seriously?

Discussion in 'news' started by Mars, 10 Jun 2011.

Tags:
  1. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

they basically said: we got this letter regarding your domain. since youre using whois privacy, please let us know how you will respond to this enquiry.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

he needs ninas identity to get bams identity, so i am following this through to a logical conclusion (gvs host WOULD NOT have access to specific xenforo admin capabilities, such as the console linking an avatar to an IP)

however, you are right, it looks like he is trying to get ninas info for the suit (which of course the hosts will keep confidential barring a court order)

3. nina

Nerdy

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mulch

Psychedelic

which ass cheek to you tell them to have the lawyer kiss?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

Oh. Then no big deal. If they want to attempt to sue Nina in Australia that should prove fruitless.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mulch

Psychedelic

if he was going for your contact info to get to bams, that is one thing

if he is going after you... make his lawyer earn the money, you are in australia, i am SURE you can make this expensive and the law protects you

i am not sure what forum would welcome him after this

(i saw toronto at first, was still asleep, i thought it was ev0l, lulz)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Nope. If you read in the letters to the editor of a paper that your friend is a pedo and you tell your other friend that you read this you are not defaming. The paper is liable as well as the person who wrote the letter.

8. Mulch

Psychedelic

no, a provider is NOT liable for libel

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Tucows lawyers are an international firm, for obvious reasons, based in PA. The plaintiffs lawyer Randy Rosa is in FL. Tucows is based in Toronto. Nina is in Oz. Where will the survivors be buried? lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mulch

Psychedelic

the paper is liable only if they wrote the story as fact, not if they allowed an opinion piece... which is what a forum is

• Like Like x 2
  11. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

Look at the way the letter is worded. Nina is the site "owner" and therefore the publisher in this case. See my analogy of the newspaper. Newspapers are liable for what they print.

12. Mulch

Psychedelic

if he goes after nina, and it goes to court, nina will win

she actually gave you the only appropriate defense

read it again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230_of_the_Communications_Decency_Act

13. Derek

Derek Psychohistorian

A newspaper will not allow you to print defamation in their letters to the editor section. You cannot write to a newspaper and state your opinion that so and so is a pedo. That's ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ajax Manatiso

Ajax Manatiso Everybody lambada!
    Dancing

Form letters are $200. The customer picks a "defamation letter" from among several, and then the law firm's clerks print it out and sent it. The odds that an actual lawyer even saw this letter is zero.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

The friend's name was never mentioned.
    I can't read "Popeye is a pedo" and then say "Hey, I sometimes use the anonymous handle 'Popeye', they are defaming ME!"

The person in his RL that went to his friends and said "There is an anonymous poster named Popeye posting on this forum and all those negative postings about Popeye are this guy in RL".
    That person is defaming his RL, not the anonymous posting about an anonymous poster.

16. McLovin

McLovin Should Update Title
    Nerdy

This isn't so. It's been played out in the courts many, many times.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mulch

Psychedelic

agreed

if it was a legit claim, the suit would have been filed against a "doe or does" and would have been referenced in the letter

lawyers send these letters out all day long

actual litigation is a whole different process

so tell me don... how can you claim to be a "bull" when your nipples are so sensitive? i didnt know bulls were allowed to cry. good job hiding your udders, btw

18. nina

Nerdy

i didnt expect this from somebody that has expressed disappointment in 'over-moderation' in the past, and has complained that gV was falsely promoted as a no-mod board.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Mulch

Psychedelic

i didnt expect this from someone who claims to have a penis

• Like Like x 6
  20. Aimee Weber

Aimee Weber Queen of the Metaverse

Forums are different from newspaper editorials because newspapers actively select letters to publish in their editorial columns. "Provider" status was created by the Communications Decency Act to accommodate systems where users automatically self-publish without the editorial approval (or even knowledge) of the provider (for example, in forums.)

So Nina is safe.

• Like Like x 10