order.

Discussion in 'news' started by Mars, 7 Apr 2011.

Tags:
Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Bulldick!

Bulldick! Rampaging
    Notamused

No, that is dumb... the line does not get drawn as you move along. The line is defined and then used to check whether someone has crossed it or not.

"Hey! let's see if *dumbass* is punishable!" is not a correct way to test the moderation boundaries, at all. Not for MARS, not for any of the gV members.

If we do not define the line then I would expect MARS to come back and recognize that moderation will be done as it see fit, which is a valid moderation style.

:hug:

2. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Fine, it was only an example.
    At what point does a "pot-shot" turn into a "relentless personal attack"? How many exchanges in the diatribe does it take before action is taken? Will the instigator alone be punished or will all members who pile into the fray be sanctioned as well?

3. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

I don't think Mars is saying you can't poke ....I think Mars is saying you can not go from thread to thread poking just because you do not like the member posting to that thread or creating a thread and you can not derail a thread just to stalk that member across the forum in other nodes. I could be wrong.

4. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Has it not occurred to Mars that perhaps we, on the whole, don't want moderation? At least beyond moderating the already well accepted illegal and horrific types of posts?

Perhaps the lack of enthusiasm for crafting a code of conduct or populating the moderator nodes comes from a desire for a forum without unnecessary limitations?

The individual I see leading the charge to keep posts in the proper place is Mars. And a very small minority agree with Mars. But from what I can see, not the community as a whole.

Mars seems to find the fighting here to be detrimental. Odd that Mars reports 700 posts since she last checked. That is not a dead forum. People are still signing up despite this supposed crisis. I see no evidence at all that gV is dead or dying due to content. There is a huge divide between some members here. It is obvious that it is going to take a while to run it's course. So what?

I say get rid of the vague language about harassment and griefing in the existing code of conduct and clarify the spam to include obvious disruptive repetition, put something in there about obvious excessive alt creation and make it clear that the "report" button is to be used only for that and the illegal etc posts. I suspect the community will be happy (again, on the whole) and Mars won't have a large tedious job patrolling all of the posts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. colleen Criss

Cheerful

Has it occurred to all of you that WE are not the only members to consider here? Forum growth happens by enticing new members to join. NOT all of the net as shared *history* with other members of this forum. They are not going to care about it and they are not going to hang around in the *wild west*.

This forum may or may not have been created because it was said *hey don't like the rules here , go make your own* BUT the entire net nor all of SL was involved in it and do not care. If you just want a bitch board make a wall and do that it does not have to span this whole forum , it does not have to be brought to this forum from other forums.

Maybe Tarzan is onto something when he says did you have it any better on any other forum then you have had it here? Think about that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

Eh?
    We? All of you?
    I thougth the members are members? And new members are also members. There are others ? Who do you mean with other members as WE are not the only members?

Ok. I am lost.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Again, at what point do these instances turn into violations. How many threads am I allowed to follow a person around in and take pot-shots at their inane meanderings before they get butthurt enough to antagonize Mars through an unending series of Reports into deleing all my posts or banning me? For some here that would be like about 2 posts. Mainly because they can't let go of past issues and will drag the very first instance of where "you trolled me back in 2006!!! and are a mean and hateful troll everywhere on the webz!!1"

• Like Like x 3
  8. colleen Criss

Cheerful

I'm guessing ..... prolly none if they hit the report function.

9. colleen Criss

Cheerful

When I say WE I mean all member who are currently registered here at gV.

10. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

And that ability should be governed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. colleen Criss

Cheerful

That is , by the planets I assume.

12. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Yes, as it is apparent that some are OCD here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. colleen Criss

Cheerful

We are in admin Derek, not the place for that it is off topic.

14. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

I see two parts to this.

First, there are people here who aren't contributing to the process of decision making. We can't guess their desires, and if they won't make themselves heard, we can't do anything to reflect their desires.

Second, there are the potential future members. I ask you: do we want to make gV a place we want to belong, or do we want to make it as enticing as possible for new members? Perhaps if we are happy, we will attract others who are also happy?

Nina,

One other thought. It's obvious that Mars needs a section of the forum that is controlled. I suggest the idea of "ownership." Anything posted in the gotVirtual forum tree is owned by the community, and is off limits to moderation, excepting the very rare case of illegal, horrific, etc, as mentioned before.

Anything in the Admin forum tree should be owned by Mars and subject to Mars whims without any explanation required. Make this distinction clear, and I think that most legitimate complaints about thread deletion are taken care of.

Finally, I would move Feedback from the Admin tree to the gotVirtual tree. The community should own that, not the Mars.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Was it necessary for you to make this post? What purpose does it serve? It is not about the OP or is adding anything to the discussion. I merely answered your question concerning the ability to make Reports and gave my rationale for the answer. It in no way is a contravention of the guidelines outlined by Mars. Yours however, is.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

I can totally see where you are coming from with this. Totally.

17. colleen Criss

Cheerful

Yes . I offered a thought because it has been stated and I have been guilty myself of posting things in the wrong spot. It was merely a *check up* . I won't do it again. It wont be my posts that get pulled for derailing this (order.) thread by Mars.

18. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

Derail is such a dirty word. We need to have terms for at least three different types of derail (probably more, but let's start small). Kind of like how the Chinese have 1000 words for snow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. New Me

New Me Envoy's research assistant...
    Balanced

Oh, hell, you know that probably 60 of them were reported by Colleen.

• Like Like x 2
  20. New Me

New Me Envoy's research assistant...
    Balanced

Mars forgot to append "hey".

• Laugh Laugh x 1
Topic Status:
Read-only.