Spanish-Language Culture

Discussion in 'mature-NSFW' started by LeeHere Absent, 30 Mar 2011.

1. dadatic

dadatic Should Update Title

An early free software advocate (after all, what's software but poetry?), Juan Ruiz, Archpriest of Hita, wrote his 'Libro de Buen Amor' ('Book of Good Love') in the 14th century. The Book of Good Love is sort of an anarchic blog, where the Archpriest lets his pen fly through multiple thoughts and emotions, prayers, traditional tales, piety, humour, eroticism... The license is quite simple:

"Qualquier ome, que l' oya, sy bien trobar sopiere,
    Puede más añedir é enmendar si quisiere.
    Ande de mano en mano: qualquier que lo pediere.
    Como pella las dueñas, tómelo quien podiere.
    Pues es de Buen Amor, enprestadlo de grado:
    No l' negedes su nonbre ni l' dedes rrehertado,
    No l' dedes por dinero vendido nin alquilado;
    Ca non ha grado nin graçia el Buen Amor conplado."

As medieval Spanish is difficult to understand today even for a Spaniard, I'm not sure if my translation is accurate, but I think I have captured the spirit well enough:

"Any man who hears it, if he can write poetry,
    he may add more and amend it if he wants.
    Let it go from hand to hand : whoever asks for it.
    Like women playing ball, take it if you can.
    Because it's of Good Love, lend it willingly:
    don't make its name moot nor quarrel for it,
    don't give it for money neither sold nor rented;
    since Good Love when bought is neither pleasure nor fun."

---------------

Since it's not easy when translating to keep rhyme and metre without altering the sense, I haven't even tried, and I'll just attempt to say something else in English that can give an idea of the predominant rhythm:

No matter if you're clever, or you trade at the bourse,
    or if you're a rich person and have many a resource,
    understanding old cultures is a difficult course,
    although not very expensive, because it's open source.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dadatic

• Like Like x 3
  3. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Ha! I like it.

4. dadatic

I'm sure that all, or most, or maybe a few people are thinking that my analogies between current Internet phenomena and ancient times are exaggerated. This resistance is not unexpected. The belief of living at a unique time in history is very common, shared across centuries by all, or most, or maybe a few people. Regardless, I'll tirelessly continue my comparisons, until I get tired.

If there was a time in Spanish history when one could find an excellent equivalent to today's Internet Forums, it was the Spanish Golden Age, specially around the early 16th century. The so-called 'mentideros' were places where people gathered and talked about anything: culture, art, travels, politics, gossip... And at those places people brought all sorts of writings, printed or in manuscript, someone else's or their own, signed or anonymous, maybe not as conveniently transmitted as posts on the Internet, but with no less liveliness. Printed books were often a continuation of those exchanges.

I'm unable to think of behaviours in Internet Forums that one could not find as well at that era. Quevedo was very often a troll, provoking and making fun of other people. A subtle troll was Cervantes at times, like when he attacked Lope de Vega without naming him. Prolonged feuds of today have a close resemblance to those of Quevedo versus Góngora, or Cervantes versus Lope de Vega. According to some opinions, this last quarrel started when someone aired a private message, something that won't look unfamiliar to veteran forum users.

Sometimes people created alts to attack their rivals. Probably the most famous alt was Alonso Fernández de Avellaneda, the one who wrote a spurious second part of Don Quixote, just to attack Cervantes. Historians are still trying to figure out whose alt he was. He should be a humbling model for all those trolls who boast about their stamina: how many of them have written a full novel just for the sake of trolling? (I tried once in the early nineties, but I got stuck in a creative block after finishing the thirty sixth chapter last year.) Another alt called himself "a friend", the one who wrote the open "letter from a friend" to Góngora to make fun of his poem 'Solitudes'.

You could even find the equivalent to this post, as it was not rare that people at that time drew comparisons with older ages. Several gongorists compared Góngora to Homer, Pindar and Virgil. Quevedo compared him to Ovidius Naso, although this was just to make a pun on his big nose.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Awaken Yoshikawa

Awaken Yoshikawa Should Update Title

I love latin music and dancing the merengue. I played music once at I think it is called Festival Patronales in Puerto Rico. Oh my goodness what fun and dance, dance dance all night....

6. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

i like the food :drool: