order.

Discussion in 'news' started by Mars, 7 Apr 2011.

Tags:
Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. margaret mfume

margaret mfume g Village agitator

Since I can understand the overwhelming nature of being hit with 700 new posts and 62 reported posts, may I suggest an a bit of analysis of the composition of those reporting? Two situations come to mind: if those reporting are a varied group, it would appear to be a forum wide issue and the whole community might be best involved. On the other hand. if the offended are a select group, (or maybe only one or two perhaps?) maybe a request that they take a breather is in order, at least until you have time to access the situation and are able to respond in a measured fashion.

just my two pennies

good luck to you, be well

• Like Like x 10
  2. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

To Mars.

On reading your op this morning, I sensed a fair bit of frustration and some anger. Understandably. Single handedly attempting to admin a forum like this, particularly as it has been in the last couple of weeks disputatious and growing beyond the relatively small forum it was some months ago, can not by any means be an easy task.

I sense that some of that anger and frustration has to do with the fact that recently the community was unable to reach any kind of consensus concerning community mods, which would (at least in theory) lighten the load on you. In some ways, I read the recent post deletions as being motivated more by frustration and perhaps a shot across the bows of the membership, than an actual disinterested enforcement of forum or community rules

The general feeling seemed to be that the community did not want mods from within the community mostly because of trust issues in that this forum is definitely split into camps at this point. That is a valid concern, but it doesn't help you any. I would however submit that there may be other reasons too. Such as your anonymity. I raised this issue back when this forum got started and pointed out that anonymity is a double edged sword. It meant a clean slate, at least as far as moderation was concerned. But it also made it very unlikely that anyone would put themselves forward as a candidate for mod, because in my opinion only a fool would volunteer to mod a board for an owner who remained anonymous.

So at this point you remain the sole arbiter of this forum but the workload is starting to tell. Aside from shutting the place down and walking away, the only viable solution (because I see no reason for the tumult to die down, or the forum to not continue to grow) is to reopen the discussion about additional mods.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I don't see it as a valid concern because it was discussed that mods change every three months.

I don't see that. It makes no difference to alot of people.
    -Mods read the forum Terms of Service.
    -Mods read the directions on how to do their job.
    -Mods log in and check the sections of the forum they are assigned to check and (following the forum rules) submit posts for review, send out warnings and flag things in the wrong section.

I am a volunteer for an online volunteer organization. Organizations post what free online work they want done and we volunteer to do it. We never meet anyone from the organization. I've conducted preliminary interviews, overseen skype conferences and processed event applications for anonymous owners. It's a non-issue.
    Agreed. We need a thread for mod manifestos to be posted.

And I don't think the owner needs to abandon most of their original plan.

4. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Proof? Any whatsoever?

5. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

We spent weeks discussing the anonymous owner bit in the beginning, and the general consensus was that the owner remaining anonymous was a non-issue, and a large portion felt it was better that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

Indeed we did. But that was then. Things have developed somewhat since.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

In what way? With more members there are more folks available to mod.

8. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I am not prepared to discuss this subject in this thread, My post was directed at Mars. I suggested that the question of community mods be revisited. That may also encompass discussion of Mar's anonymity. If Mars does indeed take my suggestion then Mars will start another thread. Until that happens (or does not happen,) the topic is moot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

With more members, the consensus you claimed existed before could have, and likely would have, shifted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

not at all. Anyone can start a thread to discuss it at anytime.

11. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Some people need to be mods. In their own minds.
    For the prestige and power that they associate with the office, for the most part.
    Packaged in altruistic calls for improved administration, the appeals that I like best remind me of a Joshua Nightshade quit episode at SLU; so sincere, elements of truth and popular misconceptions woven together, even a bit of self criticism tossed in like a few bread crumbs.
    But, you know it's all a fraud.
    gotVirtual doesn't need mods. In consultation with the general membership, Mars and the planets are doing a stellar job of running this forum. They always have.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pep

Pep Eats Mars for breakfast

Ah, well that would be the final word then, I suppose.

Pep (wants a thread for Mods Manifestos so he can post his.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Don't start the snark here Pep.

14. Sole Demina

Sole Demina Proud Redhead

To me, the Forum was just fine the way it was. A little more sense of responsibility (or a minimum level of fair-play and politeness *)from some posters would have made changes unnecessary to be enforced.
    * fair-play and politeness are NOT synonymous of hypocrisy.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Are you somehow authorized to tell anyone that here?
    If not, then stop denigrating another member in this thread, or you will be reported...per the O.P.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pep

I thought you already did?

Pep (Or did you actually mean what you said?)

PS As VVI has pointed out, if you FEEL that I have breached the forum's code of conduct by posting in agreement with you, you are at liberty to waste the time of Mars by reporting my post to her . . . but in the meantime STFU with the impotent commands.

PPS Assuming you haven't been stealth promoted into Moderator status, that is; well, that's how it is with police states - you only work out who the official snitches are after you have been dragged out of bed and thrown into the back of a lorry in the middle of the night.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Passing over GrayE's opinion and posting snarky statements that my opinion is the last word is not agreeing with me.

18. Pep

GrayE? Who is that? What opinion?

Pep (As far as "snarky" statements are concerned, I refuse to be in any way responsible for your personal [mis]interpretation of the words I type.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Liona Clio

Liona Clio Poetry in Motion
    Benevolent

A lack of a sense of humor is the root cause of most of the issues here.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

And the ones not caused by that are caused by people taking themselves too seriously.

• Like Like x 6
Topic Status:
Read-only.