shit aint working

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by Mulch, 21 Sep 2015.

1. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

2. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

All of this talk about using an alternative OS on a Windows gadget has drawn Karma from the thought police. ;)

3. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I am having issues too. Trying to post my solution, but Mulch got his to go through before I could get mine through. Still can't get it to post... ;_;

4. Mulch

Psychedelic

its bitrot

its why i killed my old forum and started a new project and current feature set. too many plugins and dependencies long since abandoned and much too stupid to clean up a "legacy" platform anyway when i can work with devs on current platforms with more functionality much easier.

actually, having a problem right now in beta test as an update (for beta testing) occurred today on a beta test MISIION CRITICAL application (won't be used at ALL after launch).

to ensure i wouldn't fuck anything up by taking the update, i checked the release notes to see what was updated. "spelling" was the update. i figured "why not if its *just* spelling?"

i can assure you that it is not JUST spelling and shit got all fucked up immediately after i took the update.

fuck!

still deciding how to handle this...

5. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Interesting....

Now, from the quick post page, I can't get the post to publish. I can hit 'more options' and be sent to the proper page, along with everything I had typed. However, the 'post reply' button is missing. I can hit preview post, and see a preview, but the 'post reply' button is gone

Now, also to note, is a slight bug that has been around for a few months but I never mentioned because it was so minor. Right next to the 'upload' button in the 'more options' page is a button that says 'post reply'. Pressing it only opens an upload window, a standard kind, not the nice little plugin one that comes up if you press 'upload'. I think the button is mismarked. Below the row of buttons that includes 'upload' is the non-fake post button that works and actually posts. Right now, that second row with the 'post reply' button that makes the post live is missing. The fake 'post reply' button that is next to the 'upload' button and only functions as an 'upload' button is present, and only lets me upload a file, not make a post.

6. Mulch

Psychedelic

i can almost assure you it is an abandoned dependency somewhere in the chain. been trying to figure out how to deal with that for a while now, in long term thinking. whether it be a plugin or a simple apt-get dependency, the problem of abandoned utilities seems to be an ever ominous future plague, which is why i chose the platform that i did because of its enthusiastic developers.

even if it is plugin issues, i dont think like, xenforo specifically is to blame, althought fracturing the vbulliton devs didnt help. it weakened BOTH platforms long term.

i try to see the positives in forks, but when my last forum software started forking really bad (SMF), and i HATE the phpbb look and feel, i decided to dramatically switch course in favor of long term stability where i can turn features off much more easily (the hooks are much more well done, supported, and developed by a non fractured base) if need be when abondonware starts affecting my shit

forks dilute the talent pool which slowly kills individual prongs until not even a spoon is left.

the problems of open source freeware, i guess (sorry, i know xenforo costs yearly but forking from vbull made BOTH weaker long term, IMHO)

7. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

How come you guys can still post in the other topic and I can't????

*whine*

8. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Ok, testing to see if it is my content, and not thread specific...

It seems tied to links. Again. Posts when I remove links.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mulch

Psychedelic

you havent figured out the sekrit workaround yet

duh

workarounds are your (very short term) friend, my dear

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Removed the http:// and my content posted. Something broken in the URL plugin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mulch

Psychedelic

inorite

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I THOUGHT WE FIXED THAT.

...and why do you think that was the first thing I tested? I knew it broke before, but I thought it was fixed. :/

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mulch

Psychedelic

its a fucking dependency of some sort. i been dealing this for a couple years before fate MADE me rethink my approach. i am not certain i am right for the long term, but i think i am in better long term shape than SMF

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mulch

Psychedelic

no, the old problem (here) was apache restarts because of pipelining (i think that was confirmed, maybe not)

once linux is set it is rock solid

then, when you update 1 thing, everything else becomes a state of flux, even with supposedly foolproof utilities like aptitude, etc checking shit when you use "safe-upgrade"

and that doesnt even factor in platform specific plugins (in this case, xenforo) such as "like buttons" that can be abandoned at any time and break entire sites when a major change, security update, or depreciation is enforced

Last edited: 21 Sep 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

as far as dependencies and plugins go, gV already runs pretty lean. its little more than ubuntu, mysql, apache, and a handful of libraries. we arent even running mail or ftp. we dont have a lot of third party xf addons, i think moods, likes, albums, tapatalk, and a couple more are the extent of them. most of the addons we wrote ourselves. as far as ubuntu/mysql, php, apache, etc go, they dont fall out of synch because i always update them all at the same time, manually.

linode (the host) have been harassing me for a month to migrate from xen virtualisation to kvm virtualization, and have been carrying on about how its the future of the web and linode is optimising for people moving in that direction. this is when the io rate started sending me threshold warnings and the like, so... maybe i will do that on my next day off.

i have been contemplating deploying a new centos/nginx setup for gV, and xf core 1.51 just dropped and i should probably update that too. i tend to really drag ass on the core updates to avoid problems, but that has a knockon effect on the xf addons, meaning they are usually 5 or more versions behind.

i will look at this and make some changes on thursday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  16. Mulch

Psychedelic

isnt nginx only an improvement with high volumes of static pages? I was under the impression that for dynamic content, apache was still king of the hill. unless you are using some sort of static caching, in which case, maybe that is where the problem lies

• Like Like x 1
  17. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

a popular config is to run nginx as the frontend, and run apache as the backend, but nginx can indeed do both if it is compiled with the requisite modules.
    apache though... its approach of trying to do everything, including things it doesnt need to do, makes it quite heavy and a pain to optimise.
    i have been looking at both nginx and litespeed for ages now. i think its about time to create a couple slices and import the gV data and see which is better.
    im also taking a serious look at centmin mod, created by george aka eva2000- a long-time vBulletin optimisation tech. george knows his shit, and was the goto guy for vB optimisation for over a decade.

so far as caching goes, gV does use an acp opcode cache. this generally serves up static pages and pulls sessions from the db into memory and had a pretty dramatic effect on speed when it was installed. its been quite solid, and since apache is rebooted frequently it never has the opportunity to degenerate due to fragmentation. we also do some optimisations with pagespeed, which i am less confident of.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mulch

Psychedelic

i was trying to use redis for my new project. it was ridiculously fast putting db queries into ram, but it has some (lmao) unintended consequences which make it impossible to use without figuring out WHY it is doing what it is doing. my first mistake involved forgetting to salt my config and having ALL my websites where i was using/testing redis functionality sharing data. not good, but very funny. (RTFM mistake)

now, i find it does not like to write data, which is problematic at best. i am still chasing down a random server hang with no viable log entries to suggest a culprit as well. perhaps they are related. redis is on hold for the moment, but it was the fastest cache i have ever seen, bar none

i used apc on my last forum but rumors are it is depreciated and redis seemed the best reviewed approach, although my experience with object caching is fairly new so i may need to study a bit more on this.

no experience with apcu or opcache, but it is starting to look like i may have to go that route as i might not have any choice if i can't figure out the problem with redis tho; object caching is really fast and pretty much a "can't skip" step in making a modern site.

i didnt realize nginx and apache could coexist on the same server, unless you are using to servers to accomplish that or no control panel at all. interesting concept.

• Like Like x 1