petable (turtles) is leaving sl :(

Discussion in 'theGrid' started by nina, 8 Aug 2011.

1. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

aww. i loved the turtles :(

http://www.mypetable.com/blog/2011/08/07/petable-is-closing-kind-of/

i think they may be a bit disingenuous with their reasons for pulling up stakes. the turtles have been decreasing in popularity since the amaretto horses came about, and pettable then turned most of their attention to 'rovees' (a new breedable), which were never very popular. i think the real reason they are leaving is the popularity of meeroos :(

2. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Hail the petable turtle, its service shall never be forgotten, especially in certain sims where a few sad residents planted rows of corn.

3. nina

Nerdy

ive set out my best producing turtle pen again in a race for points to collect the last remaining point specials :)

4. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Developers aren't marketing people. They don't understand advertising budgets and special events are the only thing that will keep them relevant to a constantly changing audience.

[​IMG]

Maybe they will move to Avinations where their operations overhead will be less than half of what it was in Second Life.

5. nina

Nerdy

their sl overhead was by choice, and is limited to the cost of their petable island.they could easily showcase the products on 1/4 sim. not too sure what the non-sl overhead is, such as the db and webhosting needed to keep the turtles running, but its safe to put the number well below the cost of the island.
    their real problems started when they ignored the turtlers, took them for granted, and started spending so much time building/marketing those useless rovees.
    personally, i always wondered why they didnt use their website for something more productive. it could have been very engaging if it had interfaces for trading/selling/bidding, tracking bloodlines, etc. instead it remained a simple blog with a freebie bbs that they never tried to use.

• Like Like x 2