Steam Fucks up Badly & Screws People with Steamlink

Discussion in 'tech' started by Mulch, 20 Oct 2015.

1. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

and Valve makes up for it in a MAJOR way.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/19/valve-steam-link-mac-customers/

This is why Steam (& Valve) are so freaking awesome (future games as well... even if you return the product)

i think it is a negligible risk (i mean do YOU know anyone on a mac who plays steam games?), but still... keep the games and get your money back, or keep the games and wait a little while longer while supporting a company that does something like this

i dont think this is approved by the video game makers conglomerate. most game makers just try to screw people out of money. valve just did right BEFORE they were called out on it. think about that

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I preached the good word of Valve to you, and I am glad you heard it :)

They are a great company, Gabe is doing good work. It will be a short period of time, golden years for PC gaming. I am too jaded to think it will last, but it is really nice for the right now.

3. Mulch

Psychedelic

I am patiently waiting for my steam controller. should be here any day now. preorders have gotten them as of the 16th of october. i preordered. official release is nov 10th, but again, preorders have been received already

4. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I am patiently waiting for my Fallout 4 lootcrate. Supposed to ship out to coincide with the release date in the beginning of November, but their payment server crashed from too many people trying to order it, and they had to cut them off. I couldn't get through. So I got in on the second batch, shipping in December, probably because they ordered more stuff after they realized the demand far exceeded what they expected. Some people will get everything before me :( But it's ok, might not even have myself settled until December anyways, so I will wait to get the game too and just pretend it's still November. Won't read a single spoiler, I only want to hear about technical performance and if there are major bugs or concerns or if it is epically fail and I should walk away.

You can do the same thing. Don't color your opinion by reading what other people are saying, just get it and pretend it is still a month earlier. Use it and decide what you think before getting tied up in reviews. It's more fun that way. :)

5. Mulch

Psychedelic

according to tracking info, i should have the new steam controller by end of day friday. i hope it is as awesome as i hoped it would be when i ordered it

will report back as time permits

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mulch

Psychedelic

[​IMG]

not a lot of time to play with it, but 1st impressions

1. This has a VERY steep learning curve. It is MUCH different on many levels to use to manipulate steam
    2. That learning curve, i bet, will eventually pay off. Not only is there a ridiculous amount of customization options, but there are already profiles. Many profiles, depending on game because of community support
    3. The haptic feedback that simulates the mouse movement with a, for lack of a better word, trackball type feel, is kinda cool. It takes some getting used to, and will likely never be as tight as a keyboard and mouse, certainly comes very close, even with minimal play time. I tried a FPS and a few tweaks and I was up and running with much more accuracy then I thought possible. I suspect this will only get better as more people unbox their own, provide feedback, and valve see's how people are modifying it and use that data to even more precisely fine tune what their basic firmware does
    4. The FPS was interesting, because while I remember reading that it had a gyroscope and accelerometer in it, i didn't think about its uses right out of the box. tilting your controller to aim in a FPS is very unique (likely not that useful, but who knows). For driving and flying type games, my guess is this is going to own other controllers without quite easily
    5. this is different. dont approach this like an xbox controller or you will get frustrated. Every single game will likely require *some* tweaking for it to do what you want it to do in exactly the way you want it, but the depth of options encourage me to say it quite possibly could be the best controller you ever had, that being said
    6. be ready for some frustration, trial and error, and tweaking on every game. this is not a right out of the box solution. this is a controller you can really make your own if you take the time to learn how to tweak it to your liking
    this is based on about 45 minutes of "testing" i could be wrong and this could be a dud. right away it felt backwards and confusing, especially on the new style keyboard input method for typing things (left and right pads and triggers control half of the on screen keyboard), but i bet after some practice and familiarity, this new method will allow for very fast test input via controller and as soon as i started opening up the very well notated options menus, things really started to come together fast to get the controls to respond the way i wanted them to.

i likely wont get much time in the next few weeks to really sit down and adapt to it, which seems like a negative, but i am optimistic that, in the long run, this won't be just A controller, this will become MY controller

7. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

You should send me one to test too. And a steam box system to test it with :D

8. Mulch

Psychedelic

so i got her one and she has had it for days but now she wont test it...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Bitchy

10. Mulch

Psychedelic

CAUTION: strong medicine

Last edited: 23 Nov 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mulch

Psychedelic

sadly, valve seamed to have bungled the steam machine launch. even with pre black friday 40% off sales on low end systems that rival consoles but on mostly unsupported linux games, the news of the performance of steam machines is pretty fucking bad (especially compared to a windows machine of equal specs)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...gnificant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/

and i admit i am still dealing with the learning curve of the steam controller, (which i still suspect can be perfected by tweaking the numerous variables), but it is frustrating because each single game requires some sort of customization, AND migration of customization as you learn from what you handt configured perfectly

that being said, i still think the steam controller is the future, even if it isnt close to there right now, needs to much micromanagement, and might need tweaks to the form factor

but the steam controller has the right idea

the steam machines. however, appear pretty fucking bungled at launch. bad, bad outcome for steam. their stock lowers on bad performance from mediocre hardware, especially compared to commodity machines with windows

they arent dead, but they rolled really low on their initiative roll by botching the launch...

12. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Valve was NOT in charge of the hardware, they only made the OS. The OS only *just* came out of Beta, and just got out of Alpha earlier this year. Third parties were responsible for the steam machines, and were the ones who gave the green light, wanting to get them out in time for the holidays. I am going to stand by Valve here and say they can't be blamed for poor consoles. The third parties making the hardware preloaded with Valve's OS said their systems were ready. It was their call, not Valve's. ANYONE can make and sell a Steam Machine. There is no 'official' manufacturer. Valve made the OS and told people to have fun with it. They have a habit of overworking software and missing launch dates by months and months, and most likely were pressured to greenlight the OS release before they felt ready. Give the boxes a year, and look at these as Beta boxes. There is not a shred of surprise from me about this, I knew SteamOS still had lots of quirks.

Also, Steam controllers are Valve's *first* attempt at hardware. That and their little streaming boxes. I expected bumps, and was not expecting perfect launches. What I DO expect from them is strong support, and working hard to improve once they get all the feedback after it hits the market. I expect a vastly improved second go, in addition to as many tweaks and attempts to fix the problems with the first launch as they can. Firmware flashes for the controllers and streaming boxes, and as many tweaks as it takes to software to get them working. A third release, if they stick with it, will be phenomenal. It will have all the quirks worked out, and since Valve listens to it's fans, it will have all the stuff gamers want and features they didn't like removed. Maybe even have multiple version depending on taste.

Valve is not a publicly traded company. It belongs to Gabe and his employees. No stock to go down, it is 100% what they make of it.

13. Mulch

Psychedelic

stock was written more metaphorically

the problem can't be blamed on hardware when you look at the chart showing the performance of the source games. you can blame other developers a gpu makers for some of this, sure, but when valve beuilt the OS AND ported their own games and windows still is 30% faster... they bungled it

i dont play my games on the steam box i have myself, i stream them from my main rig so it is not aproblem for me

but people who took the risk and spent the cash on the steam ecosystem gamble are likely not in the best of holiday spirits right now

do i think valve will improve, of course, but there may be a brick wall they cant control hitting

do i think they damaged the new brand when it really needed to hit one out of the park? yes, sadly I do and i hope they not only go into overdrive to fix the problems quickly for xmas morning, but i hope the bad press doesn't end the experiment right out of the gate

as a matter of fact, 2 manufacturers debuting new steam machines opted to ship with windows instead of steamos at the last minute. this is NOT a good development

http://venturebeat.com/2015/11/13/why-one-pc-maker-decided-not-to-ship-a-steam-machine-this-year/

14. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Without DirectX support, relying only on OpenGL support? No surprise. This is a known issue. I suspect a turn around soon, but waiting for the latest OpenGL release to come out to be compared against DX12 to see how they stack up before making any solid timelines on the SteamOS getting a turnaround. It is honestly heavily dependent on factors outside of Valve's control, they can only do so much to fix it. They could have the most flawless non-DirectX implementation ever released, yet it can still pale to a windows machine. Game makers need to make games with OpenGL full support and optimized, and OpenGL needs to be attractive enough and popular enough to get developers to do so. Valve is helpless beyond their own studio to influence this. Maybe Steam Machines will encourage some places to push for OpenGL builds instead of DX, hoping to get some bleed-over into a console market if they are a PC heavy studio, for example. I am not sure how the big studios who make for all consoles feel, since they already develop in DX for XBox, but only use a heavily modified proprietary version of OpenGL for PS. So they can go either way with PC. Usually it seems they do most development in DX, and if GL is there, it usually doesn't perform as well. They can't cross over Sony's proprietary API, but DX is the same on XBox and PC, so it makes sense to keep it in that architecture. SteamOS, if it gets enough positive attention, may encourage studios to switch to ONE API, instead of 2-3. Develop in OpenGL, and you can sell the game for PCs and these new consoles, without having to pay royalties to develop for Microsoft and Sony, and saving TONS of development time by not needing to develop on multiple platforms and optimize for multiple different types of systems.

Consoles WILL die. PC gaming will be the king in the end. WHEN consoles will die is unclear, but without a doubt, easily within my natural lifetime. I still predict Nintendo will stand, with their systems as more 'toys', since they have kept to that same model since the beginning. They aren't trying to compete with the big boys, they carved their own niche. They might just end up as handhelds, maybe ones that are fully synced and integrated with a home console and emulates a tablet to PC model, but on a simplified scale meant for kids and specifically targeted towards content for kids such as games and media. Microsoft will be hanging up XBox soon, most likely even within the current CEO's tenure. It will fit less and less as the market changes, and Microsoft will focus on keeping up with Tablets and pushing gaming on them, making a Microsoft based home media center the centralized hub, with tablets all synced to it. They don't need an XBox to compete with it, because there will be things it can't do that a home media computer can do. It will be too niche, not worth the cost, especially since the same games can be made more easily for PC, and will integrate much better with tablets when not locked into a dedicated console.

Valve sees the writing on the wall. They are getting in at the very start of the market shift away from PCs, to home media systems and mobile devices. Gamers will want a more powerful home media system than non gamers who just need ones that are essentially DVRs with big hard drives. They are getting an OS out there, which is smart, because Sony is NOT keeping up and will fall first (unless Microsoft simply pulls out before the market demands them to in order to focus efforts on an integrated home media/ gaming system that is sold to an audience beyond gamers).

Valve just needs to keep plugging at it, doing the good work they do. They are in early enough to make mistakes, so when the time for a move comes, they will be ready with a heavyweight contender. And, once again, they are heavily dependent on the market and other technologies that are out of their hands. They can set an example, make the best stuff they can, and hope for the best. I am rooting for them. This was a smart move. Media likes to bury people, but they are just trying to sell clicks. They don't see what is happening beyond the surface, and how important and big these moves are. This is nothing to get panties in a twist about. Give it time to marinate, everyone in the know was expecting bumps with all these releases. Time will tell, not the initial release. Fallout: New Vegas was a bug-riddled disaster when it was released. It went on to win countless awards and is the heavily favored Fallout game. Same reason I am holding out for Fallout 4. Bethesda has fixed their messes before, though they still have their share of misses. Valve has a history of popping out solid fucking gold, and anything less is worked on tirelessly until it meets that same standard... or they cull it. They aren't in it for the money, they are in it for the love of gaming. If you love what you do, if what you put out is your baby and your soul, it shows. That is why it never has been, nor ever will be as long as Gabe is in charge, a publicly traded company. They love their baby too much to put a price on it and let money dictate it.

15. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

how much did that controller cost, and how does it connect?

16. Mulch

Psychedelic

preorder was $50 and came with portal 2 and rocket league

connects either wirelessly via dongle and AA batteries OR somewhat short USB cable

been having a blast with it playing "rollers of the realm"

17. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

i may need to get myself one :)

18. Mulch

Psychedelic

i have changed my mind on this controller

it has its appeal, but if you love your xbox controller, stick with it.the steam controller is more attuned to pc games that never designed a hand held controlleer

it works fine, but after playing prototype 1 and 2, and assassins creed syndicate, i say the xbox controller is superior in 9 out of 10 instances. the 10th instance, steam controller reigns supreme, but really, the steam controller is really for using a mouse and keyboard when you dont have/would rather not use that instead of a controller

if the game is best played with a controller, the xbox controller is a better buy. if you would prefer a controller but the game would prefer a mouse and keyboard, the steam controller is the way

19. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I need one of the special edition Fallout 4 XBox 360 controllers.

Just sayin,

20. Mulch

Psychedelic

you know, you being the recipient of a steam controller and then refusing to try it, despite me buying you the controller AND a game that you can play on your computer with it, and you dont, means you just need to STFU because you have absolutely NO POSITION IN THIS CONVERSATION

all that being said, is that i absolutely LOVE steam in home streaming

i thought it was amazing using my 8 core cpu and 7950 gpu to stream my games to my linux pc. the game, prototype 2 absolutely DIED on a ati gpu. but i stream it 1080p from my laptop nvidia gpu (onto my ati gpu) and it is amazing and almost flawless, aside from a few badly timed skips

if you were to buy 1 of the 2 $50 steam peripherals this season, i sincerely believe that that the $50 steam link is the better bang for your buck than the controller, trust me... i have tested the alternative