The New Second Life Forums Are Up

Discussion in 'news' started by VainlyVirtual, 2 Mar 2011.

1. Pep

Pep Eats Mars for breakfast

The New Forums have failed already. The heavy handed Genn Moderator has driven all but some of the Ladies Who Lunch from the Forums already and the flow of posts has dried up massively, particularly since it is overly complex to post images which means that all the vain drive-bys won't bother.

Pep (announced some time ago he would be retiring from the official forums.)

2. LeeHere Absent

LeeHere Absent Just Lee
    Creative

Well then it's a good thing we have your pruny ass here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful

Maybe I'm still a newb but, what did everyone think LL's forums were actually for? It was never facebook, twitter , plurk etc etc ....I always thought they were for info exchange and resident help/ideas etc etc. All the GD forums ended up being were mostly leg lifting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dale Innis

Dale Innis Sugarbear

But people will always wander off into related topics, meta-discussion, and so on. Heavy-handed moderation of such things just turns people off.

• Like Like x 2
  5. colleen Criss

Cheerful

Sure but really, some of it was such bs and vicious non sense attacks on everything form personal RL tp lifestlye RP choices , I mean really ....why NOT blog or make a fourm like this. NO WAIT ...send all that to one of the other forums! *slaps head* what was I saying !!

I think religion, politics, race and personal lifestyle choices real or otherwise, should just never be discussed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

I have a new-fond respect for you, esteemed one.

7. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

general discussion is what draws the experienced users. its unlikely that experienced users will simply hover about waiting for somebody to ask 'how do i open a box?'
    every time they do this sort of thing the community pays the price. in 2006 they killed gd and users abandoned them for 3rd party forums. they did it again with jive, and there was another exodus to 3rd party forums. seemingly unable to learn, they are doing it again. the end result is the most knowledgeable users and the users with historical knowledge of sl are nearly all found on 3rd party forums. the people with the most to offer 'resident answers' are no longer there.

• Like Like x 4
  8. colleen Criss

Cheerful

Well I hate to see that happen for the new residents sakes, maybe this time now that there are mods they will not just mod but help too. I don't know the answer really I don't I didn't get here till the end of 07 and when I discovered the forums they were already out of control. Maybe more Lindens will be more active this time besides Torley.

9. Dale Innis

Dale Innis Sugarbear

Yeah, I mean in a way it'd be ideal to have the Official Forums just for nice simple questions and answers, so the issues and opinions and debates and rancor and all could be off in the third-party forums. But as Nina says, what would motivate the people who actually know the answers to hang around in such a place? (Just waiting for someone to ask how to open a box haha.)

General Discussion seems like a good approach to that; allow some freewheeling discussion to keep the people who know stuff interested in hanging around, so that they will be there to answer the newcomers' questions...

• Like Like x 3
  10. Govi

Govi Ça va chier.
    Bitchy

Trying to make the new forum show subscribed threads is a struggle, involving going to your profile then selecting the tab for subscriptions, then selecting the sub-tab for the actual subscriptions. There's nothing at the greeting page to clue you to do this. Also, if you subscribe, there is no non-email subscription: you have to accept emails from the forum as the price for subscribing.

They persist in these PITA solutions to problems which they have never fully explained, but which seem to boil down to: a forum requires too much LL staff participation, so LL needs a solution that minimizes that. They will never get it. When they decide that a healthy forum that is useful to all levels of participants is a good marketing tool, they will get it; but they will never decide that because it means that they have to listen to their customers' complaints and criticisms.

• Like Like x 4
  11. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

While I do agree with the spirit of the above post I feel constrained to point out that one particular word in the above sentence constitutes TMI in my book.

12. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I spent a bit of time on the official forums back in late '06 but I never knew what a forum could be until I wandered into SC1 in Jan '07. It was beyond exhilarating and changed my life.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pep

I just thought it was amusing that Tout Rot said about Pep - over in Offworld - that she could "smell him by two kilometers".

Once you get past the fractured English, it is pretty apparent that her olfactory capabilities are not that great, given that I have it on good authority that Pep has been posting prolifically - as an alt, of course; it wouldn't do for him to compromise his inworld experience - from the getgo of the Lihtium forums, and will continue to do so . . .

Pep ( . . . and Tout Rot hasn't noticed.)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

I did not announce retirement, but I may just stop posting.

Or not.

15. Ishtara

Ishtara Persnickety Pink Pixie

/me wonders what Pep had for supper. :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Caity

Caity Should Update Title
    Lonely

:eek:

17. colleen Criss

Cheerful

Don't retire. Why leave that forum. It doesn't make sense . I don't mean sit around and wait for a newb to ask a help question but I'm going to at least look and check and see if there are any that need SL help/info.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bunnie

Bunnie Everybody loves the sunshine.
    Baked

I haven't read or participated on the official forums for...a few years I think. So I am completely lost when I read some of this.

:dizzy:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pep

Well, to give you a clue, I don't even *like* fish and chips!

Pep (occasionally likes fish finger sandwiches, but that is a completely different thing.)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sole Demina

Sole Demina Proud Redhead

mmmmhh.... new SL forums look to me more like a dictatorship dream than forums which should be open to anyone's opinion. On the other hand, we should have been prepared for that, shouldn't we ? There were clear hints just before the closing down...talks of brooms, etc...
    :rolleye:

• Like Like x 2