our rights - part II

Discussion in 'gV governance' started by Mars, 22 Dec 2010.

Tags:
Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Mars communication is good. We can begin with it, solid foundation.
    Forum members can amend if ever need to. Excellent!
    Thanks.
    Mars communicates: "in the event that an inhabitant is subjected to..."
    Not declare there will be cornfields, abuse, mindfucking while drunk, etc.
    Please, make many page debate for this if you must.
    But, is housekeeping proviso only, not announcement of course changing.
    Some want entire thread for discussing this. :)
    Please, inform your therapist, too.

"The right to representation" is blank.
    Maybe interstellar interference cut off.
    We will see.

2. Briana

Briana Vibrating erver closer to 4th Density
    Woot

Second Life for now.

Other communities as they are born and become viable. Bluemars failed to do that.

3. Charlemagne Allen

Charlemagne Allen The Contessa

Apparently, you can go topless in Blue Mars. It's just pretty much a difficult hack to pull off....

:(

4. Jez

Jez Bella!
    Alienated

I don't see anything said about IP addresses. Shouldn't an IP address be kept private? What about alts? Should the presence of alts be revealed? Or should it be considered private information?

• Like Like x 1
  5. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

good catch. ip addresses and alts are definitely something that should be talked about. i cant think of a good reason to share somebodies ip address, im not so sure if the alt thing is cut & dry though. in most cases i would think alts should be kept private, but are there exceptions?

also, while the op does touch on 'privacy preferences', there is nothing said about 'privacy status'. how do we feel about an admin saying things that make it clear to everybody that X is online right now when X browses invisible?

• Like Like x 1
  6. nina

Nerdy

assuming rules come into being, there will need to be some sort of consequence for violating those rules. mars mentioned 'quarantining and scrubbing' in his 'introduction to gV' thread in the context of phobos and deimos and how they could react to 'virii'. we know of one account that has already been scrubbed, so this isnt exactly a new revelation.
    'opportunity to appeal to the community' could mean many things, not necessarily appealing to a mob. it could mean a single post asking for forgiveness, it could mean an entire thread to discuss the merits of the discipline, it could even mean an appeal judged by a panel of peers. the mechanics arent specified.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Sounds like you want to put someone in a cage in the town square and allow everyone to poke them with a stick until they beg for mercy or refuse to participate and walk away from their account. If they do choose to humiliate themselves and beg for mercy, the mob will just satisfy their bloodthirst and kick them out of the forum anyway.

By now it is apparent that there is not just one community but a bunch of agenda camps all under one roof. Unless you can devise a santitized environment for this "peer" process to take place in - it will just be the standard mob rule using gray areas in a poorly devised process to harass.

8. Clancy

Diggingit

Tarzan's agenda is love from loincloth to soul. :hug:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

I didn't read nina's post as advocating any particular tactic.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Not advocating so much as devising a system that can be easily manipulated by the masses.

11. Bulldick!

Bulldick! Rampaging
    Notamused

Damned if you do, damned if you do not.

If we, as a community, want to be able to discipline members for whatever reasons we need a a way to do so. My understanding of what MARS has stated is that there is a chance that the MCP will execute the actions leaving recourse for the individual affected and the community at large to override the decision.

If each time we talk about a community decision we start implying mob rule then we are doom to fail from the beginning.

:hug:

• Like Like x 6
  12. Clancy

Diggingit

You describing democracy. :)
    What alternative can better than masses deciding how their destiny goes?
    You part of masses, too.
    There is word for place where your own ideas never be challenged by others: blog.
    Forum different animal.

• Like Like x 2
  13. nina

Nerdy

me? prinţesă nina?

there are definitely an assortment of camps and multiple agendas at play. thats just life. maybe the right to representation will take that into account. in any case, this isnt for me to devise, this is something for us to devise. i dont necessarily think it needs to be done now, but yes we do need to devise something sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nina

Nerdy

suggested ammendment to take into account issues raised tonight:

the right to privacy
    the administration shall not needlessly alter an inhabitants privacy preferences, share ones private profile information, nor make ones privacy preferences known. unless specifically addressed to them, the administration will not read any inhabitants Private Conversations or cause said conversations to become known. the administration will not use an inhabitants email address for any purposes other than user registrations, occasional admin mailouts, or uses within the control of the inhabitant themselves, such as those found in the user control panel. the administration will not share a users IP address unless [something about extenuating circumstances].

would it be fair to say that alts should be kept private, with the provision that they are not used to troll, stalk, or harass? and if an alt is used for nefarious purposes they waive their right to privacy?

• Like Like x 6
  15. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

No. The system has to have some sophistications in it or its just a mob stoning the accused to death or a lynch mob chasing them out of town. Law & Order is devised of checks and balances - intricate wording and give and take. Nothing like that exists here yet.

You won't be discipling me - not in all of this gray area that exists now. When SCII sycophants can come here, form a mob and create some past crimes from 6 months ago on another forum as basis to delete someone's account here - then the community discipline model you want to adopt does not work (to put it mildly) and will lead to the implosion of the entire board.

Exactly. Admin account issues are absolutely none of your business. And my account status will not be used to feed internet bloodlust.

16. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I don't play 'internet survivor' - where you have to get enough allies to survive some vote wrought with personal agendas. There is absolutely nothing in place to make it about anything more than the pile-on I hope an innovative resolution system can be put in place here though.

17. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Ah, democracy.

I'm not a fan of having panels of peers or whatever evaluating a person's privilege to stay. I would rather have clear cut rules with clear cut consequences. For example, post dead people, get banned and have the posts deleted.

Yes, this means thinking it through in advance, instead of reacting to it. Reaction is one aspect which has got SCII where it is today.

I do think that the rules should be allowed to evolve, however. But not to retroactively punish someone.

So if person A does activity X, and everyone is outraged but it's not a "crime" in the rules, then the rules can be amended so that if after that, person B does activity X, they are punished accordingly.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Please stop with the agenda ridden name calling in a governance thread. It's purely disruptive.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

No.

Thank you.

Back to the topic: Perhaps two think tanks can be formed to work on systems and then they come together and merge the best parts of what they developed.

20. You're doing it again. That's all I'll say. (._.)

Topic Status:
Read-only.