Signatures

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by Fmeh, 13 Jan 2011.

1. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

Is there a way to make it so I see the full height of signatures in people's posts? It's extremely irritating when I'm scrolling down a page to have the whole page stop to scroll the signature before it continues scrolling the rest of the page.

I'm sure that many would argue that people should just make their signatures vertically smaller, but it's doubtful that people will bother with that.

2. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

It's hard to gauge actually. Your sig causes scroll bars on my screen, because I'm using a netbook. So my browser viewing space is different from yours. The only choice would be to eliminate the bars, and ask that people maintain a reasonable sig size.

3. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

I would definitely prefer eliminating the bars altogether.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lain

Sneaky

Yeah I think we can just ask people to be reasonable. Mine's probably even a bit large I need to size it down a click. :p

5. Lain

Sneaky

Look ma, no scroll bars. :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

I fixed mine as well. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

In my case, being a fashionista blogger and all it just would not do to have anything other than the slimmest of sig bars. :angel:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

Yeay!

• Like Like x 2
  9. New Me

New Me Envoy's research assistant...
    Balanced

I had an espresso and a sig bar for lunch today.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

Hey handsome. Wanna blog? [​IMG]

11. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

Darn, when I said "yeay" I thought the scrollbars had gotten rid of, but it was just a couple people who made their signature smaller.

Seriously, not having the scrollbars on *anyone's* signature would be really nice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bulldick!

Bulldick! Rampaging
    Notamused

I actually like it the current way, to avoid scrolling thru the signature I just scroll over the avatar side.

:hug:

• Like Like x 1
  13. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

if you dont start or stop scrolling while over a sig it should skip right over it.
    i think the intent of the scrolling sig is to allow people to have as big a sig as they want, while at the same time not forcing others to look at it.
    it would be pretty trivial to hide the overflow and thus remove the scrollbars, but wouldnt that defeat the point?
    fyi, signatures can also be turned off full stop as a user preference.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

I don't like or accept having to change the way I look at webpages special just for this ONE forum. No. My mouse is generally in the middle of the screen when I scroll, I really don't feel like changing that habit for ONE forum.

15. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

I don't know what browser you're using, but on Chrome it automatically stops scrolling the page and starts scrolling the signature.
    Yeah, instead, people have to change they way they look at webpages. Which is more of a pain? Having to see a big signature or actually having to change one's internet habits?
    If it didn't stop scrolling the whole page to scroll the signature, I wouldn't be complaining. I think the scrollbars are stupid.

16. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

if its that problematic, signatures can be turned off full stop as a user preference

• Like Like x 1
  17. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

Scrolling sigs.
    This is such a first world problem.

(mimes Jerry Seinfeld miming Elaine whining that she doesn't want a drink because it is too much effort to shake the bottle and unscrew the cap.)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lain

Sneaky

If you keep your pointer out of the page center and hover over the whitespace along the side (or the rightside scroll bar itself) you won't have those issues when scrolling the page. Chrome senses the pointer when it enters a new scrolling text location and focuses on the new 'target'. I think Firefox behaves like this too maybe I am wrong?

19. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

I always forget. Can't you do something to save me from myself? COME ON :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dave64 Hancroft

Dave64 Hancroft King Canuck
    Amused

Hmmm? What is a signature?:confused: