Spanish-Language Culture

Discussion in 'mature-NSFW' started by LeeHere Absent, 30 Mar 2011.

1. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

No. Do you?

Okay.

Okay.

Culture from people and places where Spanish is spoken, natch.

Okay.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

I studied Spanish-language literature in college. Read some Borges. I'm certainly no expert on either however. Thread discussions like this, and the surfing that goes with them for me, adds to my knowledge and feeds my curiosity. It's all good from where I sit. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. dadatic

dadatic Should Update Title

The rhymes that follow were composed by a famous forum addict from the 16th century, Fray Luis de León, probably shortly after some heated discussion.

"¡Qué descansada vida
    la del que huye el mundanal ruïdo
    y sigue la escondida
    senda por donden han ido
    los pocos sabios que en el mundo han sido!"

Translation:

"What a relaxed life
    that of him who runs away from the world's commotion,
    and follows the hidden
    path that has been trod
    by the few wise ones who have existed in the world!"

It must be said that, while his contributions were often appreciated, he ran a few times into some trouble with forum moderators, whose policies were perhaps harsher than is the norm nowadays.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mitch_Wexler

Mitch_Wexler Myth or Metaphor
    Mellow

Was he Juan Ponce's brother?

5. dadatic

No. I'm not sure if they were related at all.

6. Mitch_Wexler

Mitch_Wexler Myth or Metaphor
    Mellow

Right....no drama....but that name could have applied to almost EVERYONE from Leon... no?

7. dadatic

It could. It's difficult to know the origin of a surname. It could mean an ancestor from León, it could be a homonym unrelated to the kingdom of León, it could be a name adopted to hide a Jewish ancestry... I don't know how much is known about Fray Luis de Leon's family tree, but I've never heard of him being related to Juan Ponce de León.

8. dadatic

Because culture is such broad a concept, I thought that talking about different slangs may also fit within the topic.

Imagine travelling to an English speaking country where the word "get" is taboo and must be avoided by all means. It might be somewhat stressful, but wouldn't it also be an extraordinary lexicon enriching experience?

But I wasn't really thinking about an English-speaking country, just trying to draw an analogy.

The real word I was thinking of is "coger". In Spain, and in some Latin American countries, it's a frequent and innocuous verb that depending on the context may be translated as "get", "take", "grab", "pick", "catch"… It may also be used just for emphasis in expressions such as "entonces él coge y dice" ("then he goes and says").

In Argentina and Mexico, and maybe in some other Latin American countries, it means "to fuck", and it has completely lost its original meaning. When uninformed visitors say the word, it may take a while before they discover why people look at them with a grin or with a shocked face.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Maryanne

Maryanne Running Naked through the Forums going "Wheee!"
    Balanced

Sorta like going up to an American and asking him were you can find a fag. He might know you're really looking for a cigarette, but he's liable to grin stupidly at you anyways.

• Like Like x 3
  10. dadatic

Amongst people who are interested in Spanish language culture, there may be some who don't understand Spanish and are therefore happy with a good translation of a book originally written in Spanish. However, those who understand Spanish will probably prefer to read it in its original language, and it may be frustrating if it is difficult to find it in their local bookshops. I had a similar frustration when trying to find English language books in Spain before e-commerce made it easier.

During the last years I noticed that Amazon has been steadily adding more books and movies in Spanish to their catalogue. Earlier this week a new Amazon site has been opened for Spain (amazon.es). Having a new store specifically targeting a Spanish audience may mean that more books in Spanish will be available in the future, possibly including some rare works that seemed impossible to find before. (Customs fees may apply to non European Union residents, but hopefully many titles will also be purchasable through other Amazon sites).

On the other hand, because the Spanish film industry is very small, most DVDs at amazon.es are American hits dubbed into Spanish. It would be great if someone takes this chance to restore and rerelease old Spanish classic films: although they are usually nothing to be proud of, they have at least historical interest, and there are a few gems with their own merits.

While the new site targets Spain, it's to be expected that Latin American books will also see a boost. Latin American films probably won't benefit from the new site, as they rarely make it into the Spanish market (curiously, Latin American soap operas are often successful here for some reason).

Another popular Internet bookshop with a big Spanish language catalogue is the Casa del Libro (casadellibro.com), which also has a famous physical bookshop in Madrid, but it lacks the international renown of Amazon, making it less attractive to international customers.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wasted Engineer

Wasted Engineer Secret Identity
    Notamused

The Spanish phrases use to lose the "eloquence? (elocuencia)" once translated into English.

For me, the English is a language of "already made" phrases and concepts, and I feel like am a barbarian speaking English.

We have different ways to call the things, different popular saids, and different culture, so it is all different.

Spanish is better and end of.

12. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Could you give us the eloquent Spanish version of this, please:

The nonsenses you are proud of,
    make me want to pee on your face
    and to shit on your mouth

13. dadatic

I don't know if I'm getting the spirit meant by the author, but for that content I would use the meter we call "romance". It has the inconvenience that the text must be accommodated into eight syllable verses, but we don't need to rhyme the odd verses, and the even verses only require an imperfect rhyme. For example:

Tus estúpidas palabras,
    tan orgullosas y necias,
    con tal violencia me abrasan
    que arrebatado quisiera
    verter mi orina en tu cara
    y henchir tu boca de mierda.

A more cultivated poet may opt, however, for a sonnet, with longer verses but stricter rhymes. In my humble opinion, such choice wouldn't be right for such a short message, as it requires at least fourteen verses. It's of course possible to add ornamental phrases to fill the required space, but that would make it lose all its freshness and spontaneity.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

No, I don't so.

15. Wasted Engineer

Wasted Engineer Secret Identity
    Notamused

good one dadatic, I´d go with this other

Las estupideces de las que te enorgulleces
    me hacen querer mear en tu frente
    y hacer de vientre en tus dientes

16. dadatiс

dadatiс Inhabitant

Too late!

• Like Like x 1
  17. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

Well two times dadatic mean two times donations for our birthday party!!

18. dadatic

Sorry, two broke dadatics. :(

• Like Like x 2
  19. tout

tout It is swimming time!!
    Mondayblues

It is alright do not worry about it.

20. dadatic

It happened that I was chewing some thoughts about culture and what culture means, and in particular what Spanish language culture is about, and I got a couple of teeth broken off. So instead of chewing I was forced to let my thoughts dissolve slowly in my mouth. Whatever procedure I used to swallow such entities, no thoughts are left to display here and only some unthought words will find their way through this scroll. And it's not only that I think that I haven't thought what will be told, but I haven't even thought if it was thought or not. And whoever says I'm lying, may God punish them with candies bigger than their mouths.

As I was saying, I was thinking or unthinking about what Spanish culture is about, and something came, if not to my mind, at least to my oesophagus, so it's only just that I puke it up. 'Novel is a sack where everything fits,' ventured Pío Baroja. With more reason could the same thing be said about culture. Therefore, everything is culture. This whole site is about culture and it's culture itself, while the particularity of this topic we are drowning in is the Spanish language. Everything more or less related to the Spanish language should then be acceptable in this thread. Not a little discovery at all, but more work is needed to fully identify the suspect. A practical definition may help here:

Spanish language is any spoken or written form of communication that I am able to understand.

Consequently, if you doubt if some text is written in Spanish, all you have to do is show it to me. If I can understand it, then it's in Spanish. If not, then it's in a different language, most likely English.

The solution to the problem is nearly complete. Now we know that Spanish language culture is anything related to anything I can understand. That's what this is all about. But I'm already guessing, despite not being thinking, that you (and this is an impersonal 'you', addressed to anyone who has so much spare time as to be reading this) may not be totally satisfied with the outcome. You have come here with some expectations that I haven't got the right to neglect. And it may well be that you are one of those people who define culture as what cultured people consider culture. I have no problem with that, but experience teaches that what cultured people consider culture, I cannot understand. I will go further and say that whatever I cannot understand will be inevitably considered culture by cultured people. So let's recapitulate and let's bring together our two definitions (as it would be unfair to dismiss one or another): Spanish language culture is anything related to anything I can or cannot understand.

We are almost there.

In my unthought opinion, at this point it would be foolish to complain about my definition not being inclusive enough. Still, someone might argue that it's too inclusive, because it may encourage people to bring here totally unexpected matters, e.g. Harry Potter. To alleviate this concern, I propose an experiment: ask a statistically relevant number of random Spanish speaking readers (ten thousand may be enough) and find how many of them have read 'Don Quixote' and how many of them have read 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' (Spanish title: 'Harry Potter y las Reliquias de la Muerte'). If the latter ones are more numerous than the former ones, then it won't be reasonable to exclude Harry Potter from this subject. When all the ten thousand chosen ones have satisfactorily answered (and I mean that they should give a proper account of their reading, not just brag that they read it), you may post the results here.

In the meanwhile, I'll resort to what I said before, whatever it was.

• Like Like x 1