Spanish-Language Culture

Discussion in 'mature-NSFW' started by LeeHere Absent, 30 Mar 2011.

1. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Don and I were talking off-forum about Spanish-language culture yesterday and comparing notes on movies, plays, books, poems and whatnot. We got quite a little collection of recommendations going.

There are translated or subtitled versions of much of this material, and some of it is painted art and instrumental music, which needs no (language) translation, so this could be a subject with a broader appeal than just Don and I. Or it could end up just the two of us. I thought I'd give it a shot. And if I'm really super lucky, maybe I will get dadatic (an old and beloved friend of mine, and Mitch, Steph and VVI's too) to pop over and contribute.

So the subject is Spanish-language culture. That includes all the arts. Food, music (Orfeu and New Me?), plays, poetry, prose, film, fashion, etc. And the audience is anyone who is interested.

Bienvenidos.

2. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

I hold the belief that Spanish speaking people do have culture.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

[​IMG]

I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area. One of my absolute all-time favorite restaurants in San Francisco is Cha Cha Cha. The one in the Haight. There is another one in the Mission district, which is the Spanish-language district of San Francisco. I try to go back to Cha Cha Cha when I'm down in San Francisco, which is often, because I have family there and because I love it. I like to have a long leisurely lunch with sangria and tapas (especially the Black Mussels and Cajun Shrimp with French Bread and OMG the Fried Platanos Maduros) and then take a walk through the Haight Ashbury district which is a show all its own and then work up to dessert at Ben and Jerrys.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

That is an excellent start.

5. Pep

Pep Eats Mars for breakfast

I'll contribute Jorge Luis Borges.

Pep (he wrote shorter stories than Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

• Like Like x 2
  6. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pep

PS And one of my favourite dishes - albeit nursery food - is corned beef pie.

8. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

I can tell you I know Don agrees. He recommended Jorge Luis Borges, saying he found him to be "superb." He also recommended the poetry of Mario Benedetti.

9. Pep

My kids, at the age of 6 and 9, used to astonish teachers etc who asked what their favourite meal was by replying tapas, and you can guess where that influence came from.

Pep (will also take Rioja in front of Claret (or any other red wine) every time.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Loved 100 Years of Solitude .

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

12. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

I love tapas. I love tapas-themed restaurants. Love, love, love.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Orfeu Miles

Orfeu Miles Lurker
    Wtf

The great Spanish Film maker Bunuel

• Like Like x 1
  14. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Ah, One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez. I have not read it. I'll definitely add it to my list. Thanks, colleen.

(Another reason for the thread, so I could capture recommendations in one place.) [​IMG]

15. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

16. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Also, I was telling Don about a more recent movie in which a film score composer thought he was inspired by the ring tone of the phones at a bank. He ends up pretending to be the fiancé of an ambitious, pregnant bank executive whose strong-willed mother is coming to visit from Spain. I think it was set in Columbia, but I might be making that up from faulty memory banks. Although Don thinks it was Columbia too. Does anyone know the movie? Do you know the title and the setting? The lead actor had a kind of "Spanish Woody Allen meets a basset hound" kind of charm.

17. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wasted Engineer

Wasted Engineer Secret Identity
    Notamused

Well, I guess this is some kind of joke or something... or maybe leeher wants to know if I am cultured...

In my family we all are cultured, the Spanish Language is one of the most cultured languages all around the world. I am from Andalucia and I think Ernest Hemingway said the andalucian language was a language boiling in culture.... Just a date, we are always making new words and using a "short" spanish... for instance the expression "no ni ná" whom are 3 negations, and mean more than a very positive response.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JohnnyVann

JohnnyVann Acthp!
    caffeine

Did you ever eat at Mom Is Cooking? Great Mexican food in SF. Best I'd had since leaving Texas.

20. Saffs

Saffs Accredited batshit buster
    Probing

This is devious Lee. The idea is to civilise Wasted by talking about the subject closest to his heart: Spanish. Will it work?
    My contribution is Lorca and the movies of Aldomovar ( Volver, Women On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)
    I have been to various places in Spain. Played tennis on the south coast and did a train trip from Paris to Malaga. It is the most mountainous country in Europe after Switzerland. It is beautiful. But for some reason I dont like it much. It reminds me of Wales.
    I also do not like bullfighting which is barbaric and should be banned

• Like Like x 2