usergroups breakdown

Discussion in 'news' started by Mars, 14 Feb 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mars

Mars MCP
    vbulletin4

as mentioned earlier, changes have been made to inhabitant usergroups. these changes were necessary for a few different reasons; reasons that may not be obvious at this time.
    usergroups serve two major functions on gV. the most obvious purpose the granting of user permissions. some usergroups will be able to undertake actions that other permissions cannot. the second, and less obvious, function is the available scope of moderation actions. the higher the usergroup, the more insulated the user becomes against interface units.

many inhabitants will have received a new trophy: inhabitant II. the criteria for this trophy is 66 trophy points. once a user accumulates 66 trophy points they are awarded the inhabitant II trophy and moved into a new usergroup. this new usergroup allows an inhabitant to have/edit a signature and to invite up to five people to a private conversation. these are the only two front-end elements to the usergroup.

some inhabitants will not have received the inhabitant II trophy. while technically their usergroup does not permit signatures, it has been decided that existing signatures will remain, with the caveat that the signature is non-editable until such time that the inhabitant II trophy is secured*.

here is a breakdown of the existing usergroups and what they are made up of.

new arrival - the initial usergroup. all new registrations to gotVirtual start in this group. this group is a bot-trap. new arrivals are not expected to spend much time within this group.
    new arrival may:
    • post and reply to threads
    • post and reply to profiles
    • post status updates
    • initiate conversation with up to 1 recipient per conversation
    inhabitant- members must make 3 posts and accrue 10 likes to enter this usergroup.
    inhabitant may:
    • 'like' content (posts, profile comments)
    • upload attachments
    • view moderation notices
    • set custom user title
    • initiate conversation with up to 3 recipients per conversation
    inhabitant II- members must accrue 66 trophy points to enter this usergroup
    inhabitant II may:
    • initiate conversation with up to 5 recipients per conversation
    • have a signature
    • change username once per 180 days
    • choose a mood
    inhabitant III- members must accrue 159 trophy points to enter this usergroup.
    inhabitant III may:
    • initiate conversation with up to 10 recipients per conversation
    • create albums, and upload images to their user albums
    more usergroups and permissions will be revealed in due time...

*a technical sidenote:
    trophies are awarded via a cronjob that runs every 30 minutes. a person that has achieved the requisite goals to earn a trophy may have to wait as long as 30 minutes for the trophy to become active and the usergroup change to occur.

vigorous debate of this policy is encouraged, but under no circumstances should the thread be derailed or used as a venue to deride one another.
    let us make this more clear: the MCP will not, under any possible circumstances, tolerate off-topic commentary or ad hominem exchanges within the threads it initiates.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

I like cronjobs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snapper O'Callaghan

Snapper O'Callaghan It's not a hug. I'm not finished strangling you.

How totally unspecial.

4. Inhabitant II cannot: ?

A tad vague, no? (:confused:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clancy

Diggingit

Replace "Yo, dawg" with "Special", and you will be right as rain, my man.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Liona Clio

Liona Clio Poetry in Motion
    Benevolent

Soooooo...why is Mars restricting sigs to senior members again? Does this have to do with the "sigs as attack weapons" kerfluffle? Or is there a rational reason for not letting casual posters on gV have the right to this bit of personalization?

7. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

It can't be the kerfuffle, as the sig attack against me shows. I would think the culprit would have been classified as virii by now if it were a problem. What's more, the culprit has just been given inhabitant II status!

• Like Like x 1
  8. margaret mfume

margaret mfume g Village agitator

Perhaps that would be an invite for community input.

9. Love

Love Feel the love
    Bored

Oh. I took as we're not allowed to question.

• Like Like x 3
  10. margaret mfume

margaret mfume g Village agitator

ooo, I like that... rescind the inhabitant II status of anyone who questions the rules. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. I was ready to say PROFIT!!! (^_^)

• Like Like x 2
  12. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I think if anyone around here requires negative attention from the planets they should be cronjobbed.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

Sounds like a good way to get people to post more. "OOH! Pretty permissions and trophies! It's like a game! OH wow, look at my "score", I better get to posting!"
    The rewards for Likes is important though, since it helps make people want to post "thoughtfully". That doesn't mean it has to be nice, just... thought put into it.

Anyway, it's funny that I had thought about changing my sig last night, now I'll have to wait til I'm a lvl 2 Inhabitant to do it. :D I don't even remember what it was going to be :shrug: oh well, no biggie really.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Clancy

Diggingit

This measure should reduce the number of digital terrorists posting around here. Huzzah!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1

15. (^_^)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

No one told me there would be a quiz.

17. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I think our trophy status should be displayed in our profile pictures and the link can lead to the help page that defines the trophy privileges.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

It already is. Clicking on any forum av already brings up info on trophy points, postcount, likecount. The numbers are hotlinks and take a viewer to the appropriate page on that person. Is a link to a help page really necessary?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy HUZZAH!
    Scurvy

I don't know. I think the lack of Trophy status on our forum AV is kind of the same as not having post numbers. People seem to like not having post counts there, so it just seems like trophy status would be along the same lines. Yes?

• Like Like x 5
  20. GradyE

GradyE Hybrid Angel
    Angelic

I'm not keen on having number stats visible on forum avs. If anyone cares, it's easy enough to bring up a person's forum stats. God knows there are enough other forums encrusted with forum bling.

• Like Like x 7