our rights - part II

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Mars, 22 Dec 2010.

Tags:
Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Mars

Mars MCP
    vbulletin4

in order for gV to move forward with our colonisation, we must resolve the outstanding issues of rights and responsibilities. it was our hope that this would be subjected to the scrutiny of the community; that during the debate people would step forward, would stand up and be counted, that leaders would emerge. unfortunately, that has not yet happened, so the MCP will push this forward on the communities behalf.
    using the limited discussion provided to the MCP, in conjunction with its learned data, the following is offered as a proposed Declaration of Rights. this is the time to ask ourselves, 'should there be any exceptions?' think carefully about that.

NOTE: the declaration can be amended by the community as needed, either now or in the future.
    if there is insufficient interest in this thread, community consent will be considered granted and this declaration will be put into effect.

======================================================================

prelude: insofar as rights, 'inhabitant' refers to a legitimate, established individual. an individual need not establish themselves at gV to qualify as legitimate. any individual known to the community at large, including the other communities within the larger social circle, are considered a 'legitimate and established individual'.

all inhabitants of gotVirtual are guaranteed the following rights:

the right to fair administration
    the administration will hold no person to less account than others. the application of rules is equal and objective. there is no privileged class.

the right to appeal
    in the event that an inhabitant is subjected to quarantine or scrubbed, they will be afforded an opportunity to appeal to the community for relief.

the right to dissent
    the administration will not curtail ones right to dissent, provided the dissent is voiced in a manner that is not in violation of the gV Community Standards. inhabitants shall be free to disagree or hold an unpopular opinion without fear of admin reprisal.

the right to privacy
    the administration shall not needlessly alter an inhabitants privacy preferences, share ones private profile information, nor make ones privacy preferences known. unless specifically addressed to them, the administration will not read any inhabitants Private Conversations nor cause said conversations to become known. the administration will not use an inhabitants email address for any purposes other than user registrations, occasional admin mailouts, or uses within the control of the inhabitant themselves, such as those found in the user control panel. the administration will not share a users IP address unless it is necessary due to severe or systematic violation of the Community Standards or due to real world law.

updated by Mars, 26.dec.10

2. Briana

Briana Vibrating erver closer to 4th Density
    Woot

So what path does someone have to stop harassment from individual forum users that choose to constantly follow, flame, and troll threads of people they dislike?

3. Briana

Woot

I see "rights", but NO "protections".

Who cares for rights with no protections? That is like having a house with window cutouts but yet no windows in place to protect the interior from the elements, so how much protection will the occupants have from bad weather?

4. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

And who judges whether someone is being stalked? Suppose someone (A) posted many things which someone else (B) find objectionable. And does. At what point does B have to stop responding, for fear of being accused of harassment? At what point is it harassment, and how is that judged?

5. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

i think 'rights' are protections from the admin and mods, while 'responsibilities' would outline 'the rules'

• Like Like x 3
  6. Briana

Woot

I think it is fairly obvious except to people who love to operate in gray areas. It has been done many times on forums. I really do not play with this area of "greyness", the moment it happens, i leave. Leck did it to me on SC2, which is why i left so soon, and yet, me being the first to leave and blaming him was literally just a prediction of the future of that forum and how things were to go

All i care about is that when and if it happens, that one can have it stopped. If i find the same familiar heinous-anus people in my thread starting fights with me every time when they could have just as easily moved on, then i am going to call that stalking and want something done about it.

7. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

OK, fair enough. But I've been accused to stalking Lias here, for example. Have I been? Should I modify my behaviour because she might make stalking accusations in the future?

8. nina

Nerdy

sure didnt take long to go completely off-topic :mad:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Wups. Nevermind then.

I wonder if Mars will elaborate on, "the right to representation"

10. Briana

Woot

Well, i think there has to be some sort of judgment call made by the admin based on what is evidenced

11. Briana

Woot

ok sorry.

12. nina

Nerdy

bri, this thread is about 'rights'. it is about protections from the admin, not protections from forum members.
    these are not rules for inhabitants, they are rules for the admin.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Sounds good.

Woah, what's this "inhabitant quarantined or scrubbed"? This subject needs it's own thread to be spelled out. We don't need this being played out arbitrarily. And appealing to a mob to stay in the forum is just feeding the Christians to the Lions in front of an audience for blood thirsty fun. That is quite a nasty way to go down in flames on a forum. You should re-think this forum drama pit idea.

Sounds good. And I have seen this be facet here so far. I hope it continues this way.

Excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Briana

Woot

Well you of all people know this is required.

That is what I am waiting for.

No protection for forum members, then no briana in the forum, a fairly solid theme i have maintained all my SL forum life, and am not wavering on that now.

15. nina

Nerdy

16. Briana

Woot

yea, the derailed candy bar thread.

Uh, yea, right.... ok.

17. nina

Nerdy

irony hey

18. Briana

Woot

19. Briana

Woot

20. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

What is the defined group known as the "community at large"?

Topic Status:
Read-only.