Post Up your Favorite Scents!!

Discussion in 'onTopic' started by Kita, 1 Oct 2015.

1. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I go through little cycles of things that catch my interest, and perfumes have been one of those little thing for over a year now. It started as a quest to find a replacement for my 'smell', as I had been wearing the exact same perfume for about 8 years. Time for a change, honestly!

I call this 'scents' because I want to hear about candles and such people like too :) I was APPALLED that my male jock of a cousin admitted to loving those sweet vanilla candles, and another meathead family friend agreed! Sweet candles and scents make me gag. I like 'guy' candles. Ones that smell like campfires, cedarwood, and spiced without the sweet. I am very picky about candles and scents! I don't know how people can stand the chemical sweet smell of the 'gourmand' (sweet food scented) candles and room fresheners and perfumes. Yuck! That's just me though, I am weird. Most people love those kinds. Good for me, because I find all the cedarwood and nature-y scented ones on the clearance rack then :D

In terms of perfume, I can't find the 'right' one. I still honestly really like the one I wore for 8 years, I just got tired of it. It works so well on my skin, and is so perfect for my personality, I think. I hate it on anyone else I smell it on, oddly. When I read the scent notes of it recently, I realized it was a scent that, if I saw the notes first, I never would have bothered to even try on. It isn't what I normally like. But, like 'spring' colors, it apparently is just what matches with me physically, regardless of my personal taste. (I DESPISE spring and summer colors, or any bright colors. My wardrobe is black, browns, dark blues, greys, etc. All winter and fall colors. I am wearing black mittens and hat, navy t-shirt, gunmetal shoes and jacket, and dark denim jeans today, for example.)

Does anyone else find this, that some scents smell good on you, or other people just really like it on you, even though it isn't something you like?

Anyways, my old scent was 'Burberry London Woman'. I think I also like the regular classic 'Burberry London' too, and probably will get that at some point. I have a collection of scents now, you see, not just the one bottle of an old standby and a collection of cheap body sprays for when I go to work out.

Lately, I have found the art of mixing more basic scents together to get what I am actually looking for. My first experiment with it has been with Vetiver. That is really hard for a woman to wear. When it is cheap Vetiver, like 95% of what is used, it is what gives men's cologne and body sprays that 'sporty' smell, as I call it. It smells like a football locker room. The REAL stuff is pretty great, and I would burn a candle of it. But, on my skin it is super duper strong and in-your-face. When in a cologne, you can't smell much else on me, and it smells all wrong. So, I found a little roll-on of it that has been softened with some more woody scents. I combine the smallest amount with some of my more whispy and weak girly scents, and it really helps to bring them out and add this kind of 'spicy green' quality to them. It's pretty neat! It actually has this ability to overpower the sweet and powdery notes that I hate, while complimenting florals and woods I like. It easily clashes with spice, so I have to be careful with what I couple with it. I think I might play with mixing a bit more, and add something a little more universally usable, like a woody scent, to my collection.

This year I have been ordering tons of little sample bottles to try stuff out that I cannot find locally. Most are a miss, even though the notes in them are stuff I like. It is mostly a problem with the 'gendering' of all commercial scents. Female scents always throw in either sweet or powdery, both which I despise. A whiff of powdery I cannot stand, and it turns super strong on my acidic skin. And the slightest amount of sweet turns to candy on my skin, and also overpowers. Men's scents LOVE to use cheap vetiver, which smells really wrong on me, like I am wearing someone else's clothes. Clashes. They also can be very, very strong and in-your-face. I like wearing scents, but I am not one of those people who are like Pig-Pen with their scent, leaving a cloud of it everywhere they go. I keep it subtle, you gotta get close to smell me. :) Men's cologne is very often branded as being for type-A, powerful, aggressive men, and the scent reflects that. They tend to overpower and punch people in the face, especially me as a woman whose skin can really make some scents pop.

So, I have been seeking out things meant to be gender-neutral, and have been MUCH happier. They aren't usually aggressive, but still have those 'manly' scents I love, like woody, without the 'girly' stuff I hate, like sweet. I have tried a few Tokyo Milk scents, and while I like them, they have very low 'silage' (how long it lasts on your skin before fading). If it fades after 2 hours, why bother? I don't want to drench myself either. I also tried out CB's I Hate Perfume line. There are a number of them I like, and like Tokyo Milk, have very poor silage. Unlike Tokyo Milk, it is very expensive too, hardly worth the cost if I am only getting like 3 hours from it. I have a list of stuff to keep my eye out for and try next too.

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab is my next stop. I have heard nothing but good things about them... but they are also expensive for samples, and not available in any stores to try.

I liked a number of the Atelier scents, but didn't just love any of them. They are all missing something, but most don't annoy me with something. Once I get into mixing, these will be great for adding in what I feel is missing. :) They are all pretty focused scents, amost built around one core scent and have a few more aded to compliment them. Therefore, those that had something I didn't like were either tolerable because it was very subtle and in the background, or immediately obvious because it was the focus. One called 'Vanille Insensee' was a surprise favorite, because I am not a vanilla fan. Vanilla was just used to tie together really nice woody and subtle spicy scents. All of the citrus ones seriously smelled like I had literally squirted fresh citrus oil on myself. I don't like citrus enough to wear that, but they are very natural and clearly defined scents.

One thing I REALLY am getting annoyed with is finding something that sounds perfect, only to find out it was discontinued. Perfumers are mostly designer brands these days, and therefore, they don't treat scents as timeless. They are fashion, something constantly needing to be changed. They will also reformulate entirely too often for this same reason. It can be hard to keep up with it, and frustrating. One scent I REALLY want to get my hands on, but never will, is Dior Midnight Poison. There are tons of fakes out there, as well as surplus reformulations that were released and very unpopular. I have liked many Dior scents, and they have been so close to perfect, but there is always something not quite right. All of the Poisons are good, but not right. I still don't own any Dior, but may pick up Addict. It is the closest one I have been able to sample, but I don't remember what made me not love it. Probably a touch of sweet or powder or it is too busy. All common things I hate with designer scents.

Bvlgari is the same for me as Dior. So close, but always something that ruins it. I REALLY like one of the men's ones. It is aggressive and powerful, but not in an obnoxious way. I loved it for networking and social events when I need to feel confident. It is called Man in Black. I tried something very similar first, called 'Spice Bomb' by Viktor and Rolf, but like many others, it wasn't quite right. It was TOO much, TOO aggressive and spicy. Man in Black is aggressive, but more of a cool kind, not LOOKIT ME kind. I love the spice, but it needs to be kept in check to not be obnoxious. My skin really helps take the edge off of that scent too, softening it a bit, making it smell like a woman's power scent instead of a men's scent. I like the 'Omnia' woman's scents, but each one ruins it with either sweet or powdery added in.

I also really like Tom Ford scents, but they are very expensive and hard to find. There are a handful that are easy to find, but even the samples are too expensive to be ordering just to try. I think Dillard's or something had a counter with a bunch of his stuff, I need to go try them again when I have some money again. :p As of right now, on my wishlist is 'Black Orchid'. I kept going back and forth between this one and 'Velvet Orchid'. After finishing my little samples, I settled on the Black Orchid. It is very close to what I am looking for, but honestly is quite spicy and more of an evening scent than everyday. It also is still sweet, which is why I was indecisive about it, but I found the sweetness to fade after about and hour, then I really liked it. I picked up White Patchouli, because I liked it at the time. I honestly don't remember how I feel about it either, been in storage for too long....

In terms of what I actually have right now, I like them all, but none are my 'signature', or anything I love, just ones I feel fit certain moods/ situations. I have both of the Elizabeth and James scents, and I won't tell you whose line it is. I was embarrassed I had bought them when I found out, and honestly wouldn't have if I knew. Not impressed enough to support people who I am embarrassed to have supported. Both are simple, and weren't expensive. They are good for mixing. The Nirvana White is a very relaxed scent that is conservative and perfect for my office job. I wore it nearly every day. It is easily replaceable, and I won't buy it again. Nirvana Black I regretted, because it really is just a simple sandalwood. I could have gotten sandalwood essence for a lot less than I paid for it. It claims to have all kinds of other stuff in it, but after an hour, all that is there is sandalwood. I also have RosaBotanica, which is like a floral bomb. I like it, but can't ever find the right time to wear it. Once I find a nice woody scent to mellow it, I will wear it a lot more. I have Tokyo Milk Black La Vie La Mort. I don't remember why I got it, I think for mixing. I don't like it on it's own. There are a number of other ones I want, cause they are cheap so I am ok leaving a bottle in a car or an office or purse. They are fun, unconventional fragrances, they just don't last at all. I also have this micro-brand called 'MikMoi' that I found when in the desert at a little shop. I really like them, they are a refreshing break from everything else I mentioned which all tend to smell the same after a while. Also, they last very nicely and are subtle, but definitely there. I have "Aldwych", "Itoh", and "Vesper". The only one I didn't like was "Ao". There are two others I haven't tried yet, but sound like I will like them as much as the others! I think there is another perfume I am missing, but I don't remember what it is.

Ok, I have rambled enough. Post up your favorite scents too!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

I don't wear perfume. I occasionally wear body sprays, and I like fruit scents. I do have a body spray from bath and body works Lain bought me, called a beautiful day that is perfumey that I wear sometimes. Kind of outdoorsy and a bit of flower.

I love cooking scents! I love the smell of sautéed onions. I love seasonings and cilantro. Lettuce! I love walking through a veggie garden. Of course, the smell right after it starts raining. :) I'm sure I'll think of more!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bunnie

Baked

I LOVE fresh roses! I hate anything rose scented. It's bullshit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I LOVE the smell after it rains too! :highfive:

It is different in different areas. :D California has a really distinct earthy smell, and Nevada has always had this distinct wet dusty sagebrushy smell to it. It is very nice, actually! It smells alive, but unlike the forests or Oregon. You can close your eyes, take a breath, and just smell the green and flowers opening up in the dusty dirt of the open high-desert areas :) In some areas, you can smell the pine and juniper opening up too!

One of the CB "I Hate Perfume" smells has this smell like wet snow, but it isn't quite like the snow around here. I think it might have been based off snow from somewhere else, and something about it really suggests Northeastern US for some reason. The West coast has a range of smells, but they all seem to be familiar to me even when visiting a certain state for the first time. Like the first time I visited Oregon, the wet was loamy smelling and new, but still reminded me a lot of Northern California. SoCal, in the desert, smelled very much like Northern Nevada. And Washington was a mix like Cali, some places earthy and foresty, some loamy, and some dusty deserty. It was very familiar. Arizona smelled a bit new, but also smelled like Nevada. Colorado smelled like Northern Cali/ Sierra Nevadas; dusty and foresty. When I visited the east coast a few times, the wet smells were alien! It was weird. :p The wet rotting leaves instead of wet pine floor I think it what did it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

Petrichor - a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.
    (I also love that smell!!!!!!!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

It's like chocolate!
    Chocolate smells GREAT!

Unless it's pretty much anything that isn't actually chocolate.
    Like scratch-n-sniff stickers or candles.
    It always smells exceedingly fake and annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

Kita, your initial post has WAY too many words for me to read right now.
    (I've been drinking Junior Johnson's Midnight Moonshine (strawberry))

BUT... Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab... YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They may be a bit expensive, but they also send you sample packs when you buy like one vial of something.
    And those sample packs are worth a bunch f wearings, not just once or thrice.

I have The Robotic Scarab and The Antikythera Mechanism and they're both just absolutely awesome.

I can't say enough awesome things about BPAL.
    They have some scents I'm not crazy about, but I'm sure other noses love 'em.

Really, when you say "next on your list", it's not soon enough.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bunnie

Baked

I love when something homemade is baking. Cakes especially! My friend used to make these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies! :drool:

I am super high on some X-13 we just purchased from the dispensary down the road. It smells awesome as well! :clap:
    :ppp:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bunnie

Baked

I've been meaning to check out the Black phoenix alchemy lab! Heard good things.

Babies! I have umpteen nieces/nephews and they smell so nice as babies. I'm sure the mamas and the papas can back me up on that. Sounds a bit weird, but hey, it fits in here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  10. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Ewwww babies smell like sour milk and baby poop! Baby poop smells different than adult poop too. I think it is the high lactose diet or something. I heard that to non-dairy heavy countries, Americans smell like sour milk, since we exude what we eat from our pores. Ewww! :p

I actually kinda like the smell of horses and wet dogs. Not as something I want in my home every day, mind you. But I actually love stepping onto a ranch or a fair and smelling the livestock. And I just like dogs, so smelling them and knowing they are around, wet and causing trouble, is kinda enjoyable too :p

11. Bunnie

Baked

Ew wet dog!

I had a friend who loved the smell of gasoline. It makes me nauseous and light-headed, even just getting gas.

12. Bunnie

Baked

Marijuana! So many wonderful kinds to smell and try at the dispensary.

Fresh cut grass, speaking of grass, as my dad calls it. It cracks me up every time.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

ha!

funny you should mention this. today was bath day as he is getting his nails trimmed tomorrow. he is getting better in the bath, still hates it, but doesnt resist as much. he still loves towel time, tho

14. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Gizmo puts up with the bath because he knows what comes after. He loves getting toweled off! What a goofy dog! :p

Jackie immediately runs all over the place after a bath, runs outside and rolls in the grass with her little legs kicking in the air, then runs inside and rolls around and rubs herself on the area rugs. Usually she then starts barking at everyone until she gets a treat, because Buster is done by then as well and that is the routine. What a little shit. -_- At least they are able to get the Buster pee (he marks her....) and the car grease (she crawls under the cars) off of her. Le sigh. She just got a bath last week, and already has the telltale black grease mark on her tail and yellow mark on her back. -_-

Oh, and while wet dog is a fun smell, dog urine puts me on edge. I know someone pissed inside and is about to get yelled at when I find out who and where!! >:K

15. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

i swear, he was acting like a bull running to the red cape with the towel, just throwing himself into it

and it was cool enough to open the windows tonight but some smell must be freaking him out, he is REALLY velcro right now, STANDING under my chair staring at me thru my legs (since its dark under the desk, i see these glowing haunted house eyes looking at me)

16. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

He is trying to con you out of more towel time. Maybe grab a blanket, make a Giz-quito, and see what happens? He hasn't had taquito time in a while....

17. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

First of all... didn't you read what I posted?
    If you haven't tried Black Phoenix yet, you're not doing it right!

Also, as a parent, yes... babies smell great!
    (As long as there's no poop or sour milk.) :lol:

• Like Like x 1