This is a test thread.

Discussion in 'gV engineering' started by Fmeh, 5 Sep 2012.

1. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

I am testing to see if I can copy and paste the text in my own post without the forum putting unnecessary text into the clipboard.

2. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

3. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

this is an actual post

it is not a test. it is not a drill

it is an actual post

as far as the letters at the end, it is intentional. it is software that allows you to see where your traffic comes from when it comes from a link. it is quite useful if you are curious to see how people found your site or if you are optimizing a site for a specific audience. i suspect NiƱa put it there for a reason and is unlikely to take it away. the good news is the link works fine. the better news is that you can easily manually remove it if you want the referring link to be sooper sekrit (except one can examine server logs and see the same information without the code. the code just helps the webmaster AGGREGATE information to help them understand traffic patterns)

in other words, ignore it. it may not be the prettiest link but it will help your webmaster out to leave it in and is actually likely to aggregate info instead of tracing it to a specif IP, which CAN be done via the server logs

*end actual post*

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

I can't just "ignore it", it screws up the text-entry/editing area totally. It changes the text to black and the background to white from the point the extra added text is and on--it doesn't matter if you delete the extra text, the background color and the text color changes make the text entry area a complete mess. Please look at the image I supplied.

I guess for now I'll have to paste to Notepad first, delete the extras, and then re-copy it and then paste it in here as to not get that white background with black text issue.

6. Mulch

Mulch Why does the drum come hither?
    Psychedelic

sorry. i was simply addressing the letters, which i recognize from my own forum. you can go over there and grab a quote and check it out for yourself.

now, as far as color, it sounds like (i am not sure, this is NOT my forum) a style sheet attribute or 10 are getting copied.

try this, when you paste, in the edit box to the upper right there is a button with 2 letter A's; one black, the other blue, italicized and underlined as if it were a link

ctrl-A in the edit box to select all (you can select all the text you pasted any way you want). once it is selected, click on that "A" button

i think that may fix it for you

7. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

Yeah, that works, thanks, switching back and forth between editing modes. I've seen some strange mods on forums, this is definitely one of the stranger ones.

8. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

What browser are you using?

If I'm not mistaken this is a Google Chrome (and all Chrome based browsers, Dragon, Chromium, etc) feature and not part of the forum, C&P in Firefox does not provide this 'feature'. Experiment and let me know.

9. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

I'm using Firefox, it's the only browser besides IE that I've installed on this machine. I have the following extensions installed: Noscript, Greasemonkey (for a youtube reply issue), AdBlock Plus, Easy YouTube Video Downloader, FireFTP, and Unsocialize (it makes it so you can click people's links to news stories in Facebook and it won't try to install a Facebook app to read it, it'll just take you to the actual story).

10. Lain

Lain End of line. #resist
    Sneaky

How odd. I cannot get the behavior to repeat in Firefox only in Chrome based browsers (all of them do it including Dragon).

11. Fmeh

Fmeh Pants
    Happy

Don't know if this helps or not, but I'm using the Dark theme.

12. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

how did i miss this thread?
    the 'read more' thing is a function of tynt.
    the pasting of colour-formatted text is completely unrelated and out of our control. some browsers, most notably chrome, copy style information from copy and pass it on in paste in the tinymce editor (which is the editor we use). this was HUGELY problematic on gV because there was both a dark and a light style, which not only doubled the likelihood that a paste would look ugly, but also created problems when content was pasted from within the site or even when ppl simply used colour in posts. neither xenforo or tinymce made any way available to disable this 'feature', so we did that ourselves. it was one of the earliest xf modifications we made available to other communities using xenforo. you will notice that despite the coloured backgrounds and text and all being pasted into the editor they are never parsed and posted.

• Like Like x 2