They are the M4, I think. The M3 is toadstool and koopa; you can drift them alllll day as you whip them around the most technical courses. But, if a circuit requires long stretches with a higher top speeds and not too many crazy turns, they will let you down. A good compromise is to get a bit more speed with a bit more weight at the cost of handling. M6 is Yoshi and Peach with it's fast punch out the gate, while M5 with it's inability to accelerate would be DK and Bowser; I have no idea how it's top speed was, as I never reached it. It handled pretty damn nicely on the hairpin obstacle course, however, but didn't have the control the M4 did. Didn't try the M3, but since that was being drifted, it obviously is the cornering king. :p

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Yeah!