zFire Xue (redzone guy) goes to prison

Discussion in 'theGrid' started by nina, 2 Aug 2011.

1. nina

nina still prettier than you
    Nerdy

• Like Like x 5
  2. Liona Clio

Liona Clio Poetry in Motion
    Benevolent

Okay...who wants to give me the history lesson on RedZone? What did it do, and why was Prime banned from SL by a federal judgment?

3. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

I posted this comment on that blog (which will probably not make it out of que)

"His other products and servers are back in Second Life (he probably has a friend handling them for the next 24 months). this may be a new trend where you post all real life information about Second Life member's interactions with law enforcement (that is, until someone sues you for invasion of privacy). It was never proven he did anything against the ToS in SL. SL changed the ToS to outlaw what he was doing and he stopped doing it. He never harvested SL passwords and changed his product to comply with LL. At least the witch hunt allows blogs and forums to get paid through google ad clicks."

4. Clancy

Clancy The drama is better at Hungry Jack's
    Diggingit

Lias, I'm so glad that this fellow has you defending him.

Ha-ha, not really.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

I'm with Liona, I want the whole story. From what little I was able to gather from the website, it just seemed that he made a viewer/ object that was able to IP ban avatars and their alts. Then LL changed their ToS cause they didn't like that. What am I missing here?

• Like Like x 1
  6. nina

Nerdy

it was an alt-tracking system. it exploited the media features of the viewer and kept a log of which avs used which ip addresses and was sold as an anti-copybot 'security' system. there was outrage and much drama ensued including hacking his website, meatsearch investigations, you tube videos discovered, and thousands and thousands of posts on slu.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Kita

Kita Should Update Title

Why did this turn into RL legal action? What irreparable harm did he do to land that? Was he the one tracking people and exposing them?

8. nina

Nerdy

well his legal issues began unrelated to sl. i think the only relevancy of sl to his imprisonment is that his sl activities violated his probation.
    and he did facilitate the tracking/outting of people. he is a real dirtbag and i dont have a bit of sympathy for him at all.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

that is exactly what happened. And then after he complied, Oz Linden let it leak that he was going to go to this guy's in-world mall and destroy all content. So Oz Linden had a cheering audience in the sim when he tore apart this guy's property and vendors. So much for privacy of account action from Linden Lab.

10. Liona Clio

Benevolent

A LL rep, who could have just brought the sim offline for this, instead made a public spectacle of deleting a user's content while other users cheered him on?

Sounds way too dramatic. I disbelieve.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jolene

Jolene Sarah's Apparent Alt
    Amazed

Don't listen to Lias. She doesn't have the smallest clue on zFire or what RedZone did.

She only did her usual of defending the indefensible. She admitted that she didn't even read the thread in question.

And yup, he wasn't allowed anywhere near online fraud as part of his probation. He's lucky that he got off this easy.

He was still selling things on EBay that had questionable existence, which was like his first crime, which involved screwing people out of their goods using false credit cards.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Jolene

Amazed

Oh, he totally deserved it. He was not only recording people's ip's and matching them to sl avatars, he was logging them offline on his own website, putting folks he hated on a list, and setting up a similar sign in/password system that matched SL, so that he could get folks to log in using their SL passwords, then use them.

He bragged that many did just that.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

This is completely not true.

I will never understand why some go into fever pitch to use rumours and innuendo to bury complete strangers on the internet. I don't know what they get out of it.

[​IMG]

14. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

http://alphavilleherald.com/2011/03/zfire-xue-and-redzone-collide-with-banhammer.html

"Tuesday evening Soft Linden ventured in-world to delete zFire Xue’s merchandise after banning Mr. Xue from Second Life. Word spread quickly and a crowd of zf Redzone critics gathered at the empty Mad Sci City Shopping Mall to witness the historic event. When I visited, the sim had reached its capacity – 40 avatars slowly rezed into view along with a number of pro-privacy signs."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lias

Lias Open Community!
    Arsey

He never tracked anyone. The Redzone system would save the IP address of greifers and allow the networked system to ban them on all of the owner's properties and ban any alts they created using that same computer.

A lot of people did not like it because of it's banning capabilities. Then people dug into the creator's real life (by checking to see who was the owner of his website) and found out that he had real life legal problems. Then that was posted everywhere. His parole issues are from some real life legal issues he had and not from the RedZone debacle.

16. Liona Clio

Benevolent

Huh. Thanks, Lias...Proof that nothing can be done in Second Life subtly.

17. Jolene

Amazed

It IS true. Do I need to post his video bragging about it? Really?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jolene

Amazed

You are such a fucking liar in this case.

First off, you never even read HALF of what he was up to. You jumped into that thread when it was done and over.

You don't have the first fucking clue what he was doing, admitting that you didn't even know what it was all about.

Oh, yes, he tracked folks. NOT griefers! Anyone who ventured onto land that had a redzone unit on. ANYONE, ANY Land that had a REDZONE Unit. Your ip was recorded as soon as you set foot on it, as long as you had media enabled. No warning, nothing.

How does that equate to griefers?

He then shared that information across the grid to anyone who bought his system. I know, because I got his demo unit. Just stop with your bullshit for once.

YOU, or I could look up ANYONE's alts.

Stop lying Lias.

You won't be changing the history on this one.

A LOT of people didn't like it because they could go to ANY parcel in SL, and have their ip logged and compared against any other ip, and sometimes even falesely identified as an alt. to anyone that ponies up the, what was LL's for the unit? It was quite high to spy on your fellow SL users.

Funny how none of that was available when he was put in jail.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jolene

Amazed

Yeah, his real life issues are from the fact that he wasn't allowed to be using the internet to screw people out of money again!

His first crime was to screw little old woman out of their goods via EBay by using stolen credit cards to pretend to buy expensive items, such as family jewels, like !5, 000 necklaces.

Funny govt, told him he couldn't fuck around on the internet again.

He did.

He was STILL selling umpteem items via Ebay when he was caught with RedZone. What do you make of that, hmm?

He wasn't to be allowed anywhere near there, yet he created a new acct.

Stop defending the indefensible.

It's getting really old.

• Like Like x 4
  20. colleen Criss

colleen Criss Your life will never be the same again.
    Cheerful