Server Laggy & Slow

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by Mulch, 24 Dec 2012.

1. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

In the last week or so, I have noticed very severe intermittent lag and slowdown on GV, particularly when clicking links, but also when opening a media or photo window in the wysiwg edito, and a sometimes very noticable lag between when i type or delete and when it shows in the wyswyg editor

it doesnt seem like the software as much as the server. i checked it vs loading speeds of my forum and mine is loading way faster which seems ridiculous as my machine is a 9 year old p4 hosting other sites as well. Granted, none of mine are very high traffic and while I am not accessing them locally, are close to where I am testing.

I do not know where your server is and if latency is the issue, but I don't think thats it. If its a dedicated server, you may want to check the load, processes, the ram (i know you are old school and dont like to reboot the server but maybe it needs it), and such. If you are shared, i think someone else on your machine has a lot of traffic/load and its affecting us. Might be a good idea to ask to move off that machine.

Maybe your database needs compressing or cleaning, too. But I don't think so as I assume a lot but not all (of what I am noticing) seems ajax related, which would, to me, indicate load or ram, not a cluttered sql.

I wouldn't really have bothered to tell you but i know you either like/are good at debugging this sort of thing

plus, your forum was one of the fastest responding i ever saw at one time (although i realize as the DB fills up, there is a natural slowdown over time). it just seems beyond that at this time

2. Saffs

Saffs Accredited batshit buster
    Probing

You saying Ajax is slowing stuff up on here? That seems very unkind at Christmas.
    Anyway, for what it's worth, gV is working fine for me so must be your end.

3. Mulch

Psychedelic

it could be, but no other dynamic sites i visit exhibit the behavior. it also effects page load time once a link is clicked, again, specific to gv

i guess i could traceroute it...

4. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

Everything's ok on my end.

It's probably Ajax's fault. :shakefist:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lain

Sneaky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)

Ajax is a programming language used for web applications.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mulch

Psychedelic

i cant trace it cuz gv is on cloudflare

i am not sure how helpful cloudflare is, however. perhaps on storing images and stylesheets and such for bandwidth or speed, but the content is basically 100% dynamic, so if the server goes down, cloudflare cant continue to serve the content

i opted out of using cloudflare beacuse of the limited usefulness on a forum, unless i am missing a reason besides bandwith and proximity of serving images and stylesheets

• Like Like x 1
  7. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

You must got first your GV's gold member card and everything will be alright!

• Like Like x 1
  8. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

gV hasnt used cloudflare in at least a year. it seemed to create more problems than it solved. we did leave their domain servers running though.
    havent noticed any lag or whatnot. there may be cache fragmentation though, so maybe an http restart is in order. perhaps even a full full server reboot. the server hasnt rebooted in over a year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

10. Lain

Sneaky

Is this for people with ADD?

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  11. Mulch

Psychedelic