seriously?

Discussion in 'news' started by Mars, 10 Jun 2011.

Tags:
  1. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

I've learned on the internet no one is better than that. :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Not necessarily, unless perhaps (and only) if it pertained to 'national security'. It depends in which countries the scrubbing services reside...to my understanding. In the event of 'national security', a lot of jurisdictional red tape can be eliminated, involving Interpol, etc...but anything falling short of that trigger would have a VERY difficult time.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

I work as a security contractor, and some of my contracts have special requirements for encryption, security, and privacy. Some of my contracts result in people being a little more than bent at my work, because it usually persecutes them and locks down the evidence needed to put them away. As such, I protect myself with a 'shield' which misdirects persons who are searching me out via the Internet.

Sure, hackers and crackers can do it too, and the good ones are. The only 'hackers and crackers' you hear about getting sucked into the system are the stupid ones. The real good ones are never heard about, their hacks go unnoticed, and they aren't looking for fame and popularity. Their in it for the money, the education, the challenge, or all of it, but not to get noticed.

Most of you connect to the Internet via a single access point, you see it as a router which hooks to your DSL/Cable modem and you access everything through that. The cable connection is your 'window' to the Internet.

My system connects to the cable modem, but all traffic from my cable modem is routed to another system, which scrubs the identifying information from my connection, and then retransmits it to (yet another) scrubber. Eventually my packets make their way into the world from that 'window' and that's what everyone sees when I am talking to them.

I use a series of scrubbers and my IP changes as I surf back and forth (usually for latency issues). None of these systems keep running logs, as per contract, and none of them store backups of the system software, which was customized and compiled by me for the purpose of maintaining security. No one is allowed physical access to my scrubbers and they are in locked cages which only myself and the contact person have keys for.

So..... to answer your question.... sure it's possible to get back to who I am. Is anyone going to spend the money to do it..... probably not. You would have to expend quite a large amount of money to acquire someone with the skills to track and trace me back to my actual system I am posting from. Since I connect to VPN when I'm away from home, there's no way to track me through intermediary sources like if I'm at the Starbucks or whatever.

Since nothing I've said or done has broken the law, as was reaffirmed by my lawyer moments ago, then there's no legal cause, and my lawyer will file the proper injunctions if that becomes necessary.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Lain

Sneaky

I didn't see this letter or know anything about this incident until a few hours ago when I jumped on here after Bunnie pointed out the stupidity. So any claims or speculation otherwise is ludicrous. I shutdown my network and reconfigured my scrubbers because It's a standard occurrence every June, when the contracts run out.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lain

Sneaky

It's pretty pathetic that Don would stoop to this type of action, after all of the shit he talks, and the horrible shit he's posted about me. I can't even believe his hypocrisy and his double standards. Cowardly and pathetic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

Thank you for your answer.

I understand somewhat better now.

My question was actually, technical in nature, and you answered quite well for a layman such as myself to understand.

I honestly don't see anything coming out of any of this...but what do I know?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jolene

Amazed

You're quick! :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lain

Sneaky

The best metaphor..... let's see....

Think of your Internet connection as your personal vehicle. You get in your car and go to the store, whatever. I don't have a car that's mine. I 'borrow' a car everytime I go out to the Internet. To make it harder to find me, I don't 'rent' from a place with colored cars (like a random proxy service), I rent from one who only has grey cars, so you can only tell who's inside if you can see into the car itself.

Does that help?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lain

Sneaky

I have an amazing number of people flinging information at me in all directions about this. I'm not sure that's a good thing, though. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jolene

Amazed

Yep, it helps.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jolene

Amazed

Sure is quite the little shitstorm.

I wonder if Don will talk here, or not.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lain

Sneaky

I could care less. Once again I find myself in a position of defending myself against persons who assaulted me originally, and are now trying to turn their misbehavior around and push the blame onto me, as if it's my fault he made those comments and acts the way he does on the Internet.

It's shameful, and his wife is probably mortified.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

I was unfriended by Don in SL. I think he means business. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

This is making me rethink every keystroke I make on the net to anyone! Way to suck all the fun out it!! One day I'm hoping for a book to come out of all this , all fake names will be changed to protect all the fake names but I know there is a book in all this somewhere! Now to set down to write it!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Lain

Sneaky

Yeah I keep telling myself that but who would read it when you can log on to (insert forum name here) and get the live version? ;)

• Like Like x 5
  16. Wad

Wad Drama is Fascinating
    Zorro

Exactly right.

• Like Like x 3
  17. colleen Criss

Cheerful

IF his lawyers have not GAGGED his keystrokes I'd be shocked as hell. Of course at this point nina could gag them and be justified in the doing.

• Like Like x 3
  18. colleen Criss

Cheerful

My 1st thought was to say I'm sorry Bunnie and then I realized....it's probably the best thing.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Liona Clio

Liona Clio Poetry in Motion
    Benevolent

*sigh* It's funny how unfriending can affect you. I was online the other day, and got the message that Vivianne Draper unfriended me. :(

I'm sure she was just cleaning out her friends list. But I do know we didn't part on the best of terms when I moved to posting from SCII to gV. She used to say we were twins, cause I shared so many of her opinions on the forums. I have no idea what (or if) she thinks of me now.

Not saying Don unfriending you meant or means anything. It just struck a chord in me when I read that.

• Like Like x 5
  20. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I suspect that his lawyers counseled him to post here no more. We need Lias to pony up a new quit term. Ragequit is so last quarter.

• Like Like x 4