please...

Discussion in 'news' started by Mars, 18 Mar 2011.

Tags:
Topic Status:
Read-only.
  1. Mars

Mars MCP
    vbulletin4

just a note regarding the general tone of gV...

please keep the flaming and aggression limited to node area17. this node was specifically written out as an outlet for potentially volatile discussion.
    the remaining nodes are intended to foster constructive, on-topic discourse. while it is expected that a worldEvents topic, for example, might generate debate, it is not acceptable for said debate to degenerate into name-calling, flaming, troll-baiting, demonisation, or other such behaviour. if you wish to initiate a thread with those types of elements as a feature, post your thread in the node area17.

it is entirely possible that the node nomenclature is not sufficiently descriptive, and the MCP has queued it for review.

//////////////////////////////////////
    vigorous debate of this posting is encouraged, but under no circumstances should the thread be derailed or used as a venue to deride one another.
    let us make this more clear: the MCP will not, under any possible circumstances, tolerate off-topic commentary or ad hominem exchanges within the threads it initiates.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

3. Jez

Jez Bella!
    Alienated

I totally missed some drama. I can just tell :headspin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dale Innis

Dale Innis Sugarbear

I admit I had n0 idea that's what "Area 17" meant. Probably I am not paying enough attention. :) I often don't notice what node a given discussion is under (since I always use the "What's New?" view). I hope I have not accidentally burst into flame anywhere else. :D

• Like Like x 4
  5. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

Why don't you, Mars, just move the offending drama into area17?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pep

Pep Eats Mars for breakfast

Or maybe just have two areas.

Pep (Drama and Boring.)

• Like Like x 3
  7. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Do you hover?

[​IMG]

I have a bit of a habit of posting stuff that should probably go in Area 17 in mature-NSFW because of the potential for adult language and images being used in a volatile thread. Take It Outside for example. That should be in Area 17. There's an overlap of those two sections in my mind. I tend to start threads in mature-NSFW so I don't have to worry about the section rating and I can just post whatever I want knowing in all likelihood I'll get frisky and post something Adult at some point. If I "live" in the NSFW sections of 18+ forums then I don't have to check myself and the section all the time. That's why you'll see me create innocuous little threads in the mature-NSFW section. That's more about my posting style than the thread itself. Maybe Area 17 should have an NSFW tag too. I'd be all for that. I'm also all for riding the planetary move from one section to another.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

I'm in full agreement with both poster #4 and #5. Having to check my "tone", depending on which thread I'm in is both artificial and detrimental to any sense of 'community', imho. Be who you are, never mind which thread you happen to be posting to at the time. That's life...even (or perhaps especially) forum life.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dale Innis

Dale Innis Sugarbear

I didn't actually mean to say that I'm against having different expectations in different parts of the forum. :) I was just offering a datapoint that this one particular user here isn't very aware of the sections.

(An' Lee, I don't hover in the menu that you showed because I never see the menu that you showed. 99% of my interaction with gV is either the "What's New?" screen, or viewing a single thread. 99.9%, even...)

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

I hear ya. Took me a while before I saw that stuff myself. Thought maybe a screen shot might alert others who've missed the section descriptions too. Might be worth including a forum section breakdown in a welcome thread with the poster group levels and the thing about needing 3 posts, 10 "likes" and a 30 minute refresh so we can all just shoot the link to new members.

11. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

I have no problem quarantining myself to NSFW sections of the forum like Area 17 and mature-NSFW nor riding the move to those sections when I forget myself and post NSFW outside NSFW.

I'm using "NSFW" in this case to mean both "not safe for work" and "not safe; forum whoring (in progress)." I do get that not everybody plays in forums the same way. I don't like to run roughshod over genteel or gentle sensibilities and posters who didn't sign up for rough and tumble forum whoring.

gV is a forum made up of a fair number of banned, warned, protesting or sick-of-the-status-quo renegades and refugees from other forums, some of whom still have an axe to grind. That membership is definitely influencing the type of forum gV is; who joins, who posts and how they post and how the community responds. (We're the real Mos Eisley forum in my opinion.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

Same here, and this is approximately what it looks like to me as I'm clicking open a thread.

[​IMG]

13. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

I also think there is something to the idea of giving people the ability to block certain subforums if that's possible. I would not use it myself, but it might help the bistro bunch and anyone else who would like to customize their gV forum experience. I'm perfectly happy to be quarantined with the rest of the hooligans.

14. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Alienated

I suggest Area 17 be renamed to "the Fight Club" with the usual rules.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Hey, if they're puttin' you in with us, they're gonna have to add additional guards to keep the rest of us under suicide watch...taser

• Like Like x 1
  16. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

17. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

See everyone? I told you she only invited me here to make sure she was afforded proper recognition and eligibility for sainthood!

• Like Like x 1
  18. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

<edited and moved because I just remembered which thread and section I was in>

Any further comment I'll be sure to take outside.

@ Mars: [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darrius Gothly

Darrius Gothly Inhabitant

Only after consuming various foods that produce certain gastro-intestinal ... umm ... complications.

20. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

The NSFW threads on gV are the only sections I can access when on the companies network, due to our very strict (whahaha) policies and amazingly clever network-filter!
    So I am (most of the time) automatically blocked from the bistro and have to join the bar, fine with me!:envoy:

• Like Like x 5
Topic Status:
Read-only.